How to Avoid Ice Cream Freezer Burn

How to Avoid Ice Cream Freezer Burn

Pin It ButtonsI’ve got a fun, simple little trick from my father-in-law to share with you today…  How to Avoid Ice Cream Freezer Burn!

If your ice cream isn’t being gobbled up quickly, we all know about that icky fuzzy little freezer burn it can develop.

Well… here’s a simple way to avoid that ~ all you’ll need is a small piece of saran wrap!

After you dish out your ice cream… just place a small piece of saran wrap right on top of the ice cream.

Push down to flatten it against the ice cream… then put the lid back on before you pop it back into the freezer.

When you’re ready to dish out some more ice cream, just peel back the saran wrap… dish it up, then cover it back up with the saran wrap and lid.

The air is what causes the freezer burn, so this simple little trick will keep those icky frozen fuzzies away!

Be sure to also check out these Kitchen Tips!

The Secret Trick to Keeping Cookies Fresh!

The Secret Trick to Keeping Cookies Fresh

How to Keep Strawberries Fresh!

How to Keep Strawberries Fresh at TheFrugalGirls.com

14 Favorite Kitchen Timesaver Tips!

Favorite Kitchen Time-Saver Tips

24 Responses to How to Avoid Ice Cream Freezer Burn

1. Hope says:

wow what a great idea cant wait to try it!

2. Patti says:

great to know about eliminating ice cream freezer burn. I’ve tossed out more than enough due to that problem – thanks, Heidi (and Joe – who tipped Heidi on this) you’ve yet again been very informative.

3. This is a priceless tip! Thanks! I waste tons of ice cream due to freezer burn.

4. ann says:

aluminum foil works great also; you’re right, it’s the air getting to it.

5. Holly says:

Duh! Such a simple idea, but I never thought of it. Thanks!

6. Dina says:

Thanks for the tip! My husband is the only ice cream eater in the house (although I’m sure our two year old will follow his foot steps LOL!)
    Once it gets freezer burnt he won’t eat it now I know how to save the ice cream.

7. pam says:

I use wax paper, it works too.

8. Lydia says:

What a great idea!

9. We use the plastic tubbie and a carton might fit inside that.

10. Kaye says:

Great tip! I had no idea!

11. Sherry says:

I am definitely trying this one! :D Thank you for posting it!

12. Oh!!!!!!! What an easy thing to do!!! Thank you for the tip!!

13. Angela says:

What a great idea. I definitely have thrown away a good share of freezer burned ice cream (of course, in desperation, I have also been known to scoop off the top layer in hopes of finding good ice cream)

14. Melissa says:

We do this, too! It really does work!

15. Ashley says:

Do you flatten it AGAINST the ice cream, or just a tight cover under the lid?

16. Heidi says:

Hi Ashley ~ yes… you’ll want to flatten it against the ice cream.

All this ice cream talk is definitely making me in the mood for some ice cream!! :)

17. Amy says:

Great idea! And easy, I’ll have to try it out!

18. Jenn says:

Wait, some people really take so long to eat their ice cream that it gets freezer burn? That is definitely NOT my house, but thanks for the great tip!

19. Mara says:

Nothing makes me more sad than seeing freezer burned ice cream (ok, so that’s not completely true, but it’s right up there!). If your ice cream DOES get freezer burned, don’t throw it out! I’ve salvaged many a carton by using it in a smoothie/shake – and amazingly you can’t tell at all! The last one I made was black cherry ice cream and I threw in some frozen fruit (pineapple I think), and whatever we had in the fridge (blueberries, yogurt, orange juice or milk)….de-lish!

20. imyz says: