How to Keep Bananas Fresh!

How to Keep Bananas Fresh Tip at TheFrugalGirls.com

Would you like to keep your bananas from ripening too quickly??

Following is a kitchen tip shared by frugal friend Marsha…

“You may already know this… but if you separate your bananas {at the top} when you bring them home, they won’t ripen up so fast!”  😉

How to Keep Strawberries Fresh at TheFrugalGirls.com

Got a kitchen tip or trick??

Leave a comment & share!

The Frugal Girls on Pinterest | TheFrugalGirls.com

The Frugal Girls on Facebook

The Frugal Girls on Google+ | TheFrugalGirls.com

Comments

1. Amy says

Well, I’ll be darned! I swear I thought that they’d stay fresh longer if they WERE together. I thank you for this!!!! I’ll be sure to pull ’em apart for now on.

2. kim says

Also, never put them by apples. bananas touching apples, for some reason, ripen faster. It’s what I do when I need to make banana bread and the bananas aren’t ripe enough :)

• Lorna says

I just read this on another Pin…to ripen bananas for an ‘I need banana bread NOW’ kind of moment, place on a baking sheet and stick in a 350 degree oven for 8-10 mins. Perfect mushy consistency.

3. Maureen says

I also found a way to keep banana’s over a week. I leave them in the plastic bag the one you put veggies in when you check out at the grocery store. If you leave them in there and put them in the fridge, they will last over a week. Promise this really works.Have a wonderful day.

4. Jessica says

It’s because bananas and all fruit naturally emit ethylene gas, which is a signal for them to ripen. Clustering the fruit just multiplies this effect and that’s why they ripen faster.

5. says

During warm weather months rinse bananas off immediately when you bring then home from the market to avoid pesky fruit flies – they’ve yet to mature/”hatch” – the water washes them away & won’t affect your bananas in any way!