How to Keep Strawberries Fresh!

How to Keep Strawberries Fresh at TheFrugalGirls.com

Do you love Strawberries??  I sure do!  I love them fresh, in Fruit Kabobs, in Very Berry Smoothies, in Freezer Jam, in No-Crust Strawberry Pie, in Strawberry Almond Chocolate Trifles, in Fruity Lemonade Slush… yep ~ pretty much all the time! ;)

Following is a kitchen tip shared by frugal friend Susan on The Frugal Girls Facebook page!

“Since strawberries are starting to show up at the grocery stores, and will soon be at the Farmer’s Markets, I thought I would share a little trick that my good ol’ Mom told me about.

To keep the strawberries fresh longer in the refrigerator, use 1 Part White Vinegar to 10 Parts Water.  Soak the strawberries, leaves and all in the vinegar/water mixture for a few minutes.  Then drain the strawberries in a colander until they are completely dry.

Then I place my strawberries in an uncovered bowl in the refrigerator.  The vinegar/water mixture kills any mold spores on the strawberries and keeps them fresh longer.  The vinegar does not affect the taste.  This also works for all kinds of berries: blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, etc.  It really works!!”

If you love Strawberries, be sure to check out the following…

Tips for Growing Perfect Strawberries!

Easy Tips for Growing Perfect Strawberries from TheFrugalGirls.com

Strawberry Lemonade Punch Recipe

Strawberry Lemonade Punch Recipe from TheFrugalGirls.com

Fresh Strawberry Popsicles Recipe

Fresh Strawberry Popsicles Recipe

No-Crust Strawberry Pie Recipe

No Crust Strawberry Pie Recipe

Cream Cheese Filled Strawberries…

Cream Cheese Filled Strawberries

Easy Freezer Jam Recipe…

Freezer Jam

Find more Fun Inspiration with The Frugal Girls here:

Button - The Frugal Girls on Pinterest
Button - The Frugal Girls on Instagram
Button - The Frugal Girls Email Updates
Button - The Frugal Girls on Facebook
Button - The Frugal Girls on Google+

Comments

1. Jaclyn says

Tried it this week… didn’t let them dry completely because it was 10pm and I wanted to go to bed, but I did cut the greens off, quartered them, and put them in my Pyrex and they are still going strong. Thanks for sharing!

2. Mary says

Tried this 2 weeks ago today with 2 qts of strawberries. It worked perfectly!!!! Ate the final handful of berries today, and they were still good!! Followed directions, even leaving in an uncovered bowl. Thank you so much for this post!!

• Lesley Imre says

You can rinse an put kitchen towel under most fruits that you keep in the fridge, they last much longer and stay fresh.. The Same with fresh herbs- wrap them in kitchen towel and sprinkle water over, roll up and pop them back in the bag and they last for over a week..

3. Marilyn says

Thanks for the tip! All of my children are grown and I can’t eat the berries before some appear with mold on them. Can’t wait to try this.

4. says

One more BIG Tip:
    On my way to the studio this time a year- I see “The Strawberry Man” everyday. His truck parked along our country road- back filled with baskets of SC Strawberries. So of course- I buy these fresh ones!

He told me HIS TIP for making strawberries last as LONG as possible.
    After you wash them (I am adding the vinegar next time too) ::::
    place them on a clean dishtowel to dry- NOT TOUCHING each other.
    Takes quite a whole to TOTALLY dry- so important to not let them touch.
    After they dry- then can tuck them in paper towels in the fridge.

It works!

• Tracy says

I just wanted to be sure, do you not rinse the water/vinegar rinse off after they dry? I would think you taste the vinegar, no?

5. Jen says

Good idea. Dr oz also says you can soak strawberries in water for 5min to remove most of the pesticides. So that first and then the vinegar would be an even better idea.

6. Julie Lewis says

When you say 1 part…how much does that mean? like 1 cup of vinegar to 10 cups of water? Sorry.. really stupid question I know….

• Tiffany says

Julie, it means however much you choose to make……for example if you put one teaspoon vinegar, then you’d put 10 teaspoons water. Or cups or anything else. Not stupid! :-)

• India Tolbert says

That’s funny. I was just about to ask that. Thanks for asking and getting my question answered. I’m always wondering about that.

7. MaryAnne Keough says

This works so well- I have been using this method for all my berries. I feel that it probobly helps to clean any dirt or bugs off too. White vinegar is a great cleansing agent. Thanks somuch. Haven’t had1 singlemoldy blackberry, blu berry, or strawberry this season!

8. Nancy says

Thought this was interesting. Tried it with the last batch of store bought… It REALLY worked! Thanks so much!

9. bridget says

I tried this but forgot the step of drying them first, yeah instant yuck, so make sure to dry before putting back in fridge.

10. Shawn Lewis says

I have started doing this for all fruits and veggies that I eat the skins of. So far I have done this with apples, berries, grapes, and cucumbers and they have all lasted longer. I’ve had some apples for close to a month that are still good!

11. says

I’ve been meaning to try this for a while now, but after my last batch of moldy berries I had enough! I have three pounds of strawberries soaking in the sink as we speak! Can’t wait to see the result!

12. says

Hey, thanks for the tip. I was just talking to my son about the strawberries that I bought yesterday and how I wish they stayed fresh/unmoldy longer. Off to try this tip.

13. Linda Woodmansee` says

Even easier, a tip I read somewhere ?? , keep unwashed berries in a glass jar with a metal lid. They stay fresh for two weeks or more. It works for all berries, of course, raspberries not quite as long.

14. Don Brandeberry says

I grow my own berries (beginner) and pick some that are not complete ripe. How do I store them to ripen ???? Help