How to Make a Fleece Scarf with Fringes {Cute!}

I’ve got such a fun project to share with you today ~ how to make a Super-Cute Fringed Fleece Scarf!

Make one for yourself, or give one as a gift!  You can even make a shorter scarf version for daughters, nieces, grandaughters, etc.!

Have fun with the color combinations, too! Use fun fall and winter colors… or use a combination of your favorite team’s colors, for cheering on your local high school or college team!

Thank you to frugal friends Stephanie, Laurie, Katie, Amanda, and Lynn for sharing the ideas behind this pattern on The Frugal Girls Facebook page!

> 3 Pieces of Fleece: 5″ wide by 60″ long.  {if making a scarf for a child, cut the fleece to approx. 36″ – 48″ long}
> Scissors
> Sewing Machine

Use coordinating colors ~ I used 2 solids and 1 pattern.

Once you have cut your 3 pieces of fleece, stack the three pieces on top of each other, like this…

Stitch up the middle using a sewing machine {you could also hand sew this, but a sewing machine will make the project so much easier and faster}.

Now, being that I don’t actually own a sewing machine, I took my fleece on over to my local dry cleaners, and their sweet seamstress stitched up the middle of my scarf for just a few dollars. 😉

Now, it’s time to cut the fringes toward the middle stitch on each side, leaving 1″ in the middle.

Be careful and make sure you don’t cut over the stitch!

My fringes were about 3/4″ wide.  {you could also make your fringes a bit more narrow if you want it to be fluffier} 😉

There you go ~ that’s it!  How simple is that?!?

These will keep you cozy warm this fall and winter.  Make one for yourself, and give one as a gift!

More Fun Crafts & Project Ideas!
How to Make Toilet Paper Pumpkins
How to Make Cute Hair Clips for Babies & Little Girls
How to Make Flower Headbands for Babies & Little Girls

Comments

1. Beth says

I have made these before and they are super simple and turn out so cute. Best part is…they hold up well in the washing machine!

2. kelli says

you could skip the sewing all together-if you don’t have a machine or a lovely seamstress and just tie the fringes in knots. I have made plenty of blankets that way and it looks like it would work for this also.

3. Jessie says

awesome~! I will be making these for christmas gifts as well….. do you think there are other types of fabric that could be used, or does it have to be fleece?

4. Shauna says

I have done this as a project for young girls ages 8 and 9. I put a piece of wide masking tape over the stitching to make sure they didn’t cut through it. Works great and they love to give them to their friends for gifts!

5. says

We make these @ church. Also something for you ladies to try is to Use pinking shears it gives them a totally cute look and the little girls love them soooo much.

6. Serena says

I have made these before….I made them for kids with rubber duckies and coordinating material….it is easy to make them out of scrap fleece as well. Even if you don’t have sewing machine you can make them with a hand stitch.

7. Michelle Baker says

We purchased fleece in our school colors – made these with two layers of fleece and sold them as a fundraiser for the marching band! Great profit margin if you can get the fleece on sale!

8. JAMIE says

You could use 2 colors and no sew method! Lay on top same way/ cut same way/ then tie them like the no sew fleece blanket kits!

9. Jennifer Willis says

I have a question….are the pieces really only suppose to the 5″ wide? This seems a bit thin to me, and your pieces look wider than 5″.

• Andrea says

Great instructional!
      I make & sell these on a regular basis (as well as blankets, hats, pillows, pet toys, etc.) out of fleece. 5″ is “do-able,” but for adults, I would recommend 6-8 inches. It gives a little bit more coverage and, in turn, more warmth. :-)

10. Donna Gates says

Make sure its a fleece material for the woman who asked cause if you don’t other material sheds bad so always go with fleece.

11. Chris Staats says

I thought this was such a cute idea that I’m going to take the same basic concept and make a couple of baby blankets for my first nephew. I will post pics when I’m done :)

• Sheri says

Hello! I did this with fleece for a baby blanket, it came out so awesome! And the fleece doesn’t fray so it’s safe for baby. (Other matierals are a chocking hazard once they fray). (( Toughest part is the fleece is super thick at points… )) Good luck!

12. Marisol says

I have a sewing machine but am horrible at sewing! LOL… But I’m willing to try this project, seems fairly easy 😉 Have any of you tried to make a fleece hat? I want to make some for the kids but can’t seem to find one with pictures. I need pictures in order to “get it” lol…

13. Jennifer says

Today we had our Christmas party at work and we all give each other a little gift. I made this scarf for the girls I work with and they absolutely loved them.

Thank you for the wonderful tip. Merry xmas!!

14. carrie Moore says

i love that pattern i made one for my daughters and they wear them all the time and i get comments from people everywhere i go. they are fun and elagent and easy to make i would never use any other pattern its a fun and easy way to throw in a punch of something when your going out.
    thanks for helpful tips.

15. Rose says

I have been looking for a simple craft idea for our church as a fund raiser for the 2011 Relay for Life in June This is one will be presented to our outreach ministry. In my mind I can see the color scheme in pinks fushia and white already. Thanks for this idea !

16. Kimberly says

I made these for our school’s holiday store. I used our state’s College colors. Huge hit! Doing this again next year!!

17. Jude from MN says

I had a similar idea in my head for my 1st grader and was so glad to find your website with the measurements. Lots of family and friends will be getting these for Christmas this year. Thanks!

18. Karen says

I am SO excited to find this website!! And I will be making these scarves for the ladies on our list this year! Thanks so much!

19. Barbara Whitworth says

I have been having so much fun with fleece… i havent gotten to ever wear to much of it i lived in Key west for years and years.. but now back in Oklahoma… Itis so toasty… I wanna nakes some scarves, but i started out with a blanket, then did O,U. pillows, the i went on a yard sale site through facebook and found a glider rocker… came home washed the cushions, and went and bought fleece and did the tie thing around the cushions and it turned out cute as a bugs ear… all in O.U. colors… we are big O.U. fans so now our house relfects the decor!

20. cheryl says

HI, I AM MAAKING A FEW FEECE SCARVES FOR MY GRANDDAUGHTER IN HER CHEERLEADING COLORS. MY QUESTION IS DO YOU USE A ROTERY CUTTER OR JUST SCISSORS TO CUT OUT STRIPS. THIS IS GOING TO BE FUN AND THANK YOU FOR SHARING. CHERYL

21. holley driskell says

do you tie all three together? i know how to do two colors…but three confuses me. please help! i’m going these for our competitive cheerleaders.

22. Christine Estrada says

Thank you for the great information! These scarves are fantastic! I have learned how to tie two layers/two fringes together. How do you tie 3 fringes together?