How To Make Homemade Oatmeal Packets

My boys love oatmeal, but the price of pre-packaged flavored oatmeal can really add up!

So… about a year ago, I started making Homemade Oatmeal Packets!

They’re quick and easy to make, and can really help cut the cost of a quick breakfast!

Ingredients:

• Oatmeal {I use quick oats}
  • Ziploc baggies {or other containers}
  • Add-ins of your choice ~ some fun fillers include:  Brown Sugar, Raisins, Dried Fruits, Blueberry Craisins {thanks, Vanessa}, Powdered Milk {optional} ~ we add fresh milk when making ours, so I leave the powdered milk out.

Instructions:

1. Measure out about 1/2 cup of oatmeal for each bag, then add in some fun flavors! {see list above for ideas}
  2. Now, my boys are *always* hungry, and used to gobble up 2 packets of oatmeal, so I make larger bags with 1 full cup of oatmeal…

• We cook the oatmeal by adding milk {to the consistency desired}, and microwaving for 45 – 60 seconds.
  • When you’re ready to cook the oatmeal, another add-in that goes great with Brown Sugar is Homemade Maple Syrup!

• There you go… you’re all done!

Yum

{I found the little basket at the Dollar Tree!}

Frugal Girls Email Updates

The Frugal Girls on Pinterest

The Frugal Girls on Instagram

Comments

1. says

Cool idea, but how about changing out those plastic bags for something that can be reused instead of tossed into the trash after each use?

• Emily M says

I reuse bags like this, because they aren’t dirty. So, I would just keep the plastic bags and fill them up when it’s time again! :)

• says

I make these and put them in ziploc bags too. I then have 2 empty Oats containers that I use as storage, one for the full bags and 1 for the empty bags. When a child empties a bag it goes into the empty container to get refilled again on Sunday evening. I have some bags that have been used for a year or more. I put the oatmeal in the bag so they have to dump it in a non-plastic bowl. I don’t like to use even the microwave “safe” plastics in the microwave.

2. says

@kat> We actually reuse our ziplock bags if they only held dry ingredients. But to make things easier for me I would store them in those ziplock bowls that way I could just add milk and heat! I LOVE this idea and am going to involve my 5yr in helping make some!

On another note, anybody have a DIY for toaster strudel? My daughter loves them and they are far to expensive!

• Kami says

I make my own pop tarts (mine taste more like toaster strudel). Make pie crust or use pastry dough. Make small circles or squares and spoon in your favorite filling put a circle on top seal and bake @350 for 20 min. Frost while still hot cool a little then enjoy. Or freeze and you can put them into the toaster for breakfast.

3. says

Any idea on blueberry? Not sure if I can get dried blueberries here. My kids like the flavors I am not sure I can replicate. Banana, peach, strawberry. Intend to try this for sure once I figure it all out!

• Kate says

We pick fresh blueberries every year. You can freeze them and then put them into smaller containers in the freezer. We put one container in the fridge and just grab a few to toss into the oatmeal… We’ve tossed in frozen ones, they are actually quite good also. To freeze ours we put them on a cookie sheet in a single layer to freeze them after they are frozen we put them into baggies or small containers.

We’ve done the same with bananas, never tried peaches or anything though. Peel then slice the bananas, place on cookie sheets to freeze and after frozen put into small containers or baggies…

• Rachel G. says

You could just add frozen blueberries and store the whole baggie in the freezer til the day you plan to use it. It shouldn’t hurt the dry ingredients to be in the freezer :)

4. Jocelyn says

We add a tablespoon of homemade jam to add flavor to our oatmeal! Its a great way to make the strawberry/raspberry or which ever flavor your little ones like!

5. Lou says

Instead of adding brown sugar, cook with apple juice, that makes it sweet enough, especially if you’ve added raisins. You can still use the powdered milk.

6. Ang says

@ Centsible, dry your own! I’ve accidentally dried fruit before (left it in the back of the fridge in an open container lol). I’m sure you can find a recipe for it. Our Walmarts have dried blueberries in the dried fruit area too, I just can’t remember if it’s near the cereal & granola bars or in the canned fruit area.
    YAY for this recipe! Will it work the same if we just do really hot (160*) tap water tho? I don’t microwave theirs… We’re coming up on oatmeal season finally in GA & we’re down to maple brown sugar packets & not much else in the oatmeal tubs.

• Crystal Withrow says

Try a Hot Shot. They heat up to 2 cups of water to almost boiling in under a minute. We use it year round, ALL the time. I purchased mine from Target for under $15. Perfect for hot tea, cup o’noodles, and instant hot drinks!

7. says

I thought I saw some dried blueberries at WM but they have rearranged and now no one can find anything! UGH!!!!!!! You are not supposed to use warm tap water, it can have high levels of copper I think it is. I would just microwave the water and add it in to be safe!

8. Kate says

I have been doing this for years! Since my daughter was a baby actually, I even pre-measured rice cereal, formula, etc instead of buying the more expensive pre-packaged convenience foods.

• Rachel G. says

Great idea about the baby food. We used those formula dispenser bowls (they have 3-4 sections and you turn the lid to the one you want to dispense) for the baby cereals. Worked perfectly!

9. Texasmom says

We make an “Oatmeal Shake” with Oats. We take the 1/2 cups of oats to 2 c. of milk, 1 TBSP of sugar, a pinch cinnamon, and 1 tsp ofvailla to taste. Simmer for about 7 to 9 mins with occasional stir and let it cool off. Then you can strain the oats out and drink the shake cold or leave them inside. Either way, it is nutrional for a quick drink in the morning if you prepare the night before. Lately I have been adding 1/2 scoop of Vanilla Protein Powder and it becomes a healthy Protein Meal Shake.

10. Fawn G says

how much of the add ins do you use per cup of oats? I’d like to make this for quicker mornings, but store it in a container instead.

• Heidi says

Hi Summer ~ you could start off by trying 1 tbsp. of dry milk per packet. If you’re doing a larger packet, just add more. Then… it’s just a matter of preference ~ as to whether you’ll want more or less the next time. Hope that helps! 😉

11. Aileen Paz Perez says

This is wonderful! Why didn’t I think of this? My hubby makes himself oatmeal in the mornings before he goes for a bike ride and always asks me how much of everything to put in it. Now, he will have it all in a bag ready to make. Thanks!

12. Cheryl Forshner says

I bought a dehydrator….MY NEW BEST FRIEND!! I dry apples,grapes,pineapple,blueberries…veggies to no end…No need to worry about anything going bad….. and as soon as you add things to liquid…they rehydrate. :-) Dried apples,pineapple & grapes…..make for awesome snacks as well. :-)

13. Melissa says

I pre-make my oat bran in a Tupperware container, premixed with cinnamon, sugar and powdered french vanilla coffee creamer. I keep a little scoop in there with it, so all I have to do is scoop it in a mug, add water and microwave for 1 minute…YUM!!

14. Rikki says

Now that my kids ate the last of the instant oatmeal packs this morning I want to make these (helps that I have a bigger container of quick oats already). I plan on putting some powered milk in mine and dried fruit. My question is….how much water to do you put in it? My husband makes breakfast for the kids in the morning and he is a strict “direction follower” lol.

15. Debbie says

This is a great idea! My favorite oatmeal has dried cherries. And for a little protein, I also add chopped pecans or slivered almonds. Chopped walnuts would be great with the bananas! Thanks for the time saving tip!