Easy Freezer Jam Recipe

Easy Strawberry Freezer Jam Recipe at TheFrugalGirls.com

Looking for an extra-easy Jam Recipe that’s absolutely delicious?  Well, I’ve got just the thing!

Stock your freezer with yummy jam, and give some as gifts!

• Four 1-lb. containers of Fresh Strawberries or Six 6-oz. containers of Fresh Raspberries {you can even use berries grown in your yard to save $$!}
  • 1.5 cups of Sugar
  • 1 Pkg. Ball Freezer Jam Pectin {can be found at most grocery stores or Wal-Mart}
  • Freezer-safe Canning Jars

• Wash, stem & slice berries {I chose strawberries}, then place in a shallow pan.
  • Use masher to crush berries {consistency will depend on how chunky you like your jam}.

• The berries will look something like this, after they’ve been mashed…

• In separate bowl, mix together Pectin and Sugar.
  • Add mashed berries into mixture, and stir for 3 minutes.

• Scoop jam into small freezer-safe jars. {I use the 4oz. – 8oz. size.}
  • Let  jam set for 30 minutes, then store in your freezer until you’re ready to use your tasty jam. Enjoy!
  • I make 12 little jars at a time {as pictured}, and I take out one at a time to keep in the fridge.
  • Store in freezer for up to 1 year, or in refrigerator for up to 1 month.
  • Recipe makes approximately six 8 oz. jars or twelve 4 oz. jars.

The Yummy Finished Product:

This jam is 110% delish!!  Give it a try, and see what you think!

This also makes a fabulous Gift in a Jar! ;)

Easy Homemade Freezer Jam Recipe at TheFrugalGirls.comPin It Buttons

Fresh Strawberry Popsicles Recipe

Comments

1. Heidi says

Hi Angela!

I found the jars and lids at Wal-Mart. :)

They were in the section by the dishes, with all of the other canning supplies.

2. Shannon says

Hey – Need a printable version of this! Just in time too..Looked at my plants yesterday and have LOADS or berrries just waiting to ripen!!

3. Heidi says

Hi Shannon ~

For a printable version, at the bottom of the post {just beneath ‘Like it? Share it!’} click on the small printer icon at the left. That will give you a printer-friendly version. Or, you could also just copy and paste this into a word document, and print from there.

Hope that helps!

4. says

Wonder if this works with blackberries? We have a lot of them. Love your website by the way! Very pretty and awesome stuff on here!

5. Heidi says

Hi Heather ~ no steaming is required for this easy recipe! Just use fresh strawberries from the garden… or grocery store! :)

6. melissa says

@Heather: she said “stem” as in take the stems off, not steam. :) It’s ok, I think you just read it wrong…..

7. Michelle says

Could you use a food processor instead of hand mashing to save time? I think I may try that :) Thanks for the great recipe…we go through tons of jam and it is so pricey in the stores for the good stuff!

• says

Michelle, if you use a regular blade in a food processor it chops them all up, or purees them, depending on how long you process them, and the texture’s just not as nice as the mashed berries.

But my food processor came with a blunt (not sharp), short blade — mine’s called a “dough blade” — and I discovered a few years ago that it’s great for mashing strawberries for jam! It has saved me lots of time.

8. Jessica says

Is it 1 1/2 cups total of sugar or 1 1/2 cups per pound of strawberries. I was telling my MIL about this and she said it doesn’t seem like enough sugar.

9. Heidi says

Hi Jessica ~ it’s 1 1/2 cups sugar total. :) I’ve made it for years this way, and it’s soooo yummy! Give it a try, and see what you think!

• shyla says

Can stevia be a replacement for the sugar and im sure it can, have you ever made it with an artificial sweetner?if so how much do you put in? thanks

10. says

Wow – so glad you shared this info – this is SO much easier than anything my mother did! And I LOVE the cute little jars – so thanks for telling where to find those too!

11. Tanya says

My mom is a diabetic so I make freezer jam for her with a lil variation…enjoy

Clean and slice 4 cups of fruit, such as strawberries, raspberries, peaches and plums. Put the fruit in your blender and blend until it is a crushed consistency or use potato masher for hand version. Add 1 1/2 cups of Splenda and 1/4 oz. of non-sugar freezer pectin (found at the grocery store). There is no need to add this sugar substitute in the same amounts as you would sugar in a regular jam recipe, as it will make the jam taste bitter. Stir the fruit and Splenda mixture for three minutes, until the Splenda and pectin are dissolved. Pour the jam into containers and freeze or refrigerate.

12. Rene Wagler says

I grew up eating this (40 years ago). It is delicious and my mom used to put it in plastic quart containers.

13. Glenda says

@Grace–I would be cautious of using frozen fruit because of the water content. If you notice when say a frozen blueberry defrosts it is guishy and wet, unlike its fresh counterpart. I would be concerned that the added liquid would leave you with a runny jelly since no additional liquid is needed in the recipe. You could perhaps counter that with more Sure-jell but I’m not a canner.

• KissesKats says

@Glenda et al re Frozen Fruit. I would defrost over a sieve to allow the excess moisture to separate, then use the fruit pulp for the jam. The juice can be used to flavor water, tea, other fruit juices, etc. Just remember, store-bought frozen fruits aren’t as ripe & full of flavor. I’ve never been happy: no matter how much sweetener I add, the product looks nice but it’s tart & without the true fruit flavor.

14. Rebecca says

Once out of the freezer are they shelf safe? I’d be afraid to give them as gifts if they couldn’t be out of the fridge for a bit. Anyone know?

15. Gayl says

I too am wondering if you have to freeze it? I would love to give it as gifts at work, but they wouldn’t be able to freeze it right away.

16. Heidi says

Once it is out of the freezer, it lasts for quite awhile in the refrigerator. ;) If you were giving it as a gift, and had a small refrigerator at work, you could store it in there. Or even in a cooler with blue ice?? Hope that helps!

17. Lauren says

yea mine came out really runny too. its not setting… any advice on what i did wrong or what i can do to fix it?? thanks!

• says

Did you use frozen fruit? Frozen fruit might have a little more water than fresh which may lend to a more runny consistency. If you used fresh try using less fruit or more pectin. Are you using freezer jam pectin? There is a difference. Head on over to my blog for more freezer jam recipes. WE LOVE IT! (I gotta whip up more we just used our LAST jar up!)

18. says

I am excited to try this no cook freezer jam recipe. Thanks for sharing. My Grandmother says that if you make jam or jelly on a cloudy day it won’t set up right. My sister and I made grape jelly last fall (before we knew this “rule”) and it was a cloudy day and it didn’t set right. Just a thought to the runny jelly/jam.
    ~Anna

19. Joann says

Heidi,Heidi;
    luv this easy jam.I work in healthcare and have made for all my clients.I use different fruits.they love love it.I’m thinkin about branchin out to different organizations in my field.I’LL SHARE the profits Heidi..going global…lol…

• Heidi says

Hi Sara ~ once the jam is out of the freezer, it lasts for quite awhile in the refrigerator. ;) If you were giving it as a gift, and had a small refrigerator at work, you could store it in there. Or even in a cooler with blue ice?? Hope that helps!

20. heather jones says

what would be the exchange if i used truvia or splenda? i would like to try this but with less sugar and calories.

thanks!

21. Jacquie says

Can you use the classic glass canning jars? I make jam every year, but the old fashion way….and having the kitchen 200 degree’s in the middle of summer isn’t fun. This seems much easier, but I’m not sure the glass will freeze correctly. If anyone knows or has advice, please let me know.

Also, to reply to the post above. If you use the “less sugar” pectin, you won’t have to use as much sugar. Personally, I think it tastes much better with less sugar. It really brings out the flavor’s in whatever fruit you use (my preference is peaches)

22. Janette says

I’ve made freezer jam using plastic and glass containers. They both freeze well. After it comes out of the freezer it has to go in the fridge. There is no shelf life it will mold. There is no cooking involved which is the difference from canning vs. freezer. If it comes out to running you probably used more fruit then what the recipe calls for or not enough pectin. In those cases save it as syrup for those pancakes/french toast and cheese cakes! :O))

23. says

Thank you for taking your time to post this. The jars are cute! :) I am going to be making some for my PB&J eating, bachelor boyfriend today. :))))

24. says

Just finished my batch. It didn’t make quite the amount that the recipe said it would make….but it’s set up well and tastes wonderful! :) Thank you again for posting!

25. Amanda says

My store didn’t have a package of the Pectin, so I had to buy a small container. Any idea how much I should measure out to use for this?

26. says

awesome, I made freezer jam for the 1st time last year but there was boiling involved so this looks WAY easier and I LOVE those little jars, perfect for gift giving @ the end of school!

27. Kelly says

This turned out fabulous! Thank goodness we have strawberry farms surrounding us! Here are the measurements I used:

8 cups strawberries (I used my Vitamix blender)
    1 1/2 cups sugar (will use one cup next time)
    3 1/2 Tlb of freezer pectin

Thanks for the recipe.

28. Vicki says

My family has decided on a homemade Christmas this year. I made several kinds of freezer jam. How long can I keep it safely out of the freezer on Christmas day? If I can’t, how can I cleverly package it up so it doesn’t spoil?

29. Darlene says

I just made this jam. It’s been about 2 hours and it is still not set. Will this continue to set? Do I just freeze it like this? In the Certo box the recipe there said to let it at room temp 24 hours, guess I’ll try that. The recipe there also used A LOT more sugar. I says adjusting the sugar will cause it to not set correctly. So will 1 1/2 c sugar in 4 lbs burries set the same way as 4 cups in 2 c strawberries?? I really hope this sets up, it looks great!

• says

my wife is type 2 diabetic, & really needs to watch her sugar intake. she loves strawberry jam, & i was wondering if i could substitute a sugar substitute (splenda) in your easy freezer jam recipe?

30. Heather Ann Hoover says

Does this recipe only work with berries or will it also work with other fruits such as PEACHES???

31. Beverly McDaniel Upchurch says

Heidi…

I am going to make your Freezer Strawberry Jam and have everything I need, including those pretty white caps for my freezer jars. My question is this:
    Do you use the metal seal with the white caps when freezer the jam or do you leave them off the jars?

Thanks for your kind attention.

~Beverly

32. Missy says

My husband LOVES strawberry jam. However, he HATES chunks of anything in any food. Can I run the strawberries through the blender at some point-if so-at what point in your recipe would you advise that I do that?

33. Kitty says

My biggest concern with freezer jam is the worry about power outages. plus I started making jam as a 12 year old and a little bit of cooking doesn’t worry me. I like the peace of mind that standard methods give.

34. Laura Dieck says

I’ve never canned/jarred food before. The jar box gives directions for boiling the jars to seal them and letting them sit for 12 hours untouched. Your recipe says let it sit for 30 minutes then put it in the freezer. Is this after the 12 hours or do we skip the boiling the jars to seal?