Following is a delicious Homemade Graham Crackers Recipe and guest post
by Veronica at CookingMorningNooNight… enjoy!!
Homemade Graham Crackers Recipe
I am ADDICTED to Pinterest. Self-proclaimed, call it what you will, I probably need Pinterest Anonymous* sessions. If the seeping guilt of motherhood and 2 toddlers didn’t cloud my vision I’d probably devote every waking hour to that sucker! It’s just too good! So even though we are settling after one week of moving and have boxes up the wazoo I couldn’t pass up the chance to make these graham crackers. I don’t have a ruler (packed in a box) to make perfectly measured graham crackers, I don’t have a skewer to press in perfect circles (also in boxes).. I don’t even have a ROLLING PIN!
So there’s possibly, probably, most likely, a really good chance that when you make these they will turn out far prettier than mine. But to the homemade chef… taste is all that really matters! I hope you try them. I’ll be starting PA* meetings if anyone would like to join. It’s only a 2 step program: 1. Set the computer down 2. Walk away.
Enjoy with milk, peanut butter, chocolate frosting or our favorite….
You’re welcome 🙂
- 2½ cups all purpose, un-bleached flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into cubes then chilled in the freezer
- ⅓ cup honey
- 5 tablespoons whole milk
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix on low to incorporate. Add the butter and mix on low until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- In a small bowl whisk together the honey, milk and vanilla. And to the flour mixture and mix on low until the dough starts to come together. It might look crumbly and soft at this point so work it with your hands and form into a ball. Let sit in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to firm. Meanwhile prepare the topping by mixing together the cinnamon and sugar.
- Divide the dough in half and roll out unto a lightly floured surface into a long rectangle, about an ⅛″ thick. Flour as necessary to keep from sticking. Trim the edges to make the rectangle 8 inches wide and 12 inches long. Thus make a 3×2 of 4×4 inch cookies. This will give you the traditional graham cracker shape.
- Make a vertical line down the middle of each cracker being very careful not to cut through the dough. Using a toothpick or skewer, prick the dough to form two dotted rows in each half, 10 total.
- Transfer to a lightly greased or parchment lined cookie sheet. Sprinkle lightly with the cinnamon/sugar mixture.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes. Rotating halfway through and checking on them erring on the earlier side as not to burn the crackers. You will want them to be slightly firm to the touch.
Adapted from the Smitten Kitchen Blog. Veronica blogs at CookingMorningNooNight.blogspot.com! She has 2 beautiful boys who are her world, and a supportive husband who motivates her every day! She’s a self taught chef and loves to be experimental in the kitchen. She also loves to motivate other people to get in the kitchen and cook for the ones they love!
Still hungry?? Check out more delicious Snack Recipes below…
Have you ever made Homemade Graham Crackers before?
Leave a comment & share!