How to Make *Cute* Hair Clips for Babies and Little Girls!

Hair Clips

Pin It Post Buttons
I love cute hair clips for babies and little girls ~ and not only are they adorable… they’re also super-thrifty and a cinch to make!

Make some for your baby or little girl, or give some as thrifty gifts!

This fun project idea comes from my friend Joli!  These are thrifty, quick-to-make, and seriously cute!

• Ribbon {I found these spools in a $1.00 bin at Michael’s} ~ I use 3/8″ ribbon, but you can also experiment with different widths!  5/8″ would work, too!

• Hair Clips {I found these at Sally Beauty ~ ‘Salon Care Metal Clips’}   I bought a box of 100 for $5.39, so they worked out to just 5 cents each!!  Or… they are also available on Amazon.

• Jewels or Buttons {can be found at any craft store}
  • Hot Glue Gun

• Depending on the size of your clip, measure out the amount of ribbon you’ll need to cover both the inside and outside of the clip.  For the clips I used, I needed just under 7 inches…

• Now, go grab your glue gun, and let’s get started!
  • I use the hot setting on my glue gun.  The lower temperature glue won’t work well, so make sure it’s hot… but no burning fingers, okay?? ;)

• Begin by gluing the ribbon to the lower inside portion of the clip.  Pinch the clip open while gluing, and be careful to keep the ribbon straight!

• Then, add some more glue to the ribbon, and wrap it around to the bottom side of the clip.  Make a nice crease at the point of the clip.

• There you go ~ we’re almost half way there!

• Add some hot glue on the inside of the clasp, and glue ribbon.

• Then, add hot glue to the remaining amount of ribbon.  Pinch clasp, and wrap all the way around and under.  Again, make a nice crease at the point.

• It should look a little something like this…

• Good job… you did it! Wasn’t that easy??

• Now… you can leave these clips as is, or you can jazz them up even more with some fun jewels or buttons!  Make sure the jewels or buttons are glued well and fastened tightly!

• Have fun choosing colors and accessories to bejewel them with!  ;)

• This is definitely a quick project, and these make great thrifty gifts, too!

How Much Did it Cost?

• Hair Clips {Box of 100 for $5.39 at Sally Beauty Supply} = 5 cents each!  Or… they are also available on Amazon.
  • Ribbon {$1.00 for 3 yd. spool at Michael’s}
  • Jewels {$2.99 for pack of 55 at Michael’s}
  • Total Cost per clip: About 17 cents!!

More Easy Crafty Projects
Fun Ribbon Storage Ideas
How to Make Flower Headbands

Photobucket

47 Responses to How to Make *Cute* Hair Clips for Babies and Little Girls!

1. shawnna says:

Thanks so much! This will be a great christmas gift for my neice!!

• cierra says:

i am makeing these for a garage sale and i added a flower and cliped it to a head band i hope they will be sellers:)

• Susan says:

I’d love to know how they sold and how much you sold them for. I was thinking of making and selling some at our next garage sale, too.

2. Kate says:

My daughter & I have been making clips like these for years! They are so much fun! We also make big floppy bows for her hair too, so fun!!!!

• maggie says:

these are very cute. i have just recently started to make bows for my daughter, nieces, classmates, and friends :) i make korker bows as well as another kind-not sure if they have a name….

3. Marta says:

WOW!!! Love this!! Totally gonna do this!

4. shonte says:

I see people making these on etsy and charging $5 for some of them!! Awesome awesome tip! Cant wait to try it. Anyone know how to make other clips (korkers or characters to glue on the clips)?

5. Debbie says:

You can also add a non-slip grip to them real easy too. You go to the Dollar tree and buy those spongey drawer mats. Cut them the size of the clip and they won’t fall out of fine hair.

6. Kim T says:

love the idea of making these non-slip! thank you for all the crafty idea’s (and the comments are awesome also!)

7. Brandy says:

You can make the korker ribbons by wrapping your ribbon around a thin pencil or rod and securing at the ends with a dab of glue. Soak it in or spray it with fabric stiffener. When it dries, remove the ribbon from the rod and cut the ends off to remove traces of glue.

8. Heather says:

This website has the instructions for the korker clips. A little more work, but sooo cute!!

9. Christy M says:

You can do much better on the clips than at Sally’s. I buy mine in bulk online and they equal out to be about $.10 per clip. This is a great site for hair bow hardware! http://www.hairbowcenter.com/
    I also make the woven ribbon head bands and save big time by buying here. In micheal’s the 1” head bands are 2.99 a piece. Here, you get 12 for $3.36. Thats a savings of about $2.70!!

10. Christy M says:

opps sorry lol I didnt see your pricing on the bulk sallys clips. I was going by what you pay in store. :)

11. Catrina says:

OMG! Thank you SO much for posting this very simple yutorial WITH pictures. I’ve been looking EVERYWHERE for something this simple and step-by-step!

12. Kristina says:

You can also add a bit of hot glue for non-slip-grip. I’ve been making clips and bows since my daughter was born. I also find that it works better if you don’ cover the bottom part of the clip entirely, the clip will slip better into hair. I cover these clips and then make bows for them. You can add flowers as well.

13. Elizabeth says:

I make TONS of these for my daughters and our friends (recently, coworkers have started “ordering”…and paying me well for them considering the price and time I put in). So easy, and so super cute.

I start at the opposite end (the top inside part, and stop about half way down the bottom side, so that the bottom end is exposed. It makes it easier to get in and out. I also make them non-slip and it’s WONDERFUL for baby & toddler hair. My only caution is to make sure you check that the jewel you use is SECURELY on the clip every time you use it; they ARE CHOKING HAZARDS!!

14. GAhome2mom says:

Thanks for posting this wonderful tutorial. I already purchased the clips before viewing your tutorial. I would like to purchase more ribbons and extras. The clips are a great value at $5.39. :) Great job!

15. Heather says:

These are so cute!!! LOVE them!! I was just at Michael’s today. Shoot! :^)

16. Angela says:

Thanks for sharing… I’ve made a couple, but htis gives me more ideas! : )

17. Amanda says:

THOSE ARE SO CUTE!!! I have two daughters with long and those would looks so cute. Plus they will love the jewels:) Keep up the great ideas. love um!

18. Stacy B says:

My daughter and I made these this weekend.. Well I made it and she picked out the embellishments to put on. Thank you so much for posting this they are so cute and she is so proud of them because “we” made them

19. Jacque says:

You guys are great!! thanks for all your advised..