How to Make Homemade Hair Detangler Spray!

DIY Hair Detangler at TheFrugalGirls.com

Got tangles??  You’ll love this simple little tip, shared by Casey on The Frugal Girls Facebook page!

If you {or your daughter} have tangly hair, here’s a simple way to make Homemade Hair Detangler!

• Fill a small spray bottle with 1 cup hot distilled water
  • Add 1/8 cup Hair Conditioner
  • Then play around with the ratio that works best for you!
  • Spray it on… leave it in ~ and that’s it!

Skip the expensive hair detanglers ~ now you’ve got a thrifty solution… which works great on super tangly hair!  ;)

Coconut Oil Hair Conditioner

32 Responses to How to Make Homemade Hair Detangler Spray!

1. Nicole Biggs says:

Great way to make use of those free samples of conditioner!

• Kennedy Zarnke says:

my hair is always so tangled. P.S i’m ten so probably why. So if you have snarly hair try this recipe. I just started to use it and my hair is soft and smooth.

2. Rachel says:

This is good but for my daughter’s hair and sometimes mine, I just use a TINY amt of straight conditioner. Rub very well between palms and then apply to hair like you would mousse or jel. It’s as good as a leave-in conditioner and MUCH cheaper! And don’t think it’s going to leave your hair filmy or cause build up. It doesn’t if you use a VERY SMALL amount.

3. Rachel says:

Let me add to my last comment, if you do this, put the conditioner on WET hair.

4. Tanya says:

How much is “a small amount”? If it doesn’t work the first time, my 4yr old drama queen is not going to let me do it again. :) (I want to get it right the first time)

5. wbmx4 says:

I do this for my daughter’s hair but I put it in a spray bottle so I can use it on her hair when its dry(she has very curly hair)! I use about 1/4cup conditioner to 2cups water. Works great!

6. Ginna says:

This DOES work great! For detangling, extra conditioning for dry hair–and just for great smelling hair! I have a bottle at work that I use for a ‘refresher’ mid-day.

7. sabrina says:

start with combing the ends of the hair and then working up to the root for best results! combing strait thru (starting at root and combing to ends) will only damange hair! just a hair school tip!

8. Tina says:

I made this for my girls with really fine, blonde hair. I made it a little weaker than the recipe because I was worried it would make their hair look greasy if too much was used. I used 1-1/4 cups warm water and 1/8 cup leave-in conditioner and it works great! No screaming!

9. Kristian says:

I just used tried this recipe today and it works GREAT! I have really thick hair and it detangled with no problems and Ididnt have to use much at all. And the best part is you can use your favorite smelling conditioner! I will never waste my hard earned money buying store bought spray ever again!

10. stephanie says:

this is great! But i just have one adjustment. If you do try this out please use an Leave-In-Conditioner. I have very curly hair and i have always had a hard time maintaining it so back in my teen years i used to use conditioner to keep moisture locked. I later found out from a stylist and a lot of online searches and putting leave in conditioner is bad for your hair because eventually it will make your hair fall off. not all at once of course. but conditioner is made to be rinsed out. you will probably get way more results with a leave-in-conditioner that is made to be left in your hair. otherwise i can’t wait to try this. my baby got lucky and got straight hair but she still has my very thick hair lol. she’ll be happy.

11. Natalie says:

I just made me up some for my 8 year old. She is so tender headed and she has been this way since she was born. Plus she gets a tad bit dramatic when it’s time to brush her hair. Lets see how this works!!

PS. You also know how you run out of shampoo faster than your conditioner? And you have like, 5 bottle of almost gone conditioner just collecting dust? This is PERFECT!! Talk about frugal :)

• Stephanie Andrews says:

That is weird it has always been the other way around at my house, we have 1/8 full shampoo bottles all over because I ran out of the matching conditioner.

• Sherry says:

Thanks for the good tip! I will just add the water to the bottle & that will be easier to get out. Thx!

12. VictoriaBC says:

I heard and tried apple cider vinegar and water mixture in a spray bottle or a bottle like a plastic catsup-type bottle. Use it in the shower on wet hair. It worked, and the smell goes away when the hair is dry. Better than the chemicals in conditioner.

13. JenT says:

I agree with VictoriaBC. My daughter and I use apple cider vinegar/water (about a 1:1 ratio) in the shower as a conditioner. Regular conditioner doesn’t rinse out of our hair due to seriously hard water. I have shoulder length curly hair and my daughter has very long, very straight hair and this works GREAT for both of us. You REALLY can’t smell the vinegar once your hair is dry and my daughter’s hair is far less “tangly” now.

• wendy says:

I just started doing this as well as I read it off another site. Also, the vinegar gets all the leftover residue from commercial products out of your hair! I found my hair is even curlier( I have naturally curly hair) using the vinegar! I use it for me and my daughter and you are right. You cant smell it at all when its dry! LOVE IT!

14. Svetlana says:

I have to agree with JenT and VictoriaBC about the vinegar. I use 1/2cup of vinegar in 1 cup warm water. After shampooing your hair gently pour the mixture all over the hair and rinse. It works wonderfully! Not to mention my hair is silky smooth and shiny. I’m on a mission to find the best natural recipes.

15. I am a professional hairstylist and I have to tell you that I add about 1/2 teaspoon of conditioner to my water bottle with warm every single day. This IS a fantastic tip as a DIY detangler!

16. This is a great tip and so very easy, too. I LOVE it..now is this a “leave-in” detangler? or do you have to wash it out? I read a comment that someone left here on the Facebook comments about going shampoo-less. That sounds interesting, too. Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :) :) :)

p.s. I saw this link on a friend’s Facebook page ;) :)

• Heidi says:

Hi Heather ~ we’re so glad to have you here, joining in the $$-saving FUN! For the detangler, you can just spray on a small amount and leave it in. Hope that helps!

• Cheryl says:

I haven’t used shampoo in 3 months. Just diluted conditioner. Works great. My curly hair is more managable.

17. Rechelle says:

Been doing this for years, but I must agree with a previous poster. Distilled water is key or you get the mildew smell. I also use a wide tooth comb on my curly hair. :0)

18. Sonya says:

I am looking for a recipe to make homemade shampoo – do you have any?

• Danielle says:

from what I have found its just finding the right amount of baking soda…just mix it with warm water and apply…haven’t tried it yet but will soon…still have a lot of regular shampoo left :)

19. Dawn Solva says:

I started using vinegar 2 clean back in November & decided that in the new year I would replace all my chemical based products w/ natural products.
    I tried the NO POO 4 the month of December & didn’t like the dry feeling I would get. I decided 2 try the MILK & HONEY shampoo, I have been using this since the 1st of January 7 I love the results. My only issue w/ this is that my hair feels sticky after shampooing, but it dries soft & feels great. My hair has natural red tints in it, my friends keep asking if I had red highlights done, I say no it’s milk & honey.
    I was wondering if any1 had any ideas on how 2 make a natural detangler/conditioner 2 spray on my hair in the morning that will compliment the Milk & Honey I’m shampooing w/. I also want 2 use it on my kids, they have very curly hair.

20. I’m so glad I found your website! thank you for the tip :)