Gooey Blueberry Angel Food Cake Dessert Recipe {2 ingredients!}

Angel Food Berry Cake 2 ingredients

What’s dinner without a tasty dessert??  If you’re looking for a fun Angel Food Berry Dessert, I’ve got just the thing… Gooey Blueberry Angel Food Cake!

Not only is this twist on angel food cake oh-so-yummy… it’s super easy ~ I’m talking 2 ingredients easy!!

• 1 box of Betty Crocker Angel Food Cake Mix  {I only use the Betty Crocker brand.  Do NOT use brands that have 2 mixes, like a cake mix and an egg mix… you’ll end up with the wrong consistency}.
  • 1 can of Berry Pie Filling {blackberry, blueberry, etc.} ~ approx. 22 oz.

Mix powder cake mix and pie filling together…
{don’t add any other ingredients}
Place in 9×13 ungreased baking dish…
Bake at 350 degrees for 28 – 30 minutes.
Mmm… just look at the yummy finished product…

Note:  It’s common for the cake to fall in the middle a bit after cooking… and that’s okay ~ it won’t be the consistency of your traditional angel food cake, but it WILL be a gooey blueberry tasty treat!

After cake has cooled, slice and serve warm, topped with whipped cream. It’s delish… I promise!

2-Ingredient Pineapple Angel Food Fluff Cake

Frugal Girls Email Updates

The Frugal Girls on Pinterest

The Frugal Girls on Instagram

Comments

• Brittni says

Yes, JUST THE PIE FILLING AND THE CAKE MIX. Nothing else. TWO THINGS. Mix’em.

I’ve tried this with cherry pie filling and it was delish, also!

• Diane says

I made this with a can of crushed pineapple (same size can) juice and all…it was delish…
        Mixed a small container of cool whip 1/2 c, of sliced almond and 1/2 cup coconut and put a scoop on top to serve…it was very yummy.

• Sam says

Just don’t put the coconut IN the mix ( just mix angel food cake mix plus pineapple ) and add coconut on top afterwords bc when you flip it to cool it will fall apart.

• Annie says

My husband started making pumpkin muffins like this. He uses a box of yellow or white cake mix and a can of pumpkin pie (like you mentioned). Then add pumpkin pie spice and mix it all together and bake in muffin pans. So, your idea works.

• Carla says

You can make the muffins using a spice cake mix and cut out the need for adding anything else. I’ve made 2 ingredient pumpkin muffins that way for years!

• Dorothy Bemus says

I have used Spice cake mix with pumpkin, and it us good topped with Cool Whip we hen serving. However, 2nd time, I added 3/4 cup natural applesauce and it was more moist.

• Lindsey V. says

You should try making this with lemon pie filling! So good.

Just mix a package of one-step angel food cake with one can of lemon pie filling and bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. Bake in an UNgreased 9×13 pan.

• Sue says

I found this cake kinda sinks in the middle and to prevent this I have turned it upside down to cool like you do angel food cakes and it worked great..it is now consistent … I have little handles on the side of my pan and set it up on the edge so the top of cake doesnt touch counter

• Bianca says

Had it today as breakfast, so yummy and great warm. I just served it with some almonds on the side and a cup of coffee. Closed my eyes and felt like I was in Starbucks heaven….

1. Whitney @ Coupon Wonder Mom says

OH.MY.GOODNESS! This looks delicious, I seriously have to make this! I always love the recipes you post!

2. Heidi @ The Frugal Girls! says

Yes… I know it sounds too easy to be true, but you just mix the cake powder mix and the pie filling {don't add any other ingredients}. :)

• Sue Powell says

If you make it with a 22 oz. can of crushed pineapple, you can cook it in a large angel food cake pan. If cut into 12 pieces, it counts 0 points if you eat 1 slice a day. Cool one to two hours before removing from the pan. You can serve it with a little cool whip and some sliced strawberries or cut up fresh pineapple.

• CINDY says

thank you! i was hoping someone was going to figure out the PP. :) have you all tried the recipe using cake mix with the diet soda?

• Mikki says

I just looked the WW points up (because I want to make it), and it’s 5 points a slice. 4 if you use crushed pineapple instead. Sue, I’m confused. Where did you get 0 points from? Are you using the simply filling technique?

• Rebecca says

I just calculated all the numbers out. If you do it with EITHER the pie filling OR the pineapple, 24 servings, is 2 old points or 2 points plus. No way this is 0 pts with all that sugar. I manually added this. As the other person said, if you make it 12 servings, that would bump the points up x2, or 4 old points or 5 points plus because of the sugars. Just a FYI, wouldn’t want someone to mess up their weight loss because of this error.

• Catherine says

Yes, my daughter makes it with crushed pineapple and it is AWESOME!!!!! Love the super easy Weight Watchers desserts!

3. Alexis AKA MOM says

What a GREAT idea! Love it, and I bet my boys would love it. Thanks so much for sharing, stopping by from TMTT :)

4. mom2priceboys says

Any pie filling I suppose or a can of pineapple any way,this has to be good!! Thanks for sharing.
    I bet all ingredients were under $4for 12 nice servings?

5. Donna says

Making this for Easter dinner tomorrow! Using strawberry pie filling! And together, it cost about $6 and some change (pie filling, other than apple or cherry, isn’t that cheap!)! Hope it’s great… will update 😉

• says

I tried it in a regular angel food cake pan – cooked it at 350 for 45 minutes, and it was mush! – fell right out of the pan when I turned it upside down like I always do with angel food cakes. Stick to the pan they suggested! :)

6. kristin says

I have been making a cake like this for years. You can use any box of cake mix, and I usually use a can of whole-berry cranberry sauce. You can also substitute the fruit filling for a container of yogurt. It makes a wondersul cake for trifles too!

7. Amy says

Just ran across this recipe after noticing I’ve had an Angel Food Cake mix in the pantry for quite awhile now along with a can of apple pie filling I don’t remember buying. Anyway, I just mixed this up, and it’s in the oven as I type this. It sure couldn’t be easier, and I have no doubt that it’s delicious. Can’t wait to try it! Thanks!

8. Jill says

OMG this is amazing!!! I made the blueberry one for a neighborhood gathering, I am not big on blueberries so I didn’t try it, I wish I would have now!! It was gone sooo fast, everyone LOVED it, even my 1 year old!
    A few days later I made it with cherry pie filling, it was sooo good!!! Everyone ate it up, even my picky 4 year old!
    My friend made it with strawberry filling, I didn’t think it was as good as the cherry and she didn’t think it was as good as the blueberry but it was still yummy!!
    I have apple filling, I think I will try tonight…
    Thanks for sharing!!

• Heidi says

You’re very welcome, Jill! So glad you’re liking the recipe!! There are so many fun variations you can do with this one. {yum!} 😉

9. says

awesome dessert. I made for my picky family(not) and they wanted more. will try other pie fillings and maybe different cake mixes also. wondered what the points are for weight watchers?

10. Megan M says

For a Fall variation, I do a can of Pumpkin and yellow cake mix. It’s amazing and super moist. You can throw chocolate chips in too.

• Heidi says

Hi Amber ~ I’ve never tried this in cupcake form, but if you do… let me know how it turns out! 😉

• Amber says

Hey Heidi!

Made these in cupcake form! Turned out really cool!! Made about 16 cupcakes, but make sure to fill them all the way to the top of the cups because they definitely do fall as well! Topped them with a homemade frosting of 1/4 c. butter, 1 & 1/2 c. of powdered sugar, and 2 Tbs of milk:) Thank so much for the recipe!

• Heidi says

Yay ~ I’m so glad they turned out in cupcake form too, Amber! I’m going to have to give that a try, too… thanks for letting me know!! 😉

• Debra says

Do u think it would be the same turn out with pineapple instead of blueberries? Also what oven temp how long and did u use liners or spray?

11. Sandi says

I’ve made this with crushed pineapple and it was delicious! I’ll have to try it with the blueberry. Can’t wait!

12. laura says

I mini-cupcakes using strawberry, that i blended up first to break up the berries … baked for 15 min at 350 deg. ?.. OMG! just a little bite of strawberry shortcake!

13. Lee Ann says

I made this the other night using strawberry pie filling and it was
    GREAT!!!! So easy and tasted great!

14. Kelly says

I made this tonight for Sunday dinner with my whole family. I couldn’t believe the price of the pie filling (other than apple or cherry – I wanted berry!) so I made my own. 3/4 c. water, 1 c. sugar – dissolve & warm. 2 c. frozen blueberries and – just for fun – the juice of 2 lemons. Sprinkle of salt (b/c that’s what I’d do for a blueberry pie) and thickened with 1 T. cornstarch in cold water. Worked out great and there are TONS of whole blueberries. The only issue I had was in not spraying the pan. I sprayed it lightly and it still stuck a teeny bit. Oh, also, my cake mix was weird – had 2 packets. 1 was an egg white mixture to mix first with water. Wasn’t sure how to handle that so I just put both packets in the bowl and mixed it up. Seemed to work out well but it did thrown me for a loop. I’d never made angel food cake before so I wasn’t sure if that was the norm. It’s great, though!

15. Becky Martin says

Made this tonight with Peach pie filling and it was delish!!! My husband loves peach so had to try that one first. I also have cherry and strawberry to try.

16. Vicki Milam says

I make this with a 20 oz. can of crushed pineapple, a 1/2 t. each of orange, pineapple and almond flavoring. Mix the ingredients and bake in an angel food cake pan as directed on cake mix box. Yummy! This is good for people who have calorie restricted diets.

17. Barbara says

I made this last night as an “experiment” using no sugar added cherry pie filling. I was very skeptical, based on the simplicity of it. It was delicious! We topped our individual pieces with Cool Whip. My husband at almost half the pan by himself…all but my one piece, lol. I have another in the oven right now, for a BBQ this afternoon. Now that I know it’s good…lol. I am going to spread cool whip over this one once we are at the BBQ. It did sink some…I was afraid to do as a reviewer did and turn it upside down…just pictured cake everywhere…lol.

• CINDY says

some one posted earlier that using crushed pineapple it’s 0 points per serving…it would be more if you ate more than one, though…i would like to know if using the other canned pie filling has more points….i bet that it does!

• Mikki says

It would be 4 points instead of 5 if you used pineapple instead of pie filling. The recipe isn’t be 0 points, sadly. But even 5 points per serving is great for a dessert. :)

18. Megan says

Made tonight and it was delish!! Mixed the 2 ingredients together, put into a metal 9×13 pan and cooked for 45mins at 350. The cake was perfectly cooked through and no over spill in the oven. Also, I flipped the pan on a cooling rack immediately from the oven so it could cool and not fall in the middle. Will definitely be making it again!!

19. patti says

question: it’s blueberry/strawberry season where I live. Any idea how I could make this using fresh berries instead of canned with all the added sugar/syrup?

20. Atina Kelley says

We are making this right now but we made it with cherry filling instead. cant wait to try this looks so yummy

21. Atina Kelley says

we made this is was done at 33 minutes. but i do think i needed to put some grease in the bottom but turned out great. will make again :)

22. Becky Taylor says

I just mixed this up and put it in the oven about 5 minutes ago. It is the purple-est cake I have ever seen!! I want to do one with strawberry filling and have a pink cake for my granddaughter! Then I want to try next, the pineapple, then apple filling. This is just the neatest recipe I have ever seen. Can’t wait for the first bite and we don’t even have whipped cream, but I can bet it is plenty sweet enough.
    I just love this site and want to say thank you for it!

23. Jaslynn says

Ok so, I have never in my life heard of a “Just add Water” cake mix, but apparently thats what I grabbed. It was HEB brand Angel food cake & thats ALL they had, I opened the box jus now to make this, & the cake comes w/2 pkgs, one labeled “egg white mix” & the other labeled “cake flour mix” so… Im assuming I jus skip the egg whites & only use the cake flour mix as if it were jus a reg box cake mix. Or WOULD i need to add them both, jus dry & not add the water to the “egg white mix” …..SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!! My hubby’s sweet tooth is flaring up & this was our plan for tonight. But i have been sitting here for 20 mins tryna decide wht to do about there being 2 dry packets in the box…

• Nichole says

This is the type I got too and only used the cake package and mine is flat and doesn’t look like the picture at all. Next time I’m gonna use the egg white package too.

• Heidi says

Hi Jaslynn ~ I only use the Betty Crocker brand. Do NOT use brands that have 2 mixes, like a cake mix and an egg mix… you’ll end up with the wrong consistency. Hope that helps!

24. Terri says

I made this recipe with Strawberry pie filling. Served with cool whip. OH, SO GOOD!!! I was told years ago that you should always mix an Angel Food Cake in a glass or metal mixing bowl NEVER plastic and never use a plastic spoon when stirring. As kids we were never to run in the house or slam the doors when Mom was making an angel food cake. She said that it would fall in the middle. I turned my cake upside down until it cooled. I used a glass 13 x 9 inch baking dish so the handles rested on some jellyroll pans to keep the cake from touching the table. Maybe these hints will help someone … this is a very simple cake. Only 2 ingredients but so good!!!

25. Jenny says

Made this with strawberry filling with a cream cheese frosting on top. Everyone said it tasted like strawberry cheesecake :) Can’t wait to try the other flavours!

26. colleen says

I made one with the angel food cake mix 1cup of pumpkin 1 c of water was to die for.. I used the same spices as for pumpkin pie\

27. Amy Smedley says

Make sure that the cake mix is NOT the 2 step kind. It messes up the recipe. I make this a lot and everyone enjoys it. I make a less calorie one by using less sugar varieties of pie filling.

28. Angela Ourth says

This is in the oven as I type. What a PERFECT “final BBQ of the summer” dessert. Can’t wait I try it. It will be the perfect social committee dessert at school this year, too. THANK YOU!

29. Angie Rodriguez says

I just pulled mine out of the oven, it WAS beautiful! As soon as I flipped it over to cool the center fell out. :( Any ideas as to what happened? We are still planning on having it for dessert tonight! Thank you!!

• Angie Rodriguez says

It looks like it was still a bit wet on top. The rest was delicious, will be making again soon!!! Will cook a little longer.

30. Jill Pounds says

I’m making this yummy recipe right now. The box I have has 2 mixes in it..1) angel food cake flour mixture 2) egg white mixture.Which do I add with my pie filling?
    Thanks so much!

• Heidi says

Hi Jill ~ I only use the Betty Crocker brand. Do NOT use brands that have 2 mixes, like a cake mix and an egg mix… you’ll end up with the wrong consistency. Hope that helps!

31. Amber says

My angel food cake mix came with cake mix and an egg mix. I didn’t mix in the egg part b/c you said 2 ingredients…angel food cake mix only… Well see how it comes out…

• Heidi says

Hi Amber ~ I only use the Betty Crocker brand. Do NOT use brands that have 2 mixes, like a cake mix and an egg mix… you’ll end up with the wrong consistency. Hope that helps!

32. Andrea F says

Also making this as I type. I used canned pumpkin, yellow cake mix, pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon. Said a prayer before popping it into the oven in hopes it will taste delish

33. laura says

I greased my glass baking dish out of habit, it’s in the oven now…I wonder what it will be like since it was supposed to be ungreased. :( Hopefully OK, I used strawberries & am making my Moms home-made chocolate muse for a topping.

34. Liz Bucceri says

This is very good an so easy.I picked up the Duncan Hines thinking that was the brand I had forgotten my phone so I couldn’t look at the page…But it still turned out good . I think the pan you use makes the difference . I used a 9×13 calphalon pan so it cooked even all over and looked lovely. I made the blueberry. I will make this again but I think next time I will try apple…thanks

35. says

I have made this a couple times using different pie filling flavors. I love this recipe because it’s an easy go-to dessert to bring to get-togethers and functions. Although when everyone hears how easy it is they almost seem disappointed :-) So easy yet sooo good!

36. Deborah Crawford says

You should also try a small can of pumpkin puree and a box of spice cake mix . Just mix together and bake as a cake or muffins. Sooo good!
    Also drain a can of black beans and rinse. Puree in a food processor and add a package of brownie mix and bake. You will never know there are black beans in the brownies and they will be moist and delicious!

37. Connie says

I made this last night and it was AMAZING!! BUT I had left overs so I just covered it and this morning I looked at it and it was just a big gooey mess. Is it not supposed to be edible the next day?

38. Kari says

I made this but with strawberry pie filling. It was sooo good! Like jello cake but with bits of strawberries in it. :)

39. christine neeley says

I tried 8 oz of soft cream cheese, 1/4 cup of sugar, a splash of vanilla, and lemon pie filling. came out delicious. cooked it abt 28 mins

40. British American says

I made this on Tuesday because we were having people over. My husband liked it so much that he wants it again for his birthday cake this weekend. I made it with blackberry initially, but the seeds were bothersome when you ate it. So today I’m making it with cherry instead.

41. Wendy McInteer says

Made this tonight with crushed pineapple. Awesome! Thanks for the tip on turning it over. I put a cookie sheet on top, turned it over, allowed it to cool and it came out perfect!

42. Deanna Loewen says

I just made this with just the pineapple with the juice and the pkg. of Betty Crocker angel food mix and it was awesome. Rose to the top of the 9×13 pan exactly. Company loved it and for some topped with real whipped cream and for those with intolerance to that used Cool Whip.
    Also, put some chopped walnut pieces on top for garnish.
    Trying crushed peaches next time!!
    So easy and light and few calories, if any except for the topping.

43. Annette says

I used 2 cans of pears, poured some melted butter over the top and added chopped walnuts…..it was yummy!

44. Mary Frounfelter says

Made this by using a 1 step cake mix. Added only 1 can of undrained crushed pineapple. With mixer beat altogether as directed on cake mix.(DO NOT ADD THE WATER CALLED FOR IN THE RECIPE). bAKE AS DIRECTED IN ANGEL FOOD CAKE PAN. Turn upside down on top of a bottle and let cool compleyely. This has won many hearts. Enjoy~~~~~

45. Barry says

I have made this with both the crushed pineapple and with blueberry pie filling to rave reviews!!! Just took one out of the oven that I used Comstock Lemon Creme pie filling. It did not rise like the others but sure looks good. Cooling now so we can have it for dessert tonight. I use only my UNGREASED Pyrex 9×13 and it works great!

46. Ardyce Wiemers says

I make this with Lemon pie filling and Angel food cake (one box). I bake it in a jelly roll pan and it comes out like Lemon Bars. I dust them with powdered sugar. I have taken them to bake sales and they go over well. I tried this with Cherry pie filling and it did not turn out like bars.not pretty..but still good spooned into the dish with topping.
    Don’t expect it to turn out like cake…if you bake it in a cake pan, it is more like moist Dump Cake..Not a light, fluffy cake.
    If you just want a flavored Angel Food cake, there are lots of recipes using Jello. They are pretty and tasty, too.

47. Susan says

I love this recipe! It’s so easy and there are endless ways to customize it. I’ve made this twice so far and both times it came out great. The first time I made it with blueberry pie filling and frosted it with about half a tub of Betty Crocker Whipped Cream frosting. I saved back some of the blueberry pie filling (1/4 cup) and mixed it into the frosting. It was delicious.

The second time I made it with cherry pie filling. I tasted the batter before baking, and it seemed a little too tart, so I added 1/2 cup of confectioner’s sugar to it. That was just what it needed! Again I frosted it with the Whipped Cream frosting with some of the cherry pie filling mixed in. It would also be really good unfrosted and served with ice cream. If you add confectioner’s sugar, it bakes a little faster.

Technically, neither of these are two ingredient recipes, but they are still very simple. By the way, I used a 9×13 nonstick pan and had no problems.

48. Rose says

Can’t believe something so easy can be so GOOOOD!
    I used blueberry pie filling in a bundt pan for 45 min.
    I can’t wait to try this with other pie fillings!!!!!
    Thank You, Thank You, Thank YOU for sharing with wonderful recipe!

49. cherylene says

This was a hit! I had to bake it about 47 minutes in a bundt cake pan and I turned it over after to keep it from sinking. But it looked beautiful and tasted good. Everyone loved it and had two pieces each so there was none left after one serving.

50. Get Happy says

We jazzed up the pineapple version with first layering low-fat Coolwhip then add drained Mandarin orange slices. Optionally, centering a Maraschino cherry per square is a nice presentation touch, too.

We have further discovered that 18 hours of refrigeration works great for the berry version as it ‘pudding-a-fies’ and creates a nice stand-up dessert making it more capable of additional toppings .Unless you wish to enjoy a scoop of ice cream along side of a warm square, long cooling periods work best. Just transfer to your cookie sheet or presentation plate/container after a 2-hour rest before beginning the refrigeration process. Refrigerating in the 9″ x 13″ is a mistake you’ll wish to avoid.

• Nancy Harn says

Does anyone know if you can use a sugar free angel food mix? I believe Betty Crocker makes one of these also