15 Tips for Growing Perfect Watermelons!

Tips for Growing Perfect Watermelons from TheFrugalGirls.com

Hoping to grow the perfect watermelon this year?? Check out these creative tips and tricks shared right here and on The Frugal Girls Facebook Page

Cassandra said: “Lots of room and sun. Keep the dogs away, at least mine liked to use mine as pillows. LOL.”

Melissa said: “Do not plant them anywhere near your patio if you plan on going out on your patio this summer!!!  I learned that the hard way…”

Sheri said: “Make sure you don’t let it dry out.”

Dee said: “Lots of water.  Once a melon forms, I put either straw or newspaper under it so it isn’t sitting in the wet dirt.”

Lisa said: “Plant near air conditioner.  The condensation does wonders.”

Neita said: “Plant underneath an inch or so of hay.  It’ll stay wet, and before you know it… red sunshine happiness!”

Cindy said: “Plenty of room, because they spread like mad!  My father-in-law liked to turn his often to get nice round melons and no soft spots.”

Michelle said: “The Sugar Baby (icebox) Watermelons are small round watermelons.  Easy to grow.  Nice flavor.  Just make sure you allow room for the vines to spread.”

Jen said: “I started my seeds indoors and have some good sized sprouts already.”

Julie said: “Plant one plant in a large pot and let it grow where it wants.  My father-in-law always does this and has great results.”

Dana said: “My husband grows lots of big watermelons. Of course the deer and wild hogs eat more of them than we pull!
1) Plant them 6 ft apart in a place that will stay damp.
2) Drop 8-24-24 fertilizer in a 6 inch deep hole
3) Put a couple of inches of dirt in, then put 2 or 3 seeds in, then cover the seeds lightly.
4) Keep the ground around them loose, either disk it with the tractor or break it up with a hoe if you have a small area.
5) When they’ve vined, but have not bloomed yet, you can add some ammonium nitrate a couple of feet from the plant.”

Sarah said: “My grandpa always says that you shouldn’t keep them too wet, that they like heat and sun.   He did use straw to keep some moisture in.
He grew delicious watermelons for years, in Gaylord, KS – home of the Watermelon Day festival.  Good Luck!”

Jamie said: “Don’t plant next to cucumbers, messes with their flavors.”

Beth said: “Keep them away from squash too! We ended up with these crazy half watermelon half squash things… total waste!!”

And finally… Amanda said: “Our kiddos sit on the back porch and eat watermelon.  Several months later we noticed a vine coming up with watermelons!  We actually got to eat one from a spit out seed that landed just right and grew by itself.”

Got the Gardening Bug?  Check out more tried and true Gardening Tips + Tricks here:

22 Tips for Growing Perfect Tomatoes!

Tips for Growing Perfect Tomatoes at TheFrugalGirls.com

15 Tips for Growing Perfect Strawberries!

Easy Tips for Growing Perfect Strawberries from TheFrugalGirls.com

13 Tips for Growing Beautiful Roses!

Rose Gardening Tips

How to Keep Strawberries Fresh

How to Keep Strawberries Fresh at TheFrugalGirls.com

Find more Fun Inspiration with The Frugal Girls here:

Button - The Frugal Girls on Pinterest
Button - The Frugal Girls on Instagram
Button - The Frugal Girls Email Updates
Button - The Frugal Girls on Facebook
Button - The Frugal Girls on Google+

Do YOU have any tips or tricks for growing watermelon??

Leave a comment & share!

9 Responses to 15 Tips for Growing Perfect Watermelons!

1. Donna says:

It is impossible for watermelons to cross pollinate with cucumbers and squash. The two can be planted right next o each other. Too much wet weather will prevent the flowers from properly pollinating and the fruit will be malformed and taste bland. I have a degree in Horticulture and worked for a large seed company on the vegetable trials for a few years.

• lee A says:

Thank you that clearing that up because I just did that same thing yesterday. My thinking they are all in the dame family and they would work well with each other.

• Barbara Van Dyck says:

Actually they are all from the Cucurbitaceae family and will all cross with each other but not the first year, you have to save to seed and replant to get crazy stuff and unetible crosses. The only reason that they wont cross now if they don’t, is because they have been genetically altered or rendered sterile. Ask Monsanto.

2. Nina says:

I have to disagree that they will not cross pollinate with cucumbers. We planted 2 cucumber plants, a yellow watermelon, and a regular watermelon all in pretty close proximity. Our yellow watermelon was a pale pink and tasted just like a cucumber and our regular watermelon was a yellowish white. The seeds in them were huge as well and made them almost inedible. Now I have no degree in horticulture but I can tell you this really happened. It was our first time gardening and we were shocked.

• Savannah says:

You should contact the place where you bought your seeds. The problem with cross pollination isn’t that the present year’s fruit will be off, it’s that the next harvest will. When a flower is pollinated, the fruit begins to grow, but the genetics for that fruit are already in place. What causes the fruit to grow is the maturation of the seeds. The fruit just protects the seeds. It’s the seeds that need the genetic material from the male blooms to grow, and it’s those growing seeds that will hold the crossed genetic material. Basically, what I’m say is: it sounds like you got a batch of bad seeds. That happens sometimes, though most seed producers take better care not to let it happen. As long as you aren’t trying to save seed, you don’t need to worry about cross pollination.

• Songbird says:

You didn’t let your watermelons mature enough. I thought I was having the same problem last year until I eft them alone to ripen.

I am taking a master gardening class and can back up what all the horticulturist are saying. The fruit is a byproduct of the seed. The seed is a result of pollination. So the fruit you get is not a result of that years pollination. The ant you get next year and it’s fruit would be. Hope that makes sense.

• Teresa Clark says:

I have been gardening for 20 years and I have always planted cucumbers and watermelon together, no issues. I find it strange that cross pollination happened. Heirloom vegetables are the best.

3. We had some plants come up by themselves recently and some are right next to the cucumbers! I will be interested to see if it does have any influence on the fruit.

4. Martha says:

I put black plastic under my plants and have always had good melons.