Homemade Microwave Popcorn Recipe!

Homemade Microwave Popcorn Recipes

Homemade Microwave Popcorn??

Yep ~ it can be done, and you’ll love this easy {$$-savin’} Popcorn Recipe!

• 1/3 cup Popping Corn
  • 1 brown Paper Bag {lunch sack size}
  • 1 piece of Tape
  • Salt {optional}
  • Melted Butter {optional… and delicious!}

Pour popping corn into brown paper bag…
{and just so ya know… it took a couple of tries to get this shot,
with one hand pouring, and the other hand taking the picture!
Let’s just say… there was popcorn everywhere!} ;)

Fold end of bag over, and tape shut.

• Place in microwave, and lay bag flat.   Stop once there is approximately 5 seconds between pops. {you’ll just have to experiment with this part, and see what works best with your microwave}.
  • Transfer to a bowl and eat as is or sprinkle with salt. Now, if you’re really living it up, go ahead and top this with some drizzled butter… mmm…
  • Enjoy!!

Homemade Microwave Popcorn Trick from TheFrugalGirls.comPin It Buttons

Simply Salsa Recipe {E-Z Homemade Salsa!}
Oh-So-Cute Ice Cream Cupcake Cones Recipe
Gooey Blueberry Angel Food Cake Recipe!

96 Responses to Homemade Microwave Popcorn Recipe!

1. Anonymous says:

What a great idea! Any idea how to get the Kettle Corn flavor?? That's my favorite!

• jesse says:

put some sugar in it

• Theresa says:

I make kettle corn all the time!! Put 3 kernels in a pot on the stove. Just cover the kernels with canola oil. Once they have popped the oil is hot enough. Pour 1/3 cup sugar in and 1/2 cup kernels in. Slide pot back and forth until the popping has slowed down. Dump into a bowl and sprinkle with salt. Mix to coat evenly and then just wait a couple of minutes for it to cool and harden. Enjoy!!!!!!!!

• kd says:

Don’t forget to put a lid on it.

• Bert in Rice says:

Insert text to read as follows:

“1/2 cup kernels in. Cover the pot. Hold the cover in place with one hand while sliding the pot back and forth…”

That’s how we made popcorn in the olden days before microwaves.

• Nancy Meyer says:

Yes I love your idea.This is how we popped pop corn all the time when i was growing up.I now have a glass range top and tried it but it scratched it from moving it back & forth.I wish i had a gas stove. That pop corn is the best.
        Nancy

• Theresa says:

Nancy,
          I too have a glass range, and it does not get scratched when I make this. Maybe if you try a different pot, you could be successful. It is a shame if you are not able to make this. Best of luck!!

• Jackie says:

I use a whirley pop to make my popcorn. I have a glass top stove as well. It gives the fresh made flavor and you don’t slide it back and forth on the stove top! Love my Whirley Pop!

• Haiett says:

What is a Whiskey Pop?

• kyle says:

A whirley pop is a pan with a lid that has a crank attached through it, so you can turn the crank and it stirs the popcorn inside as it pops. They’re nothing new, though this brand name may be. My grandparents had one from years ago.

• becky says:

I too scratched up my glass stove top doing it the old fashioned way. I thought I read a warning about aluminum on a glass stove top. I’m so anxious to use my whirley pop but afraid to ruin either the popper or the stove. Anyone know why this warning exists?

• Christine says:

I had totally had forgotten how to do this, thanks! Now let’s find one for caramel corn.

2. mom2nji says:

I am going to have to try this!! Thanks.

3. Me and my boys says:

Genius! This is one of those things that makes you slap yourself in the head and say "Why didn't I think of that?" =)
    Tammy

4. Heidi @ The Frugal Girls! says:

The kettle corn flavor comes from combining salt and sugar. You could certainly try topping with both and see if that solves your kettle corn cravings! :)

5. Kimberly says:

I do this all the time and love it. You don't have to use the tape either.

6. Lisa says:

that is a great idea!!! thanks for sharing!!

7. Lorraine says:

I eat popcorn practically every night. This is a great INEXPENSIVE way to enjoy my favorite snack. Thanks for the great recipe!!!!!
    lorrainejohnsis(at)yahoo(dot)com

8. Angie.... says:

I do this also! so far i havent had to use tape- just fold down top

9. Beth says:

I saw this a while back some where on the internet and have been doing making popcorn this way ever since! I don't buy the microwavable stuff anymore. This taste SO much better and it's much more cheaper :)

10. jennymartin116 says:

What a wonderful post! I cannot wait to try this at home–my kids LOVE popcorn, and I hate to buy the expensive not healthy microwave popcorn! Thanks so much!

11. KiminCA says:

What a GREAT idea! Less expensive AND so much more healthier. Thanks FG! =)

12. Christy says:

Way back in the stone age when microwaves were brand new this is how we made our popcorn! I forget why we stopped, I never taped the bag shut – maybe that is why! Popcorn all over the place.

13. Vickie's Michigan Garden (my backyard) says:

I love this idea -so much cheaper for sure!
    vickie

14. Hoosier Homemade says:

I've never seen it done like this. What a great savings. Thanks for sharing!
    ~Liz

15. Brenda says:

We have been making this exact recipe for a couple of years now, obviously loving it!
    It's so much healthier, and now I can hardly eat theater popcorn…too salty and way too much butter. When we do splurge and go to a movie I just make this and put it in my purse.

16. LS says:

I'm eating my popcorn as I speak and saying, "I love you! Thank you for this tip!"

17. Heidi @ The Frugal Girls! says:

Aww ~ you're welcome! I just had a bowl of popcorn myself! :)

18. Amy @ Finer Things says:

I use the stovetop method, but this would be so nice… eliminating the need to do dishes!

19. Sonya says:

I discovered this method of making popcorn a few months ago, so now this is one of the options for a snack for my 8 yr olds to take to school. There is a microwave in their cafeteria, so they are able to pop some popcorn and snack away, and it is a cheap option for me.

20. Kandi says:

Awesome. I provide healthier snacks for a wrestling team at least 2x a week – they love popcorn! This will really make a difference in my grocery bill. Thank you!!