Moving Tip: How to Safely Pack and Move Plates

Like it?  Pin it!

Planning a move??   Our family recently moved, and with a big move comes a whole lot of packing, so I put this simple moving tip to use from frugal friend Kendra!

To help your plates arrive safely when moving, simply purchase a pack of foam plates… check your local dollar store!

Then… place a foam plate between each of your plates…

You’ll want to wrap and pad in addition to this, but this simple trick will help to keep your plates from clinking and clanking around during the move! ;)

How easy is that?!?

More Moving Tips from your Frugal Friends!

Got a Moving Tip or Trick??

Leave a comment and share!

25 Responses to Moving Tip: How to Safely Pack and Move Plates

1. Callee S. says:

what a great idea…i usually use towels that way i’m packing them and keeping my plates safe :D

2. Jessica S. says:

Love the fiestaware… we have 12 different colors, and I love them so much! and we get compliments on them all the time… my 2 yr. old son now likes to pick out which color he can use for a meal.

• Heidi says:

Thanks, Jessica! I am an in love with Fiestaware too… the fun colors just make me happy! {I found it on a crazy good sale at Kohl’s a few years ago!} ;)

3. Linda says:

I did this the last time I moved and it worked great! Another thing I like to do (sorry if it has already been mentioned) is use socks for packing delicate glassware. I still use other packing in the box as well.

4. Pam says:

Very cool! Thanks for sharing.

5. Rapunzel says:

This is one of those so painfully easy and smart ideas that you just NEVER think of! Thanks! Totally pinning it!

6. Theresa says:

This really does work great! I have moved my dishes many time with this packing method. Works good for bowls as well.

7. jennifer says:

Gorgeous fiestaware, and great tip!

8. Jeanetta says:

I did this when I made an international move and everything came though perfectly.

9. erica says:

that’s an interesting tip…another thing to do, once you have your dishes packed and you’re going to be putting them in a box, place the plates on their side like you’re putting books on a bookshelf (use this trick for plates and bowls only). tightly pack the box to prevent any “wiggle room” and go in tiers in the box, in between the tiers, add some of the packing paper..once you get to cups you have them setting upright.

10. Liz Johnson says:

This is awesome! I’m a Realtor (here in AZ!) and am always looking for great packing tips for my clients. Thank you!

• Mary says:

you might want to refer your clients to YouTube–there are several very good videos on packing china, etc which were done by moving companies, presumably for their employees. I searched under ‘packing china’. I recently moved cross country and did my own packing, with movers loading their van and I did not have any cracking or breakage, although the van was stacked floor to ceiling with furniture and boxes. Our mover referred us to a local company that sells boxes and packing paper very reasonably [interestingly, Home Depot and Lowes had competitive prices for the standard size boxes].

11. Annette Baber says:

I’ll be glad I pinned this someday! Thank you for the tip!:)

12. Larissa says:

Heidi,
    We just moved this summer too. Not as far as you though! I never would have thought of foam plates!!! I did use towels and washcloths! Which worked well for our small move. We were even so blessed as to have plate packing sleeves to put our china in! (Never would have purchased it myself, but it was a pass it on moving gift! What a blessing!)

Your “new” old house looks fabulous! Enjoy all the new memories! :)

13. Lynne says:

I just moved from Charleston, SC to New Mexico. 6×12 U-haul trailer pulled by my Durango. Packed myself in U-haul boxes. Bought them in packs of 15 – makes them cheaper. U-Haul gives free month of storage when you get there. My 3 dogs stayed in hotels with me the whole way. Cheapest way to go. Plants? I would give to neighbors. I did give away a few things that didn’t fit. Used discount movers on both ends to load and unload trailer. Thought this might help. Cost of trailer: 500 bucks for 6 days.

14. Jessica says:

Great tip! Something we did when we moved was to wrap them in dishtowels and put them in a cooler. We have 2 hard-sided coolers, i figured we have to move them anyways might as well put stuff in them. Everything made it in one piece!

15. lynn b says:

My mom was a hoarder. I don’t have to purchase foam plates to do this—–merely use some of the stuff that is already on hand. If it lasts that long, I won:t have to worry about unpacking it in my lifetime and it will be perfectly safe forever! Thanks ya’ll!!!

16. Vivian Martin says:

Handy tip… For the naysayers, I would suggest the 3 R’s – Reduce, reuse, recycle. Instead of throwing these in landfill, store for re-use. At the end of their life, they can go to a recycler. Many are now taking clean styrofoam.

17. Sean says:

Definitely some great ideas. Keep in mind how you put your dishes into the moving boxes as well. Standing your plates on edge actually makes them stronger and less likely to break than just laying them flat.

18. tish applegate says:

Great idea. Better than wrapping in newspaper.

19. Kathy says:

Don’t know if this will help anyone, but while trying to figure away to wrap up some large platters, we were having delivered pizza. The large pizza box is a prefect fit for large platters and so is the medium and small ones.

20. Rosa says:

If you use the great idea of using plastic plates between your regular plates .when you get to your new home you can use the plastic plates for serving your meals in the next few meals while your getting settled .. You have two purposes .