How To Make Homemade Baby Wipes…

I received the following question from frugal friend Jenny on The Frugal Girls Facebook page.

Let’s help her out, and share some ideas!

“I am looking for a good, easy recipe to make homemade baby wipes.  There are many variations out there, so what works best for you??”

So… have you ever made Homemade Baby Wipes?

Do you have a baby wipe ‘recipe’ or tip to share??

Leave a comment, and let us know!

How to Make Foaming Baby Wash
Potty Training Tips + Tricks!

Photobucket

55 Responses to How To Make Homemade Baby Wipes…

1. Heather says:

You can use flannel, obv (organic bamboo velour), sherpa..those all work very nicely when cut into squares and serged or zig zag stitched. You can also buy some baby wash clothes and use those.

For the solution, I use Dr. Bronner’s castile soap in the baby formula and water. I put it in a peri bottle and add a few drops of the soap and warm water. When I am ready to use a wipe I squirt some solution on it and use it!

2. Susie Tanner says:

When my kids were little, I used the Tupperware recipe, I just googled it for you:
    Ingredients

•2 1/2 cup Water

•2 tsp Baby Shampoo or Baby Bath

•1 tsp. Baby Oil

•1/2 Roll Paper Towels (Bounty)

Directions

Mix water, shampoo and oil in Tupperware container. Place paper towels in Saltine Saver or other long tall Tupperware Container. Pour mixture over paper towels until soaked. Remove inner cardboard and pull wipes from center for use.

• Kelley says:

Viva paper towels are so much better!! Way softer than Bounty. I love these wipes.

• Allyson Chamberlain says:

Add a few drops of Tea Tree Oil. It is an awesome anti bacterial, and anti fungal, the smell is distinct and great. I also add a few drops of jojoba Oil instead of the Baby oil it is also anti fungal and doesn’t clog pores and is used for people with skin allergies!

• Diana says:

This is the recipe I have used for YEARS. Even after my son no longer wore diapers I still make them. They are great to use for adults when needed too.

• Jessica Perez says:

So, exactly what did you use to cut your paper towels in half? Just sitting here visualizing me trying to use a knife and them all fraying LOL !
      Thanks.

3. Kristi says:

We do cloth diapers and use cheap baby washcloths as our “wipes” (just throw them in the wash with the dirty diapers). For the wipe solution, we have a 2 gal. water jug with a spigot – just put in a bottle of baby wash, a bottle of baby oil, and fill with water. The solution lasts 1-2 months, and allows us to “make” wipes as needed.

4. Christina McKenzie says:

When I was a baby, “wipes” weren’t something you just bought in the store. As a result, my mom purchased a bunch of washcloths and through them in the diaper pail with the cloth diapers. However, if you aren’t using cloth diapers, it isn’t quite as easy that way! I had a friend who used a solution similar to the “tupperware” recipe, but didn’t put paper towel in the solution. She simply kept several washcloths in the solution and then thru them in the laundry when they were used (rotating out used ones for clean). I recommend picking either a color that won’t show the stains (brown…) or picking a light color that can hold up to bleaching! And my personal opinion is I’d rather wash it separate from the rest of my laundry…

5. My husbands old t-shirts :) Just cut them up and they have been washed so many times they are soft

6. Melissa Reddin says:

I use baby wash cloths. All I do is keep a spray bottle with water in it at the changing table and spray the wash cloth. I only wipe the area if my son has a poopy diaper or has really soaked his pre-fold. I wipe him off with the wash cloth, fold it and set it aside. Then I use California Baby’s Diaper Area Wash and spray it once directly on his skin and use the wash cloth that is wet to wipe him off. The bottle of Wash last a really long time too.

7. Sterling Rose says:

I used Susie Tanner’s recipe when my boys were babies. Just be sure to use a good serated knife to cut the paper towel roll in half. It saved a lot of money & worked great!

8. Megan says:

I use baby washcloths for my cloth wipes. For the solution, I found a recipe online somewhere.

2Tbsp baby wash
    2Tbsp olive oil
    2Cups water

Simple. I sometimes will include a few drops of tea tree oil, especially if baby has a rash. But you can also do a couple of drops of lavender oil to give it a yummy smell. I put this solution in a spray bottle. Then at diaper changing time, I can squirt baby’s bum, wipe and toss all of the dirty stuff in the diaper pail.

9. Deb says:

I mix about 2 T Dr Bronners and 2 T olive oil, a few drops of tea tree oil, and 2 cups of water in a small spray bottle. Spray a little or a lot on a wash cloth, and wash those with the diapers.

10. Megan Benton says:

I have been making my own wipes for years. I take a Bounty paper towel roll and saw it in half leaving 2 half rolls. Then I use a Rubermaid round pitcher, and shove the paper towel roll down to the bottom. I mix 2 cups hot water and 2 tablespoons of Method baby soap (a bit pricey, but it works perfectly because it isn’t super bubbly). Then pour over the paper towel roll and let sit for a couple hours to all soak in. Then pull the cardboard tube out and pull the wipes.

I also take them out and am able to put them in a wipe holder to stick in your diaper bag. When going on vacation I just bring the whole pitcher with us. So handy in the car!

11. Candy says:

I do something similar to the “Tupperware” recipe. 1/2 roll bounty paper towels. Electric knife is wonderful for this – got mine free of course. Place papertowels in rubbermaid container #6 size, or something similar (tupperware, folgers plastic coffee can, etc). microwave 2 1/2 cups water for 4 minutes. add to hot water 1 tablespoon baby oil, 1 tablespoon baby wash, and a couple drops tea tree oil. stir then pour over papertowels. put lid on and put something heavy on top (iron skillet, gallon of vinegar, whatever.) After a while, 45 min. or so, remove lid, pull out cardboard core, and pull wipes from center.
    I have used a modified version of this using the baby washcloths when I did cloth diaper, and I just tossed them with the diapers in the wash.

12. Maren McLaren says:

I used cut-up old t-shirts like someone else mentioned as well as some baby washcloths I had around. I made it ahead of time and put in water, lavender oil (just a little) and some aloe and threw them in with my cloth diapers. By the way, this “conversation” is making me think maybe I should keep little rags with a squirt bottle in my car for messes with my older kids now — I’ve been buying regular wipes!

13. I use cloth wipes with my cloth diapers. I make my solution up in a batch so I can make wipes whenever I need them.

My solution is:
    ~7 cups warm water
    ~4 oz baby wash

Shake well to dissolve the baby wash. You can add baby oil, but I found that it always left oily residue and I didn’t like that.

14. Bree says:

I have found that cutting up receiving blankets into wipe sized squares works amazing! You just surge or zig zag stitch the edges! You can find receiving blankets super cheap at thrift stores or consignment shops and it makes a lot of them! They are softer than wash cloths on their little bottoms!

Make your wipe formula (there are recipes everywhere online) and put it into a spray bottle. Spray one before use, throw it in a plastic bag, wash in a baby friendly detergent and reuse! I cloth diaper my little one as well and this works GREAT for us, especially since I’m having to do the laundry anyways with the diapers!

15. shari says:

i tried making the wipes, with a little baby wash soap, and water, with a half bounty roll… but i’m noticing that they started to stink after a few days, like laundry sitting in the washer too long. i’m wondering if there’s anything to help keep the solution from souring?

• lalaisluv says:

Are you using well water? If so, maybe an inexpensive distilled water would be better.

• shari says:

i’ve just been using the tap water which is clorinated. distilled water is an interesting solution.

• Stephanie says:

The same thing happened to me.You need to add tee tree oil. It is a natural anti-bacterial oil,just a few drops. Your wipes will last longer & there are other benefits too. I also add Lavender oil. I am also experimenting with Vitamin E & Aloe. Good Luck!

16. Ashley says:

I haven’t personally used homemade baby wipes, but when my kids had bad diaper rashes I would use water and some dial anti_back soap on a wash cloth and use that instead of wipes! The rash would clear up dramatically in a day and be gone by the end of day two. You could use the dial soap in place of the baby wash in these recipies and maybe it would work as a preventative:-) I am currently pregnant with my third child and I know I am going to give it a shot!

17. We cloth diapered our son and found it was actually easier to also use cloth wipes and just put it all in the laundry together. I used to make a mixture of the following (sorry I can’t remember the exact measurements, it was mainly water though):
    Water
    Baby wash
    Some kind of oil (at first I used up my stretch mark oil then baby oil then sometimes olive oil, whatever I had on hand)
    Tea Tree Oil
    Vitamin E Oil

I loaded ours into a wipes warmer which seemed to keep the changes from being a shocking surprise to our little one. Also, I used baby flannel cut to fit folded in half in the wipe warmer. Some were cut up receiving blankets (useless when you have a huge baby, seriously those blankets were like trying to wrap him in a hand towel), some were scraps of flannel on sale at JoAnn, some were just scraps from my fabric stash but I cut them and serged the edges. It might have also worked to cut with pinking shears for those without a serger.

18. Dayna says:

I wonder if anyone has ever tried coconut oil? I really dislike the smell of tea tree oil but I know that is probably what keeps the wipes from going bad since it has antibacterial properties. Coconut oil is antibacterial too and it smells so much better! I have been using cut up t-shirts (you don’t have to sew them) and just water. I think I am going to try to cut up some receiving blankets or buy some flannel. It is pretty inexpensive. Do you just do a single layer of flannel or surge multiple layers together?

• Caralee says:

I totally use coconut oil in my baby wipes. I also use lavender essential oil too. Lavender has many of the same properties as tea tree oil but it is even more gentle on babies little bums and I love the smell.

I do about 2-3 cups water, a few teaspoons of baby soap, a few teaspoons of coconut oil and then about 5-10(or more I really just add it until it smells good) drops of lavender oil.

19. Katy says:

I used old flannel receiving blankets cut to 8×8. I just sewed a zigzag stitch around the edge or serged the edges. For wipe solution I use a recipe I found online. (http://www.zany-zebra.com/cloth-wipe-solution.shtml) There are several different recipes but I use the one as follows:
    1 cup hot water
    1 chammomile tea bag
    1 tsp. oil (I use almond oil)
    1 tsp soap (I use Dr. Bronner’s Unscented Baby soap)
    1 drop lavender essential oil (I actually use lime or orange)

I have a few small spray bottles for diaper bags and a bigger one for the house. I make a double or triple batch at a time and then spray a wipe or the baby bum at changing time.

The 8×8 size of wipe is nice because it fits well into an old regular wipes container (huggies, etc.)You can even fold them so they pop up each time.

20. cindy says:

You can also make facial cloths to remove your makeup. I take paper towels (the ones that have sections in them) Put them in your old facial wipe container or tupperware and mix 2 teaspoons body wash of your choice and 4 cups hot water. Pour over paper towels. Works great and saves tons of money.