How to Make Pretty Rose Frosting Cupcakes

Pin It Post Buttons

On the hunt for a fun and downright adorable gift, table centerpiece, or party treat?

Frugal friend Kathy made this bouquet of Rose Frosting Cupcakes as a gift for her neighbor ~ aren’t they gorgeous??

Guess what ~ she shared her tips and tricks, so you can make some too!

Ingredients:

How to Make Pretty Rose Frosting Cupcakes
Author:

Ingredients
  • Mini Cupcakes {bake, then let cool completely}
  • Buttercream Frosting {Timesaver Tip: purchase this directly from your local bakery, or the bakery in your grocery store!}
  • Pastry Bag with Coupler and Rose Tip
  • Decorative Container
  • Floral Foam Piece
  • Wooden Skewers {just like the ones we used for the 4th of July Fruit Kabobs}
  • Optional: Rose / Flower Nail {similar to a pedestal} and Waxed Paper Squares used to make roses
Instructions
  1. Insert floral foam piece into your decorative container
  2. Frost cupcakes like a rose {watch a step-by-step rose tutorial video or check out these step-by-step photos from Wilton}
  3. You can either frost on a rose nail first {like in the video}… or just frost directly onto the cupcake.
  4. Tip: If piping directly onto the cupcake, frost the cupcake first, then immediately pipe the flower onto the frosting before it sets. The flower will stick better to ‘wet’ frosting.
  5. Practice a bit and have fun ~ you’ll get the hang of it!
  6. Once frosting flowers have dried, attach cupcakes to wooden skewers
  7. Then carefully press wooden skewers into floral foam piece
  8. All done ~ and 110% gorgeous!!
  9. These would make great Valentine’s Day Gifts, Mother’s Day Gifts, or…. any day gifts!

Yum

Thanks to Kathy in Connecticut for this fun idea!!  Thanks for supporting The Frugal Girls!

Get inspired with even more Cupcake Recipes!

How to Make Oh-So-Cute Peeps Cupcakes!

Peeps Cupcakes Recipe

Peeps Gingerbread Spice Cupcakes!

Peeps Gingerbread Spice Cupcakes

Candy Cane Cupcakes Recipe!

Candy Cane Cupcakes

Comments

1. Pam says

Looks like Kathy has found he niche. That’s one of the cutest things I have seen in a long time. Open a bakery Kathy!

2. Maura says

They are absolutely beautiful, but it takes a lot of practice to be able to make roses like that. Its not as easy as it looks.

3. Cathy Burks says

I am definately gonna have to try these out!!! I’m working on my cake decorating skills and these are adorable!

4. jill says

Those rose cupcakes are beautiful! But just thinking about eating that much frosting is making my teeth hurt! I’ll think I’ll just be content to look at them. :)

5. Kathy says

Thanks everyone for your compliments. Roses weren’t as hard to make as I thought they might be. I’m not a cake decorator (but I do love to dabble!) but I just practiced a little bit prior to making the ones for the top of the mini cupcakes. Really, they were fairly simple to make. Give them a try, you might be surprised!

6. Michaela says

Great Job! Roses really aren’t hard! you just have to take your time and not get psyched out by the “they’re so hard” stories! I am a cake decorator and find them fun and easy (and these are oh so beautiful!)

7. Melissa says

Fondant roses are much simpler than buttercream–not as tasty, but that might be good for those of us who are trying to avoid temptation anyway. Homemade marshmallow fondant is cheap, easy and tastes better than Wilton.

• Dawn says

Kathy, you can look up the recipe online…just go to google or ask.com…and put in marshmallow fondant recipe…it is all over the place now…lots of people are making their own because of the taste of the prepared ones in the stores…I’ve heard they are nasty…although I’ve never used it. I am learning to decorate cakes and I think you did a great job on these cupcakse…really cute idea.

8. says

Found some of the cute metal containers at Home Goods this week! Just in case anyone is looking for some.

RE: mounting the cupcakes
    I made sure they were thoroughly baked, any slightly underdone cupcakes will fall apart on the skewer (or at least mine did). Once I baked them thoroughly tho I didn’t have a problem, used bamboo skewers. You can also slide a piece of cardboard up so that it is flat along the bottom so the skewer is held in place, kind of like a nut and a screw (how unclear is that) Good luck ladies! What a pretty idea!

9. Abigail says

These are PERFECT for a cute mothers day gift! I hope my mom likes them! Im only 12, but i love baking and im sure this wont be hard at all! thank you!!!!

• says

Abigail, I’ll bet your mom LOVES it because you made it!
      Good for you for getting in the kitchen and making thoughtful, home-made gifts. They’re the best kind. ☺