13 Tips for Growing Beautiful Roses!

Rose Gardening Tips

Do you want to grow some perfect roses this year?? Check out these creative gardening tips and tricks shared right here and on The Frugal Girls Facebook Page

Sandi said: “I add used coffee grounds to the soil.  It’s supposed too make the color/scent intense.  And do not water from above.”

Heather said: “Used coffee grinds mixed in the soil works wonders!”

Vonna said: “Add epsom salt in the ground.  It’s a tip from Martha Stewart!”

Teresa said: “Water, combined with additives: iron, root stimulator, and miracle grow. Works like magic.”

Kimberly said: “I heard that dish soap suds poured around roots keep the bugs away!”

Deidre said:Bury banana peels near the base of the rose bushes. They love them!”

Leslie said: “I have never had them before and the house we moved into this past summer has 13 bushes.  They were all getting tall and lanky so I took a chance and cut them all back and when I say cut… I really cut.  They are now beautifully shaped nice and bushy and full of buds.  I do give them the banana peels, I just bury them at the base.”

Loretta said: “Horse manure!”

Lynda said: “Fireplace ashes work as a great winter fertilizer and trim the bushes as around mid March and then will bloom in May.  Cut them back again and they will bloom again in the early part of fall.”

Cory said: “When watering, don’t get the leaves wet. They will get sunburned if wet in sunlight.”

Deb said: “I like Knockout Carefree Roses.  They are a small rose that can take our extreme Midwest winters.”

Jami said: “Grow easy roses! Not the needy English tea types. Hardy Blaze climber, and we have the Fairy, no aroma but I’ve never done a thing to it except for the occasional prune and it’s great.  Also, dig a really great hole when you plant, fill with lots of super rich compost and maybe some rose fertilizer or the other things folks have listed here.”

And finally… Ellen said: “Buy some really fabulous fakes and plant in ground. Water if neighbors become suspicious.” ;)

Have YOU ever grown roses before??

Got a tip or trick… or a favorite variety to grow?  Leave a comment & share!

Easy Gardening Tips

Find more Fun Inspiration with The Frugal Girls here:

Button - The Frugal Girls on Pinterest
Button - The Frugal Girls on Instagram
Button - The Frugal Girls Email Updates
Button - The Frugal Girls on Facebook
Button - The Frugal Girls on Google+

13 Responses to 13 Tips for Growing Beautiful Roses!

1. Donna Lawson says:

Great site very informative and creative.

2. Gloria Nabhan says:

Have learned quite a bit today, thanks!

3. Maria says:

I know this is going to sound crazy but this summer my roses had tons of black spot,yellow leaves they just looked ugly and I love them .. So I had the men’s one a day vitamins and got one stuck it down by the root and wow! I was very surprised the spots were gone my roses were pretty again ..

• Pamela says:

I put the banana peels(cut up), coffee grounds, and epsom salts into my compost, along with grass clippings and other food waste. It doesn’t take long to make the most beautiful compost you ever saw! Then, I put the compost around the rose roots and they LOVE it! Also, before I mow my grass, I blow the leaves onto the grass, so when I mow I am also chopping the leaves up finely, and then I add it all to the compost. AND IT’S FREE!

4. Judy Carlos says:

Thanks for all the tips. Some of them I already do. I am always ready to learn more.

5. sharon k. says:

Knock-out roses are profuse, and beautiful, but in my opinion, they are the Sirens of the garden. They are perhaps the thorniest rose around. They are really awful to prune in the spring- even with my leather gloves it’s agony!

6. Annie says:

Is it possible to grow a rosebush from cut roses (as in a gift from a florist)?

• Adrien Love says:

Yes you can grow roses from a fresh cutting and from a bouquet of roses. I am actually doing it now,try searching google videos and place (propergate roses from a bouquet) in the search engine. The videos were very informative.

• Betty Pennel says:

Ofcourse I do that already for years. Now I have rosés from the florest in my garden and in the house!!

7. Joanne Morcom says:

If you live in Zone 3 roses to plant for great success are Parkland Roses especially Morden roses.

8. Eydie Oberbeck says:

How do you care for potted rose bushes in Middlesex County, Nj. Mine never grow back after the crazy winters. I live in an apartment on the second floor. I grow my vegetables, herbs, and roses in big pots. I adore roses. I have to buy new ones each year. So sad. Help!

9. lily spalding fynn says:

i live in Durban, Kwa Zulu Natal,South Africa and, last year, grew roses (around 50)from rose cuttings gifted by friends around the country. Both soil and climate are condusive to rose-growing.We have full sun throughout the day, even in Winter. We do, however, have moles that root around and sometimes disturb plant roots, causing the roots to dry, which in turn encourages termites which attack the stem just above ground. How do I keep these pests away from my precious roses?

10. Have a shrub rose that gave me a tiny new rose about 2 1/2 feet from parent plant . This rose bloomed same color as parent . Need to transplant. Too close to sidewalk. What size is best. And when?