Homemade Microwave Popcorn Recipe!

Homemade Microwave Popcorn Recipes

Homemade Microwave Popcorn??

Yep ~ it can be done, and you’ll love this easy {$$-savin’} Popcorn Recipe!

• 1/3 cup Popping Corn
  • 1 brown Paper Bag {lunch sack size}
  • 1 piece of Tape
  • Salt {optional}
  • Melted Butter {optional… and delicious!}

Pour popping corn into brown paper bag…
{and just so ya know… it took a couple of tries to get this shot,
with one hand pouring, and the other hand taking the picture!
Let’s just say… there was popcorn everywhere!} ;)

Fold end of bag over, and tape shut.

• Place in microwave, and lay bag flat.   Stop once there is approximately 5 seconds between pops. {you’ll just have to experiment with this part, and see what works best with your microwave}.
  • Transfer to a bowl and eat as is or sprinkle with salt. Now, if you’re really living it up, go ahead and top this with some drizzled butter… mmm…
  • Enjoy!!

Homemade Microwave Popcorn Trick from TheFrugalGirls.comPin It Buttons

Simply Salsa Recipe {E-Z Homemade Salsa!}
Oh-So-Cute Ice Cream Cupcake Cones Recipe
Gooey Blueberry Angel Food Cake Recipe!

Comments

• Theresa says

I make kettle corn all the time!! Put 3 kernels in a pot on the stove. Just cover the kernels with canola oil. Once they have popped the oil is hot enough. Pour 1/3 cup sugar in and 1/2 cup kernels in. Slide pot back and forth until the popping has slowed down. Dump into a bowl and sprinkle with salt. Mix to coat evenly and then just wait a couple of minutes for it to cool and harden. Enjoy!!!!!!!!

• Bert in Rice says

Insert text to read as follows:

“1/2 cup kernels in. Cover the pot. Hold the cover in place with one hand while sliding the pot back and forth…”

That’s how we made popcorn in the olden days before microwaves.

• says

Yes I love your idea.This is how we popped pop corn all the time when i was growing up.I now have a glass range top and tried it but it scratched it from moving it back & forth.I wish i had a gas stove. That pop corn is the best.
        Nancy

• Theresa says

Nancy,
          I too have a glass range, and it does not get scratched when I make this. Maybe if you try a different pot, you could be successful. It is a shame if you are not able to make this. Best of luck!!

• Jackie says

I use a whirley pop to make my popcorn. I have a glass top stove as well. It gives the fresh made flavor and you don’t slide it back and forth on the stove top! Love my Whirley Pop!

• kyle says

A whirley pop is a pan with a lid that has a crank attached through it, so you can turn the crank and it stirs the popcorn inside as it pops. They’re nothing new, though this brand name may be. My grandparents had one from years ago.

• becky says

I too scratched up my glass stove top doing it the old fashioned way. I thought I read a warning about aluminum on a glass stove top. I’m so anxious to use my whirley pop but afraid to ruin either the popper or the stove. Anyone know why this warning exists?

1. Me and my boys says

Genius! This is one of those things that makes you slap yourself in the head and say "Why didn't I think of that?" =)
    Tammy

2. Heidi @ The Frugal Girls! says

The kettle corn flavor comes from combining salt and sugar. You could certainly try topping with both and see if that solves your kettle corn cravings! :)

3. Lorraine says

I eat popcorn practically every night. This is a great INEXPENSIVE way to enjoy my favorite snack. Thanks for the great recipe!!!!!
    lorrainejohnsis(at)yahoo(dot)com

4. Beth says

I saw this a while back some where on the internet and have been doing making popcorn this way ever since! I don't buy the microwavable stuff anymore. This taste SO much better and it's much more cheaper :)

5. jennymartin116 says

What a wonderful post! I cannot wait to try this at home–my kids LOVE popcorn, and I hate to buy the expensive not healthy microwave popcorn! Thanks so much!

6. Christy says

Way back in the stone age when microwaves were brand new this is how we made our popcorn! I forget why we stopped, I never taped the bag shut – maybe that is why! Popcorn all over the place.

7. Brenda says

We have been making this exact recipe for a couple of years now, obviously loving it!
    It's so much healthier, and now I can hardly eat theater popcorn…too salty and way too much butter. When we do splurge and go to a movie I just make this and put it in my purse.

8. Sonya says

I discovered this method of making popcorn a few months ago, so now this is one of the options for a snack for my 8 yr olds to take to school. There is a microwave in their cafeteria, so they are able to pop some popcorn and snack away, and it is a cheap option for me.

9. Kandi says

Awesome. I provide healthier snacks for a wrestling team at least 2x a week – they love popcorn! This will really make a difference in my grocery bill. Thank you!!

10. Rhonda says

We did this at work and really enjoyed it. One lady said she tried it at home with a twist tie instead of tape and set the bag on fire from the metal inside the twist tie!

11. Jane says

Wow, can’t wait to try this later with the kids. They will love being part of the process.

Silly question- how much popping corn do you put in?

12. heather says

I have done this before but I have stapled the bag shut and it didn’t cause a problem with the staple being made of metal.

13. says

Great idea, can’t believe I never thought of it. Speaking of things starting on fire in the microwave, A bread bag will start on fire. My child defrosted a whole loaf of bread in there, I didnt know it, I said, “What is on fire!”

14. Lisa says

No, to do kettle corn you add the sugar and salt to the bag before popping it. Part of what makes Kettle corn so good is the sugar carmalizes on the corn so it must be cooked on it.

• lauri says

What if you used Splenda or Sweet n low? My Mom recently moved back in with me and popcorn is her favorite snack. She needs to start her diet and loves the sweets, but I don’t want to add the calories. Kettle corn would be the perfect sweet and salty snack if I could figure out a low cal way to do it.

My grocery bill has skyrocketed since she came, so this will help.

15. Isabel says

Thank you so much for sharing, this is such an awesome idea! I hate my popcorn popper because it sets off my smoke alarm! I will have to do this when I make caramel popcorn…Also, my kids will eat the popcorn without butter which is better for them anyway! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!

16. says

Seriously? Why has this not popped into my head? ;) And to think of all that $$ wasted on microwave popcorn that smells like feet while it’s cooking. Never again!
    Thanks so much for sharing this.

17. KJ says

I’ve always said you should be able to take regular kernels and pop them in a microwave. I wonder why I didn’t try this on my own, and figure it all out years ago… Well, I’m gonna try it now! At least I know it WILL WORK!

18. Jennifer says

Add flavors like a tablespoon of sugar for kettle corn or cayenne pepper, garlic salt, rosemary…whatever you want!

19. Angela says

Thanks for sharing I would have never thought of this. This would be perfect for Movie Nite in the Park, giving each family memeber their own bag. We have a Whirly-pop which I love how easy & traditional that is, but every so often I give in to the Homestyle Microwave popcorn when I don’t feel like cleaning up the mess, so this is a great option to paying $5 for ONLY 3 bags, that last maybe a week. : )

20. Angie says

Great idea. I had a microwave popper years ago but kept having to buy the little inserts for the bottom. I LURVE popcorn! :D

• says

When you say you added cinnamon and sugar, did you add it before or after popping?? I have some cinnamon sugar in my pantry and that sounds SO GOOD!!

21. Annie says

Thank you TONS for this tip! My family loves popcorn, but we rarely have it, well because I refuse to buy it! Wow was it good!! :)

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!! Such a simple thing, but I am glad you shared!

22. Catherine says

LOVE LOVE LOVE this recipe. Cannot stop eating popcorn now! I mist mine with Pam spray and have gone crazy with the seasoning options! Thank you Frugal Girls!

23. Susan says

This is super–apparently I am not the only hard-core popcorn freak out there!! I like the ideas to flavor it also–we put garlic powder normally, but I am thinking about maybe trying Splenda-type substitute with cinnamon on it…mmmm…we’ll see…

24. Jill says

If you don’t have a popcorn feature on your microwave how long would you set the time for and would it be on high?

25. Oscarmama says

You don’t even need to waste a paper bag. I pop about 1/3 a cup, dry, in my Pyrex lidded 2qt casserole dish. It takes about 3:45 in my microwave, but YMMV. Awesome, cheap, healthy AND ecofriendly.

• heather says

I use a dish also. Be sure it is pyrex or other trusted brand. I tried it with a random glass dish and it cracked. Not good! But I have never had any issues with my pyrex dish. I love it because it is ecofriendly. ;-)

26. Sue says

OK-This sounds terrific and I am definitely going to try it. But here’s a question for you (and probably a dumb one, at that). Does anyone think you could do kettle corn with artificial sweetener? Has anyone tried?

27. wendy says

I don’t use the tape, and I use Mazola silicone free butter flavor spray to make the popcorn a little sticky and hold the flavored salts I like to use, like Pop Seasons (they have a ton of flavors, my current fav, chili lime). It’s almost a ridiculously low calorie snack and high in fiber.

28. Alicia says

I used to make popcorn this way for years, but when we moved we got a small microwave and no matter how I’ve tried it, I can not get it to work in my small microwave :( It always burns or doesn’t pop at all. Just be careful if you have a small microwave.

29. sue hulme says

I tried this last month. was a success and is such a savings. I plan on using it in our RV trips…saves one less packing thing. thanks for the tip!

30. Katie says

I had no idea you could pop this is the microwave. I always use this popcorn but use oil and a pot. i have been wanted to buy an air popper so i could eliminate the oil but now i don’t have to thanks!

31. Jeanette says

Love, love, love doing this! One of our favorite flavors is a little bit of parmesan cheese. Mmmm – so good!

32. lea says

they also used to make a really cool plastic bowl with a vented, screw on lid.. it’s for making popcorn in the microwave. you put the oil and the popcorn in it and cook just like any other microwave popcorn. then you take the lid off and eat it out of the bowl.. mine cracked one day and i threw it out. i really should get another one and quit buying already prepared microwave popcorn.:) i as sure you could do the butter and sugar and salt thing and make a kettle corn in it as well. it was great! that’s it… going to the dreaded wally world to see if they have them still! :)

33. Lynn says

Alton Brown tested the science, and determined you can hold the bag shut with two staples and they won’t affect your microwave. He does put in some oil, though. I add cayenne pepper and sugar for a spicy-sweet popcorn. I’ve been told to try drizzling on unrefined coconut oil for an awesome taste, but haven’t tried it!

34. Shirleyann says

Hi, someone mentioned they wanted to make a kettle corn version; well there is a product called Kernel Season’s Popcorn Seasoning. It comes in a variety of flavors such as: Kettle Corn, White Cheddar, Nacho Cheese,and of course Butter flavor. I use it all the time, my favorite is white cheddar :D You can find it at Walmart. Happy Crunching!

35. Michelle says

LOVE this idea…just made it with my daughter as an “Earth Day Friendly” snack. Used the popcorn setting on the microwave and it was perfect. Used the bag instead of a bowl and just added some seasoning to the bag…YUMMY!!! Thank you!!

36. Gina says

I am so excited about this idea! It will save so much money & cut down on all the gross additives they put into those microwave baggies!

37. Karen says

Thanks for posting. Did not think to try regular popcorn in the microwave. I have an airpopper but sometimes that is still a hassle. And no matter what brand microwave popcorn I try…they all have a funny taste to me.

38. Sarah H says

I recently tried the recipe with only 1 tbsp of oil (I still want the salt to stick) and the popcorn popped just the same and salt stuck the same, so I think I am going to go with the reduced amt of oil. LOVE this way!!

39. 1955nurse says

Did you know that for the same calories, you can either have: 3 cups ‘air-popped’ popcorn ( like this, made in the microwave) or SIX potato chips?!?!? Unreal… thanks, this is a great idea & easier than dragging out the Air-popper!!!

40. BEVERLY says

I remember popping corn like this when microwaves first came out and long before they came up with expensive microwave popcorn!

41. says

I saw this on TV a while back and they recommended using butter flavored cooking spray. It helps topping stick to it (like salt, seasoning salt, etc) and also does make the popcorn soggy (as melted butter or spray butter can).

42. Michelle says

The hubby and I love popcorn and eat it several times a week, but we too have been trying to get away from the expense of microwave popcorn. I was purchasing coconut oil the other day for another treat (homemade Magic Shell!) and saw that you can make popcorn with it. He now insists on popcorn popped on the stove in coconut oil…it’s delicious!

43. Kathleen says

I make popcorn like this everyday. However, I do not use tape or staples. I just fold the bag tightly a number of times and that’s enough to keep the popcorn in the bag.

44. Rensh says

I think I’ll try this. I have an air popcorn popper and I use it a lot, but there is one thing I don’t like about it. The popcorn seems a little tough after it’s made. I thought it was because the popcorn I used was old, but the date on the container says it’s fresh until 12/13. I bought a different brand anyways and the date was really good. Same thing, a little tough.

45. MamaC2009 says

This is awesome!! Just tried it and it tastes awesome!! So much healthier too! Thanks Frugal Girls!!!

46. says

I’ve been making popcorn this way for a few years now. I just fold the top of the bag into a tight crease and never have used tape. It works perfectly every time!

47. Rhonda says

I make popcorn in a pot on the stove and do NOT slide it on my glass top…works just as well. Remember to vent the lid just a tad, so the popcorn doesn’t get soggy.

48. Charla says

After the corn is popped I pour Light Olive Oil over it. It is not greasy and the corn stays very crisp. For Weight Watchers add 3 points for one tablespoon of oil. Sounds strange but it’s wonderful!