124 Grapefruit?? What will YOU be Growing in YOUR Garden this Year??

Even though we had some crazy freezes this winter, and that wild tennis-ball sized hail storm I told you about over on Facebook… {yep ~ the one that dented my poor little car} ~ my Ruby Red Grapefruit survived!!

Wahoo!!  I never did like grapefruit ~ ever.  But… a few years back when I was laid off from my job at the hospital, I forced myself to try one.  Honestly… I had to ~ it was FREE food growing in my back yard!  I realized that {sprinkled with a little sugar} they were downright delicious… in a tastebud squealing sort of way!

So, this year, our Grapefruit Tree {which I’ve grown to love} gave us 124 grapefruit!

Just what does that mean??  Well… grapefruit for breakfast, grapefruit for lunch, grapefruit for snacks, grapefruit for friends, grapefruit for grandma & grandpa, fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice in the fridge, and fresh-squeezed grapefruit concentrate in the freezer!  Whew ~ that’s a whole lot of grapefruit! ;)

Now… I want to hear about YOUR gardens and gardening plans!!

What will YOU be growing in YOUR garden this year??

Leave a comment & share!

21 Responses to 124 Grapefruit?? What will YOU be Growing in YOUR Garden this Year??

1. Sharon in Cali says:

Awesome Heidi! I don’t have a grapefruit tree but my neighbor does and sent over which seems like 124. He also gave us oranges. We love them both! I have 12 fruit trees in my yard and I share my bounty with friends, neighbors and co-workers. They have nick-named me “Farmer Sharon” at work. I love sharing what I have…..Enjoy!

2. Amanda says:

I have 3 blueberry bushes near my pool and I have 2 grape vines. Last year we made 35 jars of blueberry and grape jam! It was so much fun!!!! I want to go an apple tree, but of course to cross poly, I would have to have 2 trees, but 2 trees?

3. Kelly from Kentucky says:

What are you going to do with all of those grapefruits??? They look like they might be the size of a naval orange.
    This year I have to change everything up that I usually plant. I plant vegetables in pots on the deck and usually it’s tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, and cherry tomatoes. I’m thinking this year I will try cabbage, brussel spots, and broccoli.

4. Heather says:

We have grapefruits, oranges, and lemons just growing like crazy. The garden will have lots of tomatoes, mixed greens, corn, legumes, peppers, and if I get adventurous some melons. I usually won’t grow those in Arizona though because they require so much water.

5. LindaB says:

Now that’s what I love to see! I love my fruit trees and I enjoy giving fruit to neighbors and friends too. I have a large yard and I try and plant a fruit tree of some kind every year. I now have 2 blueberry bushes, 1 self-pollinating kiwi, 1 asian pear, 1 peach, 1 all-in-one almond, 1 honeybell orange, 1 ruby red grapefruit, 1 lime, 1 kumquat, 1 stella dora cherry (doesn’t look too good and hasn’t had a cherry yet?!#%**?) 1 bananna, 2 large loquat trees and an asparagus garden that I wish was bigger. This really saves us money and provides a LOT of wonderful fruit. My sons gave me 2 raised bed gardens for Christmas that I am going to plant in March…wish me luck, I’m a novice at vegetable planting!

6. Stephanie says:

I unfortunately live in the city and do not have much room. My daughter however is growing a head of cabbage. It is for a school project. I am hoping it survives for her sake.

7. brooke says:

We got some seeds from Seed Savers Exchange. Some Purple Peppers, Chocolate Peppers, Dragon Carrots, Crystal Apple Cucumbers and Huckleberries.

8. Jodie Lynch says:

Pink lemons! I had to bring my tree inside. This is the coldest weather we’ve had in years. It’s even too cold in the garage with Christmas lights on it.

9. Stephanie says:

I’m hoping to get tomatos growing this year. We had actually let our garden plot grow over becuse it get to hot to garden in Texas. But I don’t like store bought tomatos…..

I’m soooooo jealous of your fresh grapefruit!!!

10. merle says:

Oh Heidi I am sooo jealous!! Living in the northeast – there’s really not much option for fruit trees and certainly not organic ones. Don’t forget to candy the peel – it’s delicious, especially dipped in chocolate. Wish I could share with you. We usually grow tomatoes, peppers and sometimes carrots. Last year there was a snake in my garden -so everything went in pots, which remarkably, kept the bunnies away :)

11. Oh how about some grapefruit marmalade? I LOVE grapefruit, but it does not grow on trees around here! :) I am planning a huge garden again this year. 20 varieties of tomatoes – 10 varieties of hot peppers, corn, cucumbers, watermelon, cantaloupe, pumpkin, squash ok I will stop there but I will be planting so much more WOO HOO :)

12. jane says:

We used to have a couple trees at our old place and we would would give all the extra bounty to shelters and food pantries. They were always happy for the donations. They needed it more than our neighbors or friends.

13. Alicia says:

I have oranges, grapefruits, and lemons. I was given a Jack LeLanne juicer as a gift about a year ago, and it is the best thing I have ever received. It is SO worth it if you have citrus trees, because anyone with a lemon tree knows how hard it is to actually use all the lemons you get from it! And I have more than 1 lemon tree! I make weeks’ worth of juice in about an hour and then freeze most of it in small individual Ziplocs. The best part of that is I will have frozen juice concentrate during the summer so when the water comes out of my faucet boiling hot, I already have a giant block of juice-ice to cool it down!

14. Kimberly says:

Wait – you live in Phoenix, right? Aren’t the weather conditions similar there to Vegas? How in the world do you grow stuff?! I grew up in Mississippi where if you threw a seed into your yard, it would grow. Here…totally different story.

15. Heidi says:

Yep ~ I’m in Phoenix, and citrus seems to grow really well here! I grew up in Washington State though, so gardening here is very different. Back in Washington, we had apple trees, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, and strawberries. {YUM!} ;)

16. Jetta says:

I don’t comment very often – but I’m jealous – no need for sugar on the grapefruit – just eat it without the membranes/skins and it’s not so sour. My new favorite fruit is a pummelo – now if I could grow those . . . but not in Michigan!!!

17. Ashli Welsh says:

Better not let my 7 year old see this post, grapefruit are his FAVORITE!!! I wish we had some here, unfortunately they are not suited to grow in Charlotte. I’m hoping to get some blueberry bushes or a peach tree at some point, but this year I’ll be planting some zucchini and tomatoes!

18. Kendra Schimke says:

I did my first garden last summer! I’m in Milwaukee, WI so I’m kinda limited on what I can grow, but I grew 2 different lettuces, spinach, tomatoes, beans, squash, zucchini, hot peppers, cucumbers, carrots, onions, and basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme, and parsley. I loved it and ate lunch from it every day! I’m jealous of all of you that can grow citrus and have fruit trees :)

19. Sara says:

I have a peach tree, but other than night we grow a TON of veggi’s. Tons of tomatoes, lots of onions, belly peppers, cucumber, carrots. We grow a ton of the ingredients needed to make spaghetti sauce. nothing like fresh sauce. corn, green beans (for pickling). I’d like to try ocra but that’s a very new thing so we’ll see. Might give herbs a try this year too.

20. Shannon Young says:

You should try honey on your grapefruit… so delicious!!! Your picture just made my moth start watering like crazy :) Not even close to growing season here but I can’t wait for it. I have a beautiful grape vine and absolutely love making grape jelly! Last year was my first year growing pumpkins and it was so much fun! My son loved it and everyday we would go and and check to see how many we had. We also grow squash, zucchini, carrots, peas, beans, tomatoes, potatoes, onions, peppers, cucumbers (we made SO many pickles last year) and jalapenos. This year we’re hoping to plant eggplant and sweet corn!! I wish we had some fruit trees but they’re everywhere in this valley so we can get them fresh whenever we want!!