Growing Green Onions… Again and Again!

Green Onions Growing in Water Tip

I love green onions ~ they add such a nice punch of flavor and make a great garnish, don’t they??

Now a friend had told me that once you’ve used them, you can pop the ends back in the water.  Strange, I thought… but what would it hurt to try?!?

So off to the grocery store I went, to buy a little bunch of green onions…

Green Onions

It just so happened to be taco night, so choppity-chop-chop-chop I went…

Growing Green Onions in Water

Now down to the little stubbies, I just popped them in a jar of water.  Yes, you could use a little glass too, but you know how wildly in love with mason jars I am! ;)

Green Onions Growing

After about a week or so, look what had happened.  Whoa!

Growing Green Onions Water

Several days went by, and they just kept on growing!

Green Onions Growing in Water

So every time I was in need of some green onions ~ to add to my Easy Salsa Recipe or garnish my Crockpot Apricot Chicken with, I simply grabbed from my jar and started chopping!

Then the weirdest thing happened… they started growing AGAIN!  I think I grew about 3 rounds of green onions off one 50 cent bundle.  Not bad! ;)

After the 3rd time, they seemed to be losing a bit of flavor, so I bought another bundle, and went at it again!

Now how’s that for a fun kitchen tip?!?

Looking for more fun Kitchen Tips & Tricks?  Check out these tips below…

How to Keep Lettuce Fresh - tips at TheFrugalGirls.com

How to Keep Strawberries Fresh at TheFrugalGirls.comHow to Keep Bananas Fresh Tip at TheFrugalGirls.com

11 Responses to Growing Green Onions… Again and Again!

1. Amanda says:

I did this too but first only because they were wilted from being in the fridge. Wen they rooted, I stuck them in a container with soil. I now have three containers of green onions outside in my garden.. They multiply like crazy… And some of them are really tall too!! I had to change the water a couple times I think, kept them in the kitchen window until ready to transplant…

2. Leslie Hoyer says:

I have green onions in a jar on my kitchen window seal right now. Just like yours. Pretty nifty

3. Sarah says:

I used to do this, but then I decided to plan them outside in a dirt patch outside my kitchen and they have been growing like crazy and never lose flavor! Love that I can cut off what I need whenever I need it!

4. Marie says:

This is so cool! I do the same thing with celery!

• Heidi says:

Wow ~ I didn’t realize it worked with celery, too! I’ll definitely give that a try as well. Thanks for sharing, Marie! ;)

• Laura says:

With celery cut the bottom off leaving about an inch. Put the piece in a shallow dish of water so that the piece is submerged about half way up in the water. The outer stalks will harden over but you will begin to notice the inner leaves beginning to grow after a week or two. Change the water every other day or so. Plant in the garden or in a container on the window sill and it will regrow.

5. Linda Woodhead says:

Keeping cilantro in water helps keep it fresh

6. Patricia says:

I’m going to do the green onion thing also! And celery. I know you can make a nice potted plant out of a pineapple top,by slicing off the top and keeping it in a saucer or shallow bowl of water, but it has never worked for me. I’d be glad to hear from anyone who has suggestions…I love the idea of keeping veggies alive. This is my first visit to this site, and I’m really glad I stumbled into it. :)

• Brenda says:

I’ve grown pineapple plants from pineapple tops many times. I use a pot of miracle grow potting soil, not water. I cut the pineapple about an inch down and then make a hole in the center of the soil, put the top in soil, cover completely, leave the green leaves out of course 😊. It loves lots of water, especially while it is establishing it’s root system. So plenty of water and sunshine. I’ve heard after four years you actually get a pineapple. we got a freeze here in Florida this year and I was away and didn’t get to bring mine indoors and lost them. I’ll try again, they grow fast in the right conditions. Some say to take the pineapple meat and rind off before planting, I don’t, it seems like it fertilizes the soil. Hope you try and succeed.

• Gloria says:

I’ve had pineapples growing in my yard for years. I just cut the top off about an inch down, set it where I want it to grow, and it always does. I have sandy soil here in FL and rarely water them. They love sun. Pineapples are very easy to grow. My only problem is beating the possums to them. PS. I’ve also grown regular onions from planting the roots from the scraps. I cut those about a 1/2″ up or so. They like sun too, and watering.

7. Ruby Henley says:

Thanks for the tip. This will save me money.