Tips to Save Money on Maternity Clothes!

Tips to Save Money on Maternity Clothes from TheFrugalGirls.com

I received the following question from frugal friend Loni on The Frugal Girls Facebook page

“We’re starting to shop for maternity clothes!  Do you have any frugal maternity clothes ideas?  I’ll be trying to see if I can score some deals on clearance and also checking the Goodwill.  Any other ideas??”

Have you found any ways to find sweet deals on Maternity Clothes?

Leave a comment and share!

Free Belly Bands

50 Responses to Tips to Save Money on Maternity Clothes!

1. Stefani B says:

I bought mine slightly used through Savers and Goodwill. I also borrowed from friends. I wasn’t willing to pay big money for something I wouldn’t wear for very long.

2. Jenny says:

There is a children’s consignment shop in my town that I love, and they have a room for maternity. You could look for something like that where you are. Also, wear a belly band and stretch the timing you have to wear your non-maternity jeans. Even if you can’t button them, this will cover the zipper/button area for quite some time, and is partially elastic so you don’t have to worry about your pants going south!

3. nikki dennis says:

Check some comsigment/ childrens resale shops. Sometimes they carry some

4. Sara D. says:

I love garage sales! (Although we are getting out of that season.) Craiglist is another place to look. The thing that help me the most was a belly band that you can get either from Target or Motherhood. It makes your regular pant size work a little longer into your pregnancy by being able to unbutton and unzip them. The belly band goes over them and holds them up. Also great for after you have the baby and ready to be out of maternity pants but your regular pants don’t quite fit yet. I will be looking forward to reading other people’s frugal ideas for maternity clothes. :)

5. Laura says:

A lot of children’s consignment shops also have maternity clothes. Check them out now before the baby is here.

6. Leslie Pearson says:

Check out Craigslist………I always see them on there.

7. Becky says:

I got all of my maternity clothes from the thrift store (salvation army, value world, etc), ebay, craigslist, and from local baby consignment shops. Call around to the local baby consignment shops in your area to see which ones carry maternity also. I’ve even seen people post maternity clothes on freecycle…a great way to get them free!

8. Jill says:

I got some off Ebay … you can look for “maternity lots.” Watch out though, you have to be picky since shipping can be a lot too. I would also buy “normal” clothes in just a bigger size. There are styles out there now that are more gathered at the top and bigger around the belly so they stretch without being “maternity.” That way after the baby is born you feel like you’re wearing “normal” clothes (especially if you are nursing). I found some good deals at Ross too. :)

9. Jill Williams says:

A few thoughts:
    1. You wouldn’t believe the amount of maternity clothes on clearance racks in stores at any given time!
    2. Spread the word that you’re looking and have people call you when they see any deals!
    3. Ask friends and family if they have any they would be willing to part with.
    4. Ebay is another GREAT resource. Since new clothes are only worn about 4-5 months MAX of a pregnancy, they’re generally in really good shape!
    5. My mom also suggests using your own pants, undo them and literally sew a spandex panel from one side to the other to allow for stretching!

Happy pregnancy!! ;)

10. Nat says:

I have found great deals at Old Navy – they have a great variety of maternity clothes and if you get their e-mails you will get some great deals, this past weekend they have 50% of the clearance racks, so I scored pants for 4.99 when regular price were $32.50.

11. Shelbi says:

I LOVE ebay for cheap maternity clothes! I got 2 pairs of motherhood secret panel shorts for 99 cents plus shipping! You can really get some bargains!

12. Sandi says:

I’m not sure what your size is, but I shopped exclusively at Lane Bryant. Much better quality at a better price. (I started out at 14 and probably ended up at 22?) Much easier to give away or even use afterwards. I also found that Lane Bryant was a great place to buy bras during this time! I had such a fabulous fitter that my purchase lasted all the way through my pregnancy! Plus you get lots of great $ off coupons, so I really made out pretty well! Towards the end, I also bought tops at Lands End in the plus department. I was able to wear my regular pants all the way through using a belly band.

Another trick is to buy tops labeled “tunic.” By definition, these tops are longer and will last you longer (and thus probably why I was able to wear my regular pants all through my pregnancy. If anyone saw what was going on underneath!!)

13. Jodi says:

I do what a lot of others are saying with garage sales, friends and thrift stores, but I also look on clearance racks. Especially places like Kholes and Old Navy where I may have a coupon to go with it. Some of the clearance prices are more than what I would pay too, so you need to dig for those that are true clearnace prices!!! And I loved the belly band, even after the baby when I was over the idea of maternity clothes!!!

14. Jori says:

Wear your hubby’s til you can’t anymore! LOL

With my first two, I had very little “maternity” stuff. I wore my hubby’s shirts and bought maternity pants and got stuff at the thrift shop that was just “big.” With my last one, I got on ebay and got like 20 shirts for the price of two new ones (including shipping!) There are some great deals on ebay but you have to LOOK for them.

15. Stephanie says:

Target Clearance Racks… Always good finds in there… :)

16. MoniqueSalmond says:

My mom actually just bought me a pair of $3 full panel maternity pants from the swapmeet they are the best! My other maternity pants I bought from Ross at $9.99 each! I have also enjoyed buying from the plus size section because they are still stylish and give me the comfort of letting my belly just sit! Also another good tip is leggings and tunics! Oh and my new life saver! CROCS! Very comfortable and cheap. I went to the Crocs outlet and bought 2 pairs for $14! They have the wideset selection of heels and flats… Very cute and cheap (GO OUTLET) Plus with the winter months on us we can always just bust out the sweat pants. My quick fix to making sweats an out side outfit I pair it with some nice clean shoes and pony tail sunglasses and jean jacket! Kinda pulls it all together! Good luck Mommies and above all STAY COMFORTABLE!

17. Paige says:

In addition to the other great ideas here, I liked a tutorial I found for converting a pair of jeans or a skirt, into a jean skirt. Here’s the tutorial below, but when I searched it on google I saw a lot of other fun looking ideas you can make yourself. The thing about this skirt is it’s from used materials you might already have, i.e. free!

18. tobelina says:

Thrift stores, consignment shops, garage sales, Craiglist and . . .
    EBAY! Lots of moms sell their gently used maternity stuff off in a big lot – so you can get a whole wardrobe of good basics all in similar/same sizes.

19. thomasina says:

shop at ross!! i’m pregnant right now also, and i got maternity pants for $12.99 and shirts for around $6-$10!

20. Amy says:

In addition to consignment shops, check for seasonal consignment sales in your area. There is usually a great deal of inventory, as these are 3-5 day events in large venues. You can not only find great maternity items, but also stock up on baby equipment, too.