Chocolate Chip Cream Cheese Cupcakes Recipe

Chocolate Chip Cream Cheese Cupcakes Recipe from TheFrugalGirls.com

Craving cupcakes??  Here’s a delicious Chocolate Chip Cream Cheese Cupcake Recipe that comes from my Grandma… her name was Gertrude. How sweet is that?!?  We called her Grandma Trudy, and let me tell you… you’re going to love this recipe!

Think chocolate decadence wrapped up in a cupcake!  Mmm…

Ingredients:

• 1 box of Chocolate Cake Mix {and oil, eggs, etc. as required to prepare}
  • Cream Cheese ~ one 8 oz. package, softened
  • 1/3 cup Sugar
  • 1 Egg
  • Pinch of Salt
  • Cupcake Holders
  • 1 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips

Instructions:

1. Prepare box of Chocolate Cake Mix per instructions; then set aside.
  2. In separate bowl, mix Cream Cheese, Egg, Sugar, and Salt.  Then add in Chocolate Chips and stir.
  3. Fill cupcake holders 2/3 full with prepared Chocolate Cake Mix.  Then add one heaping teaspoon of Cream Cheese Filling into the center of each…
  4. Bake 22 – 25 minutes at 350 degrees.  These are delicious when you frost up with some chocolate or cream cheese frosting, too.
  5. ENJOY!!

Chocolate Chip Cream Cheese Cupcakes Recipe from TheFrugalGirls.comPin It Buttons

Chocolate Chip Cream Cheese Recipe - from TheFrugalGirls.comPin It Post Buttons

Still hungry??  Find more Delicious Dessert Recipes below…

Easy Andes Mint Fudge Recipe

Easy Andes Mint Fudge Recipe

Snickerdoodle Cake Mix Cookie Recipe

Snickerdoodle Cake Mix Cookie Recipe

Peppermint Crunch Dark Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies

Peppermint Crunch Dark Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies Recipe from TheFrugalGirls.com

Frugal Girls Email Updates

The Frugal Girls on Pinterest

The Frugal Girls on Instagram

Comments

1. crystalstone says

I have done something very similar to this but I used cherry chips instead of chocolate chips and then topped with cherry frosting! They are the best cupcakes EVER. I love the cream cheese filling so much. I've baked chocolate cookies and then put the frosting (minus the egg) in between two they are great home made Oreo's! I haven't tried it with all chocolate, that will be next!!! Keep up the great work!!

2. Hoosier Homemade says

Those look great and I love that the recipe came from your Grandma! Thanks for joining in the fun at Cupcake Tuesday!
    ~Liz

3. The Hawkins says

If you wanted to make these in a mini muffin pan would it work? Im not a big baker, but thought this would be a nice treat to take to work for everyone

4. Meghan says

Wow. I was thinking about making my husband a chocolate chip cheesecake as a surprise before the holiday madness begins, but now I'm going to make these instead. They seem much easier and just as tasty.

5. Heidi @ The Frugal Girls! says

Hawkins ~ I have honestly never tried making these in the mini-muffin pans. I'm sure it would work, but you'd just need a much smaller amount of the filling.

Enjoy!! :)

6. LaVonne says

This looks very good and easy!Thanks for the recipe and the pictures. Love it! I linked it to my own Frugal Friday post.

7. Jerri says

How yummy! I wish I had a couple of these right now. I'm definitely bookmarking this!

Hope to see you December 14-18 for the Holly Bloggy Christmas Bash! We'll have events all week, including a recipe linky on Thursday, Dec. 17. And we'll have prizes too! Check out my blog for more details!

8. Melissa says

Just wanted to let you know that my daughter (13) and her friends made these at her slumber party and they were a HUGE hit! They had as much fun baking them as they did eating them!!
    The only problem is I ended up eating FOUR of them, they were so good! Haha!
    Thanks for the recipe!
    Melissa

9. Sara says

I made these in a mini cupcake pan and took them to a Christmas party – they were fantastic – it took about 11 min to bake them in the mini pan.

10. Sherry3388 says

Love, Love, Love them! My two favorite ingredients : Chocolate and Cream cheese! lol
    Made them, frosted them with a thin layer of cream cheese frosting and …oooo…my….gooooonnessss!!
    Heavenly!!
    Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!!
    Happy New Year!!!

Ohh…and, P.S. :
    .. incidentally….
    I adopted nicknames for my mom (Mary) and my aunt (Veronica) years & years ago …
    I call them Bertha & Gertrude…
    So, I titled these cuppycakes "Gertrudies"
    lololol

Thanks again!

11. says

These look fantastic!
    You might like our new blog
    from blah to ta-daa we do a recipe mcklinky each week too! come check it out.

From Blah to Ta-daa
    Brandy

12. egg yolk says

I just baked these and were pretty good. not amazing, but definitely something quich and easy :) to make em better, cook them less time and put in the fridge. they’ll be fudgy ! yummm

13. Katina says

they are originally made in the mini muffin pans, i have been making them for over 20 years I’m from Maryland and we call them “Black bottoms”, the recipe is almost exactly what I have used except I add a little bit of vanilla to the cream cheese mixture, and I like the chocolate fudge cake mix (using real butter). They also freeze well to have at a later date.

• Jennifer says

I grew up on these too! Starbucks used to make them as well, or at least they did in the DC area. So delicious!

14. Elyse says

Wanted to tell everyone that I made these cupcakes for a woman’s retreat last week. More then 100 woman attended and each brought a snack to share. There was A LOT of snacks. I set these out on Friday afternoon and they were gone by Friday evening. They were one of the few homemade things and they were a BIG hit! So easy to make too!

Thanks for making me look good for the weekend with a great dessert! 😉

15. Heidi says

Elyse ~ thanks for sharing!

I’m so glad to hear that the gals at your women’s retreat loved the cupcakes!!

16. says

These are SO good and SO easy! Thank you! They are delicious as is. However, we frosted some of ours with homemade chocolate buttercream frosting and then decorated them to make rudolph the red-nosed reindeer cupcakes. They turned out SO cute! Thank you!

17. Kelli says

I’ve made these quite a few times and they are always a hit! As a side note, be careful when using the Betty Crocker SuperMoist Butter Recipe Chocolate mix. The batter is very light and you’ll find that you only need to fill the cupcake holders halfway with the chocolate batter (2/3 full leads to a mess!). I imagine this has to do with butter being used instead of oil, like in traditional cake mixes. They are still wonderful!

18. Carrie Phillips says

I just found your blog in the past month and started browsing through the recipes. Incidentally I bookmarked 5 or 6 of them!! I’m making these right now for a party :)
    Thanks for sharing!!
    Carrie

19. says

Heidi,
    Just found this site today. The cup cakes look and sound wonderful. I am the food chairman for our Church Youth group, and our kids will love these. How do I print the recipe? I can’t find a print place.
    I haven’t signed up yet, I will as soon as I send this post.
    Maryanna

• Heidi says

Hi Maryanna ~ so glad to have you here! To print the recipe, just click on the little printer icon at the bottom of the post ~ that will allow you to print an optimized version of the page. 😉

20. says

Thank You Heidi, guess I just didn’t look close enough. I’m 70 years old, and miss a few things along the way. I want to try these cup cakes they sound so good!! Thanks again.
    In Christian Love,
    Maryanna

21. Jessica Clarke says

Have some in the oven now! I didn’t have chocolate cake, so I used a white cake and put chocolate chips in that too. lol

22. a says

These are our “camping cupcakes” cause they don’t require frosting. They are the best in the world! Thanks for reminding me how good they are. I will have to make them again soon. :) Just a tip, I tried making them in a 9×13 once, didn’t work cause the middle wasn’t done enough.

23. CJ says

Say! this is the exact recipe i was looking for! My best friend moved away years ago andI had lost this recipe she gave me!!! These cupcakes ar deeeelish!

24. Nicole Tucker says

I used to make these with my great-grandmother when I was a kid! We called them Black Bottom Muffins … so yummy!

25. liz says

Totally made these with my daughter first cupcakes ive ever made they were amazing added a cream cheese strawberry frosting on them they were good next time ill probably not use frosting cause to sweet but they were so good.