Homemade Glass Cleaner Recipe

DIY Glass Cleaner

Like it?  Pin it!

Who needs Windex when you’ve got this easy recipe for Homemade Glass Cleaner?!? ;)

Homemade Cleaning Solutions are so easy to make, and a simple way to save BIG!

Recently frugal friends Priscilla {who owns her own cleaning company}, Gaye, and Amanda shared their Homemade Glass Cleaner recipes with me on The Frugal Girls Facebook page!

Homemade Glass Cleaner is quick to make, and so thrifty!!

• 1 cup Water
  • 1/4 cup White Vinegar
  • 2 to 3 drops Dawn Dish Soap
  • Empty Spray Bottle

Combine water, white vinegar, and dawn dish soap in an empty spray bottle, and… that’s it!  You’ve just made Homemade Glass Cleaner!

I have to admit, I am now completely hooked on homemade glass cleaner!  It leaves the windows streak-free, and cleans those smudgy fingerprints from my little guys {who are magnetically attracted to dirt, sand, etc}

It works so well ~ I love it!!  {I also really love the price!} ;)

Got a thrifty tip??

Leave a comment & share!!

BIG List of Homemade Cleaners and Tips from TheFrugalGirls.com

54 Responses to Homemade Glass Cleaner Recipe

1. Missy says:

Thanks for this tip! I really needed it just a couple of days ago when I was washing my dining room windows. I will be sure to use this recipe next time.

• Ruth says:

I use just the vinegar and water in a spray bottle. Have it in the car all the time. My granddaughter and friend cleaned my car for me today and came in and got some more, it had to work!!

2. peg kelly jackson says:

My brother gave me a tip for cleaning windows. Take some pepsi or coke, pour over a clean rag,wring out the rag,wipe down the window. spray glass cleaner on the windows and wipe with a paper towel. Window will be streak free. Honestly it does work.He even usus this on his car windows.

3. Kasee says:

Even cheaper tip for ya…skip the glass cleaner! At the Dollar Tree they have a 2-pack of a microfiber type cloth. I get one wet and use the other dry. Wipe down your windows, mirrors, or any glass surface with the wet, then wipe with the dry. Leaves it streak free!! These rags are washable too!! So you spend $1 and then use them over and over =) If you don’t have Dollar Tree in your area then check out other dollar stores…even if you end up spending just a little more its worth it for the savings of glass cleaner.

• Kelly says:

I use the same thing. Thought I was the only one. Works great!

• Becca says:

I have done this for some time. I use a dry microfiber dish towel and a wet dishrag. Wipe the window with the wet dishrag and the wipe dry with the dish towel. I was totally amazed when I first tried it.

• sissy says:

You can also use these on your swifter. I do this on my hardwood and laminate floors. I keep these seperate from my others for my floors…but yes I wash them and just reuse!

• judy says:

I just tried this an am amazed how well this works. Thanks so much for this tip.

4. Jamaica says:

I have a tip on dish soap. When you empty a bottle of Dawn dish soap save the bottle. With a new bottle take and pour about 8 tbsp of soap into the empty bottle and fill it up it water. It will look watered down but it is still effective as the regular strength. This will also work with any other kind of dish soap as long as the bottle says that it is concentrated.

5. Kristi says:

Can it be any dish soap, or is dawn the only one that it works with? I know Dawn has some unique cleaning features since that’s what they asked for to help clean up the oil spill….

• Debbie U says:

I worked for a condominium cleaning, and they used Palmolive soap for almost everything. They used it on a green scrubby and scrubbed away, wiped down with wet cloth, and dried with dry cloth. They also squirted some Palmolive, little without the vinegar, in a squirt bottle filled with water. I imagine if it cuts grease, it will work.

6. jodi says:

THANK YOU!!! I’ve been needing glass cleaner & been to cheap to go buy it :)
    This made my day!!

7. Abby says:

I have a SUPER homemadetile grout cleaner recipe! This will make your tile grout look like new!! Combine 1 Tbl Borax, 2 Tbl baking soda and 1 Tbl water to make a paste. Scrub the paste into the tile grout using a toothbrush to remove the dirt. Wipe clean with water. I have a few other cleaning tips my blog http://anaeffort.blogspot.com
    Thanks!

• Carrie Neuhaus says:

Thank you so much for this recipe! I was about to the point of ripping the tile in my bathroom up! I wiil be trying this tomorrw! Thanks!!

8. Shelly says:

home made dishwashing soap..

2 cups of Borax
    2 cups of Arm &Hammer super Washing soda

MIX together, and put it in a container (i reuse the cardboard box with the spout )

use about 1 1/2 tablespoons per load..
    Also use Vinegar as the rinsing aide :o)

9. Amanda says:

White Vinegar is great for cleaning your car’s wiper blades. Just dampen a rag with the vinegar and rub it down the blades.

10. DIANE BUESCHER says:

We cleaned outside windows this week-end and used the same recipe. We put the concoction in a big flat rubbermaid container, soaked a window washer applicator thing and started washing. This stuff worked great!

11. Janice says:

I save a lot of money each year by recycling Christmas cards. At the end of the season I take the cards I received and I cut the cover off to make postcards, assuming that there is no writing on the inside left (back of the picture). Cut them down to 4×6 if they are larger. Simply address them as postcards next year. You save on postage and you save on the cost of the cards! Sometimes I even buy cards at the Dollar Tree and do the same thing. Even though the cards may be new, I’m saving on postage.

• Daphne says:

I LOVE this idea! I always feel bad for tossing/recycling old cards but half the time they never have anything written inside but the name! What a great idea!

• Debbie U says:

I also take my favorite old Christmas cards, punch a hole in it and use it over and over each year for gift tags. Slip the ribbon through the punched hole.. If the person lives in your home, its much easier to save them and use year after year. If they don’t live at home, its an idea passed on to them.

12. Margaret Swank says:

We have well water and have to filter out the rust. However, the water still leaves a white film on my glasses after the dishwasher cycle.
    My husband googled and got this wonderful tip for making glasses and everything else come out sparkling clean. Take a cup or small bowl, pour 1/4 c white vinegar and let it go through the wash/rinse cycle. Magic happens!!

13. Margaret Swank says:

I forgot to add, make sure the cup or bowl is sitting upright in the bottom rack of your dishwasher. The vinegar mixes with the water, and will neutralize anything that will make dishes look dull. Hope this helps.

14. Christina Lowe says:

I use this cleaner to clean everything but windows. The recipe make 1 gallon.
    In a gallon container mix:
    16 oz. rubbing alcohol
    1/4 cup ammonia
    1 tablespoon dish soap(add after the water)
    water to fill

It works great, and disinfects.

• Deb says:

This sounds great if it’s SAFE to mix ammonia and alcohol…you know how we’re cautioned not to mix chemical because of the potential for toxic fumes that can be produced. Any input on this? Thanks!

15. Maureen says:

I’m wondering if you can use this recipe on granite surfaces, too?

• Holly says:

you should NEVER use Vinegar or anything acidic cleaner on a granite surface! because acids will cause etching in the surface, which are tiny lines and fissures. Etching mars the surface of granite. Since vinegar is a strong acid, you want to leave it on the shelf when choosing a cleaner for your granite. It will clean and disinfect the surface, but it can also mar the finish permanently.

use rubbing alcohol, which isn’t acidic and will clean and disinfect granite surfaces, leaving them grime-free and shiny. You can also use a few drops of dish detergent and water. You could even pre-make a custom granite cleaning solution, suggests the website HouseCleaningTips.com: combine 1/4 cup of isopropyl rubbing alcohol, 1 tsp. or so of dish washing detergent, and enough water to fill a quart-sized spray bottle.

16. claudette says:

Recently I accidentally discovered a way to keep bathroom mirrors clean. Use old fashioned white foan shaving cream. Spread a thin coating of shaving cream over the mirror and wipe off with clean rag. My mirror doesn’t get steamed up or smeared for weeks.

• Shanon Banks says:

You can also use shaving cream to keep your car windows from fogging over. You take shaving cream and apply it to the inside of your car windows and then wipe them clean. Shaving cream has many of the same components as defogging products you can buy at the store, only it’s a lot cheaper. I don’t remember where I heard about doing this, but it’s suppose to be great!

• Linda says:

the shaving cream….is that like the one that comes in the red and white striped can? barbosol and should it be without moisturrizers?

• Ruth says:

I tried this yesterday and when I showered this morning, it didn’t work…..my 2 mirrors were just as steamed up as if I didn’t do anything. I used Dollar Store moisturizing shave cream…..is that why? and I had to rinse out my cloth several times to continue wiping off the shave cream, which made the cloth damp. any ideas?

• Lisa says:

Need to ask a car expert if this will affect the windows of a car. I was warned to not use regular window cleaner on vehicles because it disintegrates the chemicals in the glass.

• Debbie U says:

This is an old recipe, but thanks for the reminder I had forgotten about!

17. Dagmar says:

My Dog playes with tennis balls and when they get messy i wash them in a mesh bag and dry them and we have new tennis balls and the dog has fun . Thanks

18. Love this and can’t wait to try it! I’ve made my own laundry soap, fabric softener and my own dishwasher detergent and had great results with all! Now I’m ready to move on to other homemade cleaning ingredients! Great posting!

19. Daphne says:

I just tried your glass cleaner and it worked great! We have dogs (and kids) that get their nose and fingerprints all over our windows. This made them look great and the prints came off easier with this then Windex!

20. Paulette says: