Reader Tips: 12 Thrifty Makeup Remover Tips!

I received the following question from frugal friend Kathryn…

“Hi Frugal Girls! I’m looking for a frugal, yet effective, eye makeup remover. Do you have any ideas… or even homemade concoctions? Would LOVE some feedback!!”

I shared this question on The Frugal Girls Facebook Page, and here are just a few of the great ideas that were shared…

Karen said: “A little dab of plain old baby oil on a cotton ball is what we used in the make up room at my theater for years.”

Elizabeth said: “Baby wipes!!  They work wonderfully….and if you cut each sheet in fourths, a package will last quite awhile.”

Heather said: “I make home made baby wipes and they work perfectly.”

Kristy said: “I like E.L.F. small eye make up remover pads. They are sold at Target for $1.00″

Sherry said: “Extra virgin olive oil works really well to remove eye makeup.”

Tobi said: “I use soap…that’s all I have ever used”

Lori said: “It isn’t homemade but it is cheap… good old fashioned vaseline”

Katherine said: “I use jojoba oil. It’s a bit expensive ($10 for 4oz), but that 4oz lasts me for about 2-3 months and I use it daily as a makeup remover.”

Rebekah said: “Coconut oil works well, too. I should try it with a cotton ball – silly me, never thought of that! It will be much less messy now, I’m sure.”

Melissa said: “I really like Mary Kay’s eye makeup remover. You can find it more inexpensive on ebay than the retail prices”

Jess said: “Baby wash works wonders for a makeup remover! So if you have kids, you won’t need to buy anything extra!”

Mary said: “Avon has a 99 cent makeup remover ~ it lasts forever and works well. Otherwise, Norwex has a cloth that can be used over and over.”

Do YOU have a frugal makeup remover tip?? Leave a comment & share!

33 Responses to Reader Tips: 12 Thrifty Makeup Remover Tips!

1. Whitney Smith says:

These are all really great tips.

You can also find Witch Hazel for pretty cheap at most grocery stores in the beauty or bath section. Mix 100% natural Witch Hazel with Olive Oil and it works as a great makeup remover :)

2. Amber White says:

I use my face lotion to remove eye makeup. I have sensitive skin so I can’t use anything that will irritate it. Face lotion works great and it is something I already have in my cabinet. It gets all the left over mascara and eyeliner off that my regular soap missed. Never have had to use eye make up remover!

• Sonya Parga says:

I am with you, I have always used facial lotion to remove any make-up! In fact, I rarely, if ever, use soap on my face – it is just too drying! I will rinse my face with water, rub lotion all over it and dry with a cloth instead.

3. marissa says:

I use Witch Hazel mixed with Almond Oil. Works fine and the almond oil is good for my skin too..$9.99 @ GNC for the almond oil, and the witch hazel is only a couple bucks. Plus I use the almond oil for my skin, my hair, nails…and the witch hazel as a toner for my face. Two ingredients with multiple uses seperately, but put together for makeup remover!

4. Nancy says:

Baby oil

5. I love the AVON makeup remover. It is normally $4 but on sale often for .99! It lasts a long time!

6. jill says:

I cut up old washcloths into quarters and use baby oil on them to remove make-up.

7. April Lane says:

To dry nail polish in a hurry, spray nails with PAM Oil Spray.

8. Kathy says:

yes….Avons is the best yet

9. Colleen Riggs says:

I like the Neutragena eye make up remover wipes (dont by the target brand… they dont measure up AT ALL) and I cut them in half because they’re huge!

10. Lisa Kaye says:

1 part baby shampoo, 4 parts distilled water. Makes an awesome make-up remover. Especially good for eye make-up and won’t sting your eyes.

11. Ema says:

Grapeseed oil… or Mary Kay. Neither is super cheap, but if you wash your face before removing eye makeup, there will only be a little left to wipe up so whatever you use will last forever, and both options are very good for the skin around the eyes.

12. Judy Booker says:

I use Pond’s Cold Cream and Make-up remover. It is in a green and white jar. Put it all over your face and rub it across your eyes to soften make-up. Remove with warm wet cloth. It is very moisturizing but gentle on the face.

13. Julie Vining says:

What about a inexpensive way to clean make-up brushes?

• Jen says:

For make up brushes I’ve always used a small dab of baby shampoo cleans really well and leaves the brushes soft.(if you don’t have any buy a travel size) I’ve used regular shampoo when I’ve run out works just as well but doesn’t leave it as soft.

• cindy says:

Plain old hand soap and water and let air dry. Do this every 3-4 months. Works wonderfully!

• brunette says:

handsoap can wreak havoc on brushes! I’ve had makeup artists recommend a sulfate-free shampoo and just a smidge of conditioner in order to keep the bristles soft. I think most makeup pros also suggest washing brushes once a week.

14. Allison says:

I love to use Vaseline for my mascara removal. It is the best. I also shave my legs with baby oil. It makes them smooth and shiny. Plus, the baby oil seems like it last forever and you never again have to buy shave gel.

15. Donna says:

for years i’ve used baby lotion that I would buy a large bottle from the dollar store, use a cotton ball to remove the make-up. This would last for months.

16. Kathie says:

I’m not trying to be a know-it-all, but I just read online that both vaseline and baby oil are not good to use on the eyes for makeup removal. Both can be harmful to the eyes if used consistently. Olive oil or coconut oil are ok to use. I’ve read that Aloe Vera can be used.

• Chris says:

Yes baby oil n vasiline have both caused blindness. (rare but true)… They r also flammable, thats why they cant use them in hospitals. Aloette has an awesome makeup remover made from essential oils, great for skin, lashes n all. Not cheap. I’ve heard the Avon is good also, but never tried it.. ;)

17. Colleen says:

You may also want to try using that old bottle of hair conditioner that you nolonger use in place of shaving cream. It works great and your legs wont be dry!

• Lila says:

I do this all the time i even use the one that comes in the hair coloring boxes when i have some left.I use it all over body and rinse off. Be careful though when youre in the tub or shower it can be slippery.

18. angela says:

Wow! I can not imagine putting olive oil on my eyes. But, then I can’t imagine going to my kitchen cabinet to get face cleanser either. My Mary Kay eye make up remover is $15 and lasts for more than 6 months, and that’s using it daily.

19. Christina Stewart says:

I just read a lot of really great ideas. In the end we all use what works best, however I have to agree with the coconut oil users. It’s a great moisurizer, good for hair, scalp, skin, nails. It does protect from the sun to some degree and helps to reapair skin. We use it on my grandmother who has had multiple skin cancers in the past. Anytime something comes up we apply and it goes away. We of course always follow up with her doctor who has been amazed. We even use it on the pets for allergies to skin where they have itched and it instantly relieves and heals. Just make sure it’s virgin cold pressed. Easily found in health food stores or online. A very very small amount goes a long way so even though it’s not super cheap initially the small amound and multiple uses make it really cost effective. You can also add a bit of bees wax to make a really great lip protectant.

20. Andria says:

I’ve always just used liquid hand soap, but I have recently started using Target’s ELF mascara, so now I want to try the ELF makeup remover pads someone mentioned!