Operation Christmas Child Shoeboxes! {Sharing our Frugal Finds}

Like it?  Pin it!

Pinterest Follow The Frugal Girls

Every year, our family loves putting together shoeboxes for Operation Christmas Child!

It has been such a special tradition for my boys, hubby and I to gather up goodies and pack up shoeboxes for children in impoverished countries, that might not otherwise even receive a gift!

As Frugal Girls, it’s easy for us all to stumble across great deals and freebies, and this is such a great way to give back to others and share our frugal finds!

And now, you can even join Uncle Si from Duck Dynasty when you put together your own Operation Christmas Child Shoeboxes!  Check out this fun video below…

Boxes Can Include:

Finger Puppet Sets on Sale

Operation Christmas Child Box IdeasBe sure to check your local Hobby Lobby for deals!

Hobby Lobby Flip Flops

Just look at how excited these kiddos in Bogota, Columbia were when they received their gifts…

If you’d like to participate, here’s what you’ll need to do:

Have YOU ever packed a shoebox for Operation Christmas Child?

What are some things you like to include when packing your shoeboxes??

Leave a comment and share!

6 Responses to Operation Christmas Child Shoeboxes! {Sharing our Frugal Finds}

1. Catherine Kraft says:

Some of the things I have put in my boxes are: color book, crayons, colored pencils, fancy shoelaces (can use for hair ties), stuffed animals, combs, fun pencils with pencil sharpener, kids pack kleenex, hard candy and suckers, hair accessories, card games – like old maid, paddle and balls, nerf balls, trucks/cars, small dolls, doll clothes, wash cloths, cute socks, balloons, gloves, beads and yarn.

2. Rhonda says:

Thank you for promoting OCC!!! I have a year round blog on OCC, Shoeboxes of Love, at klamathocc.blogspot.com and try and post savings so others can be frugal too as they create their boxes… and I have ideas and crafts and impact stories too. I shared your post… thanks again.

3. Phyllis says:

I find it amazing what NEW items are available at garage sales for 25 cents. That’s where I get all of my coloring books, pencils, Match Box cars, etc. and even socks and underwear in the package. This saves a lot of money which can go toward postage. Why wait to the last minute and buy from the dollar stores.

4. Kristi says:

We have been packing boxes for many years. Some things that we do:

- pack hard candies (never chocolate unless it’s a Tootsie Roll) in a Ziplock bag. They’ll reuse the bag too.
    - Don’t pack gummy vitamins (or any kind of medicine) as they might think they are candy and eat them all at once which could make them sick.
    - We tend to think that the kids getting these boxes only live in warmer climates, but kids in former USSR countries (where it’s cold) also receive boxes. Socks, mittens/gloves, and hats are a good idea.
    - Many churches hand out cardboard boxes from Samaritan’s Purse which are fine, but if you can afford it, use a plastic shoebox instead so the kids can use it to store things.
    - Hit the clearance section of the Toy department. Remember that something that might seem “weird” to your kids (like a Teletubbies action figure) could be the coolest thing this child ever received.
    Hope these ideas help!

5. Jodie S. says:

Our family makes boxes each year with our church. Some things that are always in our boxes are washclothes, soap, combs, toothpaste, toothbrush, hair bands for the girls, jump ropes, yo-yos,toy cars, dolls, stuffed animals, stickers, coloring books, notebooks, pencils, crayons. I shop year round in the clearance sections to make our boxes. I never include toys that need batteries because I feel bad they may never get to use it again properly when the batteries run out.

6. Barb Lehman says:

At our Church we use cardboard boxes ( we wrapped them our ourselves), plastic shoe boxes and the ones the
    occ provided. I try to think of something new each year to buy for my shoeboxes. This year I learn you send Mimi umbrella s.