How to Save Money on Dishwasher Rinse Aid!

Frugal Tip Save Dishwasher Rinse Aid

This frugal tip comes from several frugal girls who shared on The Frugal Girls Facebook page!

If you’ve been wanting a way to cut costs on dishwasher rinse aid… here’s a great frugal alternative:  White Vinegar!

That’s it!  Rather than using expensive rinse agents, simply fill your rinse aid dispenser with white vinegar. Vinegar does a great job at removing spots and disinfecting, too!

I’ve been putting this tip to the test for the past few months, and am amazed… it really does work!

Got a frugal tip??

Leave a comment and share!

See Also:Homemade Cleaners

41 Responses to How to Save Money on Dishwasher Rinse Aid!

1. whitney says:

I use White Vinegar for fabric softener, I fill up the little spot where you put softener at and my clothes come out clean and fluffy.

2. Jen says:

We use white vinegar in the laundry, especially towels. It helps keep the sour smell out of old towels, and generally freshens up the laundry. I put about a cup in a large/super large load at the beginning of the wash cycle. If you have pets, it also helps to take the “pet smell” out of blankets.

3. Marilyn says:

I also use white vinegar in the wash. I have a fabric softener ball and that I use for the vinegar. Vinegar softens and also removes odors from clothes.

4. Krista Kalvaitis says:

I am so excited I can’t wait to try this. Rinse aid was on my shopping list. I will change that to white vinegar and save some $$$$$$$$$$$$.

5. Roberta says:

I have used vinegar to set the color in shirts that kids have made at school & church craft classes. Rinse with roughly 1/4 cup of vinegar to a load. Then wash as you normally would.
    Also if you go on vacation or don’t use your dishwasher very often. Put 1/4 to 1/2 cup of vinegar in your dishwasher. Then you will want to run a cycle without dishes in to clean & sanitize the dishwasher. This keeps the pump from freezing up also cuts the lime deposits that build up over time.

Tip: Do not put Bleach or Bleach containing cleaners in with vinegar. Can cause unpleasant chemical reaction.

6. Amanda says:

1/4 cup vinegar and 1 cup water in a spray bottle, makes a great glass cleaner. (But for a short time you will smell vinegar lol)

7. margrath says:

can you use white vinegar on whites and colors wash?

8. Carol Roberts says:

I had bought some cheap dishwasher detergent recently trying to save some pennies. My dishes looked horrible. I put some white vinegar in with the next load and they looked great.

• Becca says:

OH! I returned dishwasher gel because it would not remove the coffee/tea from our mugs. I was having to “bleach” them every time they came out. That may have helped. Good info!

9. Heather Johnston says:

vinegar rocks my kids left beach towels in the car one day after swimming. I was really sick and didn’t go back to the car for TWO DAYS … the windows up etc, hot hot hot! Mixed a little vinegar with water in a spray bottle, poof, no more nasty smell! I also use it in laundry but love this new suggestion in the DW – frugal girls saves us money once again!

10. Liz Pennington says:

Vinegar also works to take cigarette smoke out of a room :O)

• Lori says:

How? Do you use it like a room spray? I need to know, my husband makes an AMAZING fish fry (and has developed quite a hungry following!) and we HATE the inevitable lingering smell in the house from feeding everyone fish fry!

Thanks Frugal Girls, please don’t retire any time soon!

11. Kate says:

I love white vinegar! I have done this for years & even passed it on to a friend a few weeks ago! I also use it in my laundry sometimes too, like if I find towels accidentially left on the floor (otherwise I love my downy lol).

12. Heather Simon says:

does it leave a vinegar smell? I can’t stand the smell of vinegar, i cant even eat a vinaigrette…I make my own dishwashing det, but all the rinses i see are vinegar. Suggestions?

• Catherine Kutsuris says:

Yes, I have been using a water softener, such as WhiteKing powder, it also is a detergent booster for the washing machine. I was told by an appliance repairman that since Phosphates are no longer in dishwasing soaps it has made our dishes cloudy and spotted; even with the use of rinse agents, like Jet-dry. Just sprinkle in about 2Tbs anywhere in your machine…..It works wonders!!

• Emily says:

Where do you buy WhiteKing powder from? What some other water softeners i could use? I dont have a space in my dishwasher for a rinse aide. plz help

13. Patti says:

I’ve used vinegar for almost everything. Now…I want to try the fabric softener. I am a senior and live alone. Do you have an approximate length of time the fabric softener will hold up/last. I wouldn’t use as quickly as some families w/children for example. Thanks for all the tips you send my way.

14. LaDonna Hopkins says:

I have always used vinrgar in my laundry, but had not thought to substitute it for dw rinse agent. Thanks for he tip

15. Gail says:

I use white vinegar for the rinse cycle in my washer. Clothes come out so clean with no smell (I’m very sensitive to odors.) The clothes also look whiter and feel softer. The washer repair person says my washer looks great, thanks to the vinegar rinse. I also use vinegar in my dishwasher to remove hard water stains. The dishwasher repairman recommended it.

I did want to ask if anyone knows if you can use white vinegar as a dishwasher liquid, rather than just as a rinse. I would love to use just the vinegar, as it would keep the soap from building up in the dishwasher. Thanks for any help…

16. Donna says:

Does anyone have a recipe for dishwasher soap?

17. Kristina Stadler says:

Can you use White Vinegar in HE washer’s and dryers!

• Christina Stewart says:

yes, I have been using it for over a year and recently mixed some for my mom. It works great and does not hurt the washer or performance of the device. It’s inexpensive, works, safe for the enviroment, all good things.

18. Samantha says:

I researched vinegar and sour smelling towels. Basically they said the dryer sheets will release a wax on your towels, so that traps the scent – good and bad. The vinegar breaks down the wax. Then I still use a dryer sheet because I like the smell.
    Also read not to mix vinegar with baking soda – I swear baking soda boosts my stain fighter. Started adding some baking soda to regular loads of laundry. But I use vinegar in the water with the soap AND in my downy ball when washing sheets and towels and my husbands undershirts with the deodorant stains (any good help there that doesn’t require extra scrubbing time?).
    I’d never put vinegar in the dryer. But it’s fine in HE washer – I got my Mom using it in hers.

19. Marsha says:

Thanks for all of the great tips about vinegar. I actually set small containers of it in each room of my house as a deoderize. You can tell when I first change the containers but it does not linger very long.

20. mrsoatee says:

I’ve never use vinegar for any of the above things, but I do use it on a sunburn! put it straight into a spray bottle and spray down that sunburn and let dry. Yes, you smell like vinegar till it drys, then you’re fine. A horrible sunburn goes away in a day or so. It will sting a little when first put on butis sooo benifitial!

• Jessie says:

It works wonderfully for a SUNBURN!!! We have used it in our family for many years. Shared it with a young man that was beet red… he said, not sure what that does but, WOW that really works :) !!!