My Coupon Organizer…

Are coupons really worth the trouble?  Let me tell you… YES!!

Using coupons matched with store sales has literally helped me cut about $500/month out of our monthly grocery budget. However, the key to using coupons for me is to keep them organized!

There are so many different ways you can organize your coupons… accordion files, coupon binders, etc. ~ but here’s what has worked best for me.

I used some old file folders and cut them up into strips. I then dedicated each piece of file folder to one category, and stapled it to the inside back corner of an envelope.

The categories I used include:

• Salad Dressing
  • Seasonings
  • Sauce
  • Snacks
  • Toys
  • Vitamins

Additional categories I made for specific stores {that I keep in the front of the basket} include:

• Albertsons
  • Bed Bath & Beyond
  • Craft Stores
  • CVS
  • Fry’s {Kroger}
  • K-Mart
  • Photo Deals
  • Safeway
  • Target
  • Walgreens
  • Wal-Mart

Other categories I made for Restaurants and Entertainment {that I keep in the back of the basket} include:

• Activities / Entertainment
  • Restaurants – Fast Food
  • Restaurants – Mexican
  • Restaurants – Pizza
  • Restaurants – Subs/Sandwiches/Bagels
  • Restaurants – Other

The basket could fit nicely in the top part of a shopping cart, although I usually take just the coupons I need with me in a separate envelope.
A huge thank you goes out to Crystal for recommending this method!!

Then… find More Tips to Organize Your Coupons + check out Couponology 101!

97 Responses to My Coupon Organizer…

1. The Bertone's says:

That is an awesome idea.. I love it! :)

2. AngelFabs says:

Thanks for the great ideas for organizing coupons!

3. Brenda says:

I love this idea. I have tried several methods and this is certainly cute. I might need a lid on mine as I am sure to drop it at some point. Thanks for sharing.

4. Terra says:

Great Idea! I use three check folders…One for household stuff (mostly purchased at drug stores) and 2 for foodies – then I have big binder on kitchen desk with store and restaurant coupons in it! But I like the basket, envelopes – might have to make a change this weekend.

5. Jen says:

Love this idea–it’s so cute! Have you ever had a problem with the basket tipping over in the car or somewhere?

6. Heidi @ Frugal Girls! says:

Nope ~ I’ve never tipped my basket yet! :)

7. Molly says:

I am so doing this. What a great idea! My “junk” drawer is swimming with coupons…I need help!

8. searcher says:

I tried the binder method with a photo album and that was great, for a while.

I am now using a file box the same way! It is about the size of a shoe box but has dividers and a neet little adjustable thing to hold up the items. I don’t know what it’s called! But I can adjust it to the amount of coupons in the box. I have the coupons in envelopes. It is not perfect yet and I may change methods again until I find something I like using.

9. Amy @ Finer Things says:

I’ve got a file box and dividers, but I didn’t think about the envelopes! That would make it so much easier to pull them out. Great idea. Organized coupons = money saved = a Finer Thing!

10. Your Frugal Friend, Niki says:

That is super cute!

11. Deal Fanatic says:

I have to ask though, how do you bring them into the store? I’ve found the binder book works great for going inside the store…how about you??

12. Heidi @ Frugal Girls! says:

I typically take only the coupons I need into a store, however the basket does fit nicely into the top part of the shopping cart (assuming there’s no baby sitting there). :)

13. Jerri - Simply Sweet Home says:

Great post. This is a nice idea. I love baskets!

14. Heather@justdoingmybest says:

Very cute! I use the binder method, but this one seems like it would be quicker to organize.

15. Denise says:

What a fantastic idea! I have coupons all over the place. This is a great idea to keep them all in one place! Thanks for sharing. Oh and I am visiting from Blissfully Domestic! :)

16. { L } says:

This basket turned out super cute. Way to go with you coupon clipping too! ;)

17. Kirsty says:

This is great! It may help me actually use the coupons before I discover them expired a year later. And wow, that is an impressive (and inspiring) savings on your grocery bill. Thank you!

18. chickadee@afamiliarpath says:

i’m always looking for ways to make my coupons better organized. this is a great tip.

19. Terry says:

What a great idea! I used to do coupons many years ago but then I’d forget them at home and it seemed like so much work. I’ll have to start up again – thanks for the great tip!

20. commoncentsmom.com says:

Love the cute basket, I tend to like my coupon box.