Easy Homemade Maple Syrup Recipe

Maple Syrup can be expensive, so for several years now… I’ve been making my own!

This recipe makes a delicious, light tasting syrup, that’s so yummy served warm!

Making Homemade Maple Syrup is truly a cinch!

• 1 Cup Water
  • 1 Cup Sugar
  • 1 tsp. Maple Extract or Mapleine Imitation Flavoring

• Bring water and sugar to slow boil over low heat, stirring continually.
  • Remove from heat before it comes to a rolling boil.
  • Stir in Maple Extract as it is cooling.
  • Serve warm.  {*Yum!*}

The best part? It costs around 1 quarter to make! :)

Since syrup doesn’t seem to last too long around here, I like to triple this recipe and store the leftovers in the fridge.

Then I just pull it out what we need, and reheat before serving again at a later date.

This syrup has become our family favorite!!  Give it a try, and see what you think!

Crockpot Monkey Bread Recipe - from TheFrugalGirls.com

Find more Fun Inspiration with The Frugal Girls here:

Button - The Frugal Girls on Pinterest
Button - The Frugal Girls on Instagram
Button - The Frugal Girls Email Updates
Button - The Frugal Girls on Facebook
Button - The Frugal Girls on Google+

Comments

1. Jen Perren says

My family uses 2cups sugar to 1 cup water and adds a splash of vanilla along with the maple flavoring. Sometimes I add frozen fruit to the sugar/water mix and make blueberry syrup or strawberry, mixed berry ect… All yummy! You can still add the other flavorings if you want to. Like I said all yummy!

2. Beth says

How long does this syrp last in the fridge? I have a large family (6 kids under 12) and want to make it in bulk. Can i store it in fridge and then reheat as needed?

• Barbara Bond says

Yes, it stores very well in the fridge. We were raised on this syrup and don’t ever use anything else.

• Jo says

Yes. I grew up with this syrup!! We kept it in the fridge and usually reheated in a hot water bath (I think mainly that was because our syrup container didn’t fit in the microwave!)

3. Heidi says

Hi Beth ~ I usually triple this recipe, and store the leftovers in the fridge. Then I just pull out what we need and reheat a little at a time. :)

4. Pat says

My Mom always used Mapleine and made our syrup, I don’t know why I haven’t been using it. Time to buy some Mapleine!

5. says

Oh I my mom made syrup when we were growing up, but used brown sugar. Syrup is so expensive (the name brand) so I’m glad to have found this recipe! This mom is going to make homemade syrup and pour it into the ‘name brand cabin’ bottle 😉 No teenagers will ever know the difference!

Thanks for sharing

6. Wendy says

to make it thicker, use light corn syrup instead of water! Super delicious! I also put it back into the name brand bottle (hehe) but make sure you remember to let it cool first!!!

7. says

We always make our own syrup, using the 2 cups sugar to 1 cup water ratio. Once when I bought a bottle from the store for a camping trip, the kids refused to eat it! I’ve always added 1-2 tablespoons of corn syrup to prevent it from crystalizing and I’ve never stored it in the refrigerator, just the pantry. Mapleine is the best!

• Denise says

Thanks for that little suggestion about the corn syrup. We’ve always made this, but have had problems from time-to-time with the crystallizing. I will try it on our next batch. And we don’t refrigerate it either.

• Priscilla says

I made the syrup, added a little corn syrup like you suggested, and put it in the pantry, as you mentioned. When I pulled it out a few days later to use it, I found mold growing in it!! Yuck!! I will be refrigerating it from now on :-(

8. lori says

This sound s great—where do you buy mapeline and where would it be located— in the spice section??? Thanks

9. says

I am going to have to try this. My husband will only eat “Real” maple syrup…..maybe I can make this and he will be happy with it though! Thank you!

10. Lori Amavisca says

Has anyone tried making it with sugar substitute, like Truvia? Would I decrease the water since I use half the amount of the sugar substitute? Truvia is soooo wonderful for all my other recipes.

11. says

I have always wanted to try to make my own maple syrup. My dad use to make it for use sometimes when we were growing up and I am really glad that you have posted this recipe. This brings back a lot of memories for me. :)

Take care,
    Shynea

12. says

I have been toying with the idea of making my own syrup, but hated to use corn syrup. Now, I am kicking myself for not thinking of making a simple syrup with sugar. When my stash of store bought is gone, I will be making my own, thanks to you.

13. says

I’ve been wanting to make my own syrup for over a year now, but haven’t been able to find maple extract in any of the local stores. Boo hoo! LOVE the idea though..

14. says

We used to make maple syrup when I was a kid too! Our recipe was similar to yours and so easy I still remember it: 1 part white sugar, 1 part brown sugar, 1 part water, and a little maple flavoring. Yummmm!

15. Kacee says

I tried this as soon as I saw it. I added 1/2 cup of corn syrup to thicken it a bit. It is delicious and we will not go back to store bought syrup again! I may try the part regular sugar, part brown sugar idea. Sounds yummy!

16. Julie says

I make my own syrup all the time! I use this recipe but also add a cup of brown sugar and that makes it thicker so it’s the same consistency of store bought. In fact, it was months before anyone (even DH) realized it was homemade and only when I told them. I double the recipe and keep it in the fridge. It usually lasts a couple months.

17. Susan says

My mother used to heat up the clear (white) Karo syrup to put on pancakes. I thought it was heavenly & something special. I think she added a little water to stretch it maybe…anyway, it was cheaper than the “ready-made” types.

18. Barbara says

My family has been making this syrup as long as I can remember and that is a long time. We are spoiled to always having fresh HOT syrup. Wouldn’t have it any other way.

19. Kathleen Folsom-Johnson says

this is for lori amavisca that was dated in may:
    i have made maple syrup for years, ever since my kids were little, now they have kids of their own, i used brown sugar at that time, i have switched to using splenda brown sugar mix and it works very well, 1/2 c splenda brown sugar mix to 1 cup water plus the mapleine; it is just as tasty, does not have the intense flavor as with regular brown sugar, but very good, my husband cannot tell the difference. for variation i have added butter and thicken the syrup with corn starch; to look at it, it still comes out crystal clear and lasts a long time in the fridge

20. Pat says

We always made this when we were kids, just got out of the habit I guess. But the price of Mapleine sure has risen! But then, so has the price of a bottle of syrup, some is up to $4 a bottle now!

21. LessIsMoreMom says

For those that added some corn syrup, did you add it during the cooking process or when it was cooling when you add the maple syrup extract?

22. shelly says

does it make a difference (taste wise) if you use the mapleine or the immat maple flavoring? I am going to use splenda so it can be lower in calories, but will add frozen strawberry for a little flavor and color.. thanks so much!

23. Barbara says

We were raised on this syrup and it is the only kind I have ever used. We used to have trouble finding Mapleine, but it seems to be plentiful now. Thanks for the tip on adding a little corn syrup to keep it from crystalizing. That is a keeper. Will also be trying the brown sugar and fruit suggestions as well. How can you have hot cakes without HOT syrup? It is a must!

• Ann Mason says

You can also add butter if you like it a little richer and you don’t have to add spread the butter on your pancakes. It’s like the kind with butter in at the store.

24. Sholly says

We love homemade syrup. I make it with 1 cup white sugar, 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup corn syrup, 1 cup water, and 1 to 1 1/2 tsp of Mapleine. Homemade syrup is so much better than store bought.
    YUMMY!!

25. Sarah says

If I was going to do the fruit to add flavor how would I go about doing that? When would I add the fruit? How long would it cook? Do I keep the big piece of fruit in before I bottle it? Or do I puree it? Thanks ahead of time =)

26. Julie says

I am excited to try this! Curious, has anyone ever used different flavor extracts to make say a raspberry syrup? If so, did it turn out? Thanks!

27. Michelle Crusie says

Would love to make this but I am a diabetic. Just wondering if you could use Stevia or Splenda.

28. Crystal Palencer says

I stumbled upon this website by accident, but what a great find! If you like cinnamon, here’s another great and simple recipe: 1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup water, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, red food coloring (optional). Bring sugar and water to a boil, stirring constantly. Sprinkle in cinnamon and food color. Make sure sugar is dissolved completely before serving.

29. Laura says

I tried making with the corn syrup instead if water, but it got waaay too thick, almost candy stage. I’m going back to the original recipe.
    Our family has always eaten this and love it!

30. Maryann Lalley says

I have just found this website! I run a personel care home for adults with disabilities and the prices of food and household cleaners are just rising everyday. I have made so many of the recipes found here and I am making this syrup today!
    I just thought I would mention my brown sugar is homemade using white suar and molasses in the food processor.
    Thanks for the great ideas!

31. Kelli says

I just tried this after having come across it a while back on Pinterest. I wanted to make some french toast this morning, but I eat syrup on mine and we were completely out! I didn’t have any maple extract…so instead, I added a couple of teaspoons of some of my homemade blueberry jam for flavoring. DELICIOUS!!! 😀 Thanks for saving my breakfast!

32. Jeannette Howile says

My mom is 83 and has never bought syrup. she has made her own forever. This syrup has more maple flavoring than store bought. Very good!

33. Caren Ross says

I have used this several times to make syrup and we love it. I usually add about 1/2 teaspoon of butter extract. I know some asked about ut. It makes so good and rich!

34. Caren Ross says

I have made this a few times and I usually add about 1/2 teaspoon of butter extract. It really makes it rich abd buttery!

35. Inell says

I made this syrup for years but since my husband and I are both diabetics we can’t use it anymore , I’ve tried it with Splenda but it’s not the same. We loved ir . I got the recipe from my father in law

36. Samantha Buchanan says

I always use a cup of white sugar and a cup of brown a teaspoon of vanilla a teaspoon of maple and if I want that buttery taste I add a half a cup of corn syrup.

37. LYNN says

Cannot get around not having real maple syrup. From Canada where my Dad always made the real thing. He spent hours collecting the sap and boiling it down(ratio40-1). Missing him..

38. j says

We use straight up Maple sap about 40 gallons from an actual Maple tree and boil it until it turns to syrup. No additives needed. Real simple and delicious. 😉