Like it? Pin it!
Following is a guest post by Lisa at Wine & Glue… enjoy!!
The amazing taste of birthday cake, but in a pie!!
Hi there Frugal Girls Readers! I’m so happy to be here today! I’m Lisa from Wine & Glue, a blog all about recipes, easy diys, and my crazy life as a stay at home mom.
Today, I am going to show you a pie that is going to blow your mind.
Are you ready?
It’s filling is made from . . .
I know, right??
It’s called a bomb pie, and I swear it is the first original pie I have ever made and probably the last type of original pie I will ever make. I first read about bomb pies from Ashton at Something Swanky, and since reading about it I have sort of become obsessed.
So when I was walking through the grocery store and spotted Birthday Cake Oreos, I immediately decided that they needed to be in my belly, and the greatest form of delivery would be a pie!
This pie is so good! It really does have that classic cake batter flavor but in a pie.
You might think a pie made out of cookies would be weird and crunchy, but the filling combines flour, butter, eggs, vinegar (which helps break down the cookies), and vanilla. I also use sweetened condensed milk, because, honestly, there is no problem that SCM cannot solve.
The end result is a pie that is sweet, soft, delicious, and melts in your mouth.
The other great thing about bomb pies?
Just think of all the different flavor combinations! Recently I made a Chocolate Bacon Bomb Pie with a Pretzel Crust (it was so good I had to send it off with my husband to work immediately). And I have also made Dulce de Apple Streusel Pie, combining apple cereal bars and homemade dulce de leche.
So the next time you need to bring a dessert, think of your favorite cookie, something extra and yummy that would compliment it (like bacon, caramel sauce, pecans, mint chips, cherry M&M’s, dried fruit . . . the possibilities are endless), and throw it into a pie with some eggs, butter, flour, vinegar, and vanilla. And if you are like me, top it off with some Sweetened Condensed Milk. You will end up with a totally original totally delicious homemade pie!
Oreo Cookie Birthday Cake Pie
- 1 packaged Golden Birthday Cake Oreos
- 1 premade pie crust
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 TBSP flour
- 1 TBSP vinegar
- Cool Whip for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread 1/3 of the sweetened condensed milk in the unbaked pie crust.
- Crumble 1/3 of the Oreos and throw them in to the pie crust. Top with another 1/3 of the sweetened condensed milk.
- Crumble another 1/3 of the Oreos and throw them in. Top with the remaining sweetened condensed milk.
- In a large bowl, mix the eggs, butter, sugar, vinegar, and flour.
- Pour over the Oreo mixture. Rather than mixing it all together, just move spoonfuls of the pie filling around, allowing the egg mixture to seep in.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the top becomes golden brown and the middle has minimal jiggle.