How to Keep Strawberries Fresh!

How to Keep Strawberries Fresh at TheFrugalGirls.com

Do you love Strawberries??  I sure do!  I love them fresh, in Fruit Kabobs, in Very Berry Smoothies, in Freezer Jam, in No-Crust Strawberry Pie, in Strawberry Almond Chocolate Trifles, in Fruity Lemonade Slush… yep ~ pretty much all the time! ;)

Following is a kitchen tip shared by frugal friend Susan on The Frugal Girls Facebook page!

“Since strawberries are starting to show up at the grocery stores, and will soon be at the Farmer’s Markets, I thought I would share a little trick that my good ol’ Mom told me about.

To keep the strawberries fresh longer in the refrigerator, use 1 Part White Vinegar to 10 Parts Water.  Soak the strawberries, leaves and all in the vinegar/water mixture for a few minutes.  Then drain the strawberries in a colander until they are completely dry.

Then I place my strawberries in an uncovered bowl in the refrigerator.  The vinegar/water mixture kills any mold spores on the strawberries and keeps them fresh longer.  The vinegar does not affect the taste.  This also works for all kinds of berries: blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, etc.  It really works!!”

If you love Strawberries, be sure to check out the following…

Tips for Growing Perfect Strawberries!

Easy Tips for Growing Perfect Strawberries from TheFrugalGirls.com

Strawberry Lemonade Punch Recipe

Strawberry Lemonade Punch Recipe from TheFrugalGirls.com

Fresh Strawberry Popsicles Recipe

Fresh Strawberry Popsicles Recipe

No-Crust Strawberry Pie Recipe

No Crust Strawberry Pie Recipe

Cream Cheese Filled Strawberries…

Cream Cheese Filled Strawberries

Easy Freezer Jam Recipe…

Freezer Jam

Find more Fun Inspiration with The Frugal Girls here:

Button - The Frugal Girls on Pinterest
Button - The Frugal Girls on Instagram
Button - The Frugal Girls Email Updates
Button - The Frugal Girls on Facebook
Button - The Frugal Girls on Google+

34 Responses to How to Keep Strawberries Fresh!

1. Elena says:

Just brought strawberries this afternoon. I am going to try this.

2. Pat Chubb says:

Another use for the ever popular white vinegar…who knew??

3. Jaclyn says:

Tried it this week… didn’t let them dry completely because it was 10pm and I wanted to go to bed, but I did cut the greens off, quartered them, and put them in my Pyrex and they are still going strong. Thanks for sharing!

4. Mary says:

Tried this 2 weeks ago today with 2 qts of strawberries. It worked perfectly!!!! Ate the final handful of berries today, and they were still good!! Followed directions, even leaving in an uncovered bowl. Thank you so much for this post!!

5. Moreen Clifford says:

I do the white paper towel trick with fresh mushrooms,and they last twice as long.

• Brooke says:

Can you share that trick please?!

• Lesley Imre says:

You can rinse an put kitchen towel under most fruits that you keep in the fridge, they last much longer and stay fresh.. The Same with fresh herbs- wrap them in kitchen towel and sprinkle water over, roll up and pop them back in the bag and they last for over a week..

6. Marilyn says:

Thanks for the tip! All of my children are grown and I can’t eat the berries before some appear with mold on them. Can’t wait to try this.

7. Sharon says:

Thanks for the tip! No more wasted strawberries!yay

8. Sally Bassett says:

Thank you so much for this hint. Our strawberries are coming in now and I will try this

9. One more BIG Tip:
    On my way to the studio this time a year- I see “The Strawberry Man” everyday. His truck parked along our country road- back filled with baskets of SC Strawberries. So of course- I buy these fresh ones!

He told me HIS TIP for making strawberries last as LONG as possible.
    After you wash them (I am adding the vinegar next time too) ::::
    place them on a clean dishtowel to dry- NOT TOUCHING each other.
    Takes quite a whole to TOTALLY dry- so important to not let them touch.
    After they dry- then can tuck them in paper towels in the fridge.

It works!

10. Anshu says:

I’m so gonna try this. I just threw away a bunch of moldy strawberries yesterday…ouch. Thanks for sharing the tip.

11. Reeserl says:

I can have white vinegar. Does apple cider vinegar work too?

12. Alethea says:

Do you think this will work for grapes??

13. You just changed my life. This is awesome!!

14. Cassie says:

This is a great tip and it works with all kinds of berries, including blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries, too.

• Tracy says:

I just wanted to be sure, do you not rinse the water/vinegar rinse off after they dry? I would think you taste the vinegar, no?

15. Jen says:

Good idea. Dr oz also says you can soak strawberries in water for 5min to remove most of the pesticides. So that first and then the vinegar would be an even better idea.

16. Lusine says:

thank youuu,with me the strawberries lasted only for a day before!

17. Julie Lewis says:

When you say 1 part…how much does that mean? like 1 cup of vinegar to 10 cups of water? Sorry.. really stupid question I know….

• Tiffany says:

Julie, it means however much you choose to make……for example if you put one teaspoon vinegar, then you’d put 10 teaspoons water. Or cups or anything else. Not stupid! :-)

• India Tolbert says:

That’s funny. I was just about to ask that. Thanks for asking and getting my question answered. I’m always wondering about that.

18. MaryAnne Keough says:

This works so well- I have been using this method for all my berries. I feel that it probobly helps to clean any dirt or bugs off too. White vinegar is a great cleansing agent. Thanks somuch. Haven’t had1 singlemoldy blackberry, blu berry, or strawberry this season!

19. Nancy says:

Thought this was interesting. Tried it with the last batch of store bought… It REALLY worked! Thanks so much!

20. bridget says:

I tried this but forgot the step of drying them first, yeah instant yuck, so make sure to dry before putting back in fridge.