How to Clean Your Curling Iron

How to Clean your Curling Iron

Have you ever wondered How to Clean Your Curling Iron?  There are several ways, and here is one of my favorites…

Well… I’ve got a confession to make… I’ve got had gunk.  Gunk on my curling iron ~ lots and lots of hairspray gunk.

Eeks ~ just look at this scary picture…

Well, it was high time to clean it, so I wanted to share this simple technique with you, too!

Turn the curling iron on for a few seconds to warm it up a bit.  {it will be easier to clean when warm}

Then… unplug the curling iron.

Dip a cloth or sturdy paper towel {folded several times} in rubbing alcohol, then start cleaning the curling iron plates.

I cleaned mine outside {less fumes}. :)

{for the really stubborn build-up, I used my fingernails to scrape it off through the cloth}

Repeat as necessary ~ warming the curling iron up and scrubbing it with the alcohol ~ until the gunky grime is gone.

After cleaning, dry off with a clean cloth or towel, to avoid rust stains.

It took a bit of scrubbing, but look how nice my curling iron looks now…

Give it a try… your curling iron can only get cleaner!

BIG List of Homemade Cleaning Solutions

24 Responses to How to Clean Your Curling Iron

1. Mel says:

Thanks for sharing! I was wondering how to do that without just using my fingernails–will have to try on my flat iron.

2. Yasmin says:

Use 91% Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol instead of 70% since the concentration is higher in 91% than 70%. Also, do NOT breath the fumes if you use a warm iron since the fumes ARE toxic. The BEST thing to do is use 91% on a COLD iron and let the alcohol evaporate.

HOWEVER, while this is the cheapest way to clean your curling iron (or flat iron) you can get Dissolve All Purpose Cleaner Concentrate which is meant to remove gunk from curling irons, flat irons and the like. It costs around $5 to $7 at a beauty supply store. No scrubbing or fussing at all and it will last a very long time.

3. Xmasdolly says:

Well, look at that. Why didn’t I think of that. I can’t wait to go clean mine. Thanks for the tip.

4. I needed this info for my flat iron, tho I rarely use it now. Stills needs a cleaning tho. Thanks!

5. Stacy says:

As a hairstylist, I use oven cleaner.Get your iron hot. Unplug it and spray with oven cleaner. Place your iron on a sylicone hot pad. Let it sit for a while then wipe away.

6. ~Ivey~ says:

Heidi, you are SO cute! I’m definitely going to share this one with my readers!

7. Mandy says:

Thanks for sharing!

8. Young Wife says:

Great tip! I’ll have to give it a try.

9. Emily N. says:

awesome idea. i’ve always wanted to clean mine up real good and was neve able to. i’ll sure try it out :)

~ Emily N. from “too Blessed to Stress”

10. Nicole Biggs says:

I’ve always cleaned mine with a little Comet. It does take a bit of scrubbing but in the end it looks nice and new – never thought about alcohol.

11. Michelle says:

My hair stylist told me to use and SOS pad.

12. Susan says:

I’ve always just used a razor blade, then wiped clean with dry cloth.

13. Lynn says:

Razors and scraping with sos pads remove the ceramic which can cause snagged hair and it protects your hair. Don’t scrape it with an sos pad or a razor. Yes rubbing alcohol and a lot of patience and scrubbing will work. I’m a cosmetologist and we use relaxer on a rag, warm up the iron and wipe it off. I know not all people have access to relaxer, so have fun with the rubbing alcohol. Or I’d just use the Dissolve All Purpose Cleaner Concentrate you get at sallys. Very nice tips though. Have fun cleaning those irons girls

14. Ashley says:

I’m embarrassed to say I’ve had my iron for about 4 years an have never cleaned it!! I’ve been looking for a way and tried Stacey’s…the “black” build up (I know sounds horrible) flakes right off!! Thanks!!!

15. belinda says:

Do you have any ideas on how to clean a curling brush iron?? I have to take mine apart to clean.

16. tanya says:

OMG! thanks i’ve been trying with just my nails and it wouldnt work!

17. Kim Bullock says:

Very fine steel wool…works like a charm with very little elbow grease.

18. Tiffany Willis says:

Baking Soda works well too and doesn’t scratch surfaces. You can just use it with a little soap and water.

19. Codi says:

I always use hair relaxer!

20. Linn says:

what’s the name of your curler? i want a big curling iron but i ddon’t know witch one ishould buy? is that one good? do you get big wavy curls?

Thanks for the help