How to Save Money on Dishwasher Rinse Aid!

Frugal Tip Save Dishwasher Rinse Aid

This frugal tip comes from several frugal girls who shared on The Frugal Girls Facebook page!

If you’ve been wanting a way to cut costs on dishwasher rinse aid… here’s a great frugal alternative:  White Vinegar!

That’s it!  Rather than using expensive rinse agents, simply fill your rinse aid dispenser with white vinegar. Vinegar does a great job at removing spots and disinfecting, too!

I’ve been putting this tip to the test for the past few months, and am amazed… it really does work!

Got a frugal tip??

Leave a comment and share!

See Also:Homemade Cleaners

Comments

1. whitney says

I use White Vinegar for fabric softener, I fill up the little spot where you put softener at and my clothes come out clean and fluffy.

2. Jen says

We use white vinegar in the laundry, especially towels. It helps keep the sour smell out of old towels, and generally freshens up the laundry. I put about a cup in a large/super large load at the beginning of the wash cycle. If you have pets, it also helps to take the “pet smell” out of blankets.

3. Marilyn says

I also use white vinegar in the wash. I have a fabric softener ball and that I use for the vinegar. Vinegar softens and also removes odors from clothes.

4. Krista Kalvaitis says

I am so excited I can’t wait to try this. Rinse aid was on my shopping list. I will change that to white vinegar and save some $$$$$$$$$$$$.

5. Roberta says

I have used vinegar to set the color in shirts that kids have made at school & church craft classes. Rinse with roughly 1/4 cup of vinegar to a load. Then wash as you normally would.
    Also if you go on vacation or don’t use your dishwasher very often. Put 1/4 to 1/2 cup of vinegar in your dishwasher. Then you will want to run a cycle without dishes in to clean & sanitize the dishwasher. This keeps the pump from freezing up also cuts the lime deposits that build up over time.

Tip: Do not put Bleach or Bleach containing cleaners in with vinegar. Can cause unpleasant chemical reaction.

6. Amanda says

1/4 cup vinegar and 1 cup water in a spray bottle, makes a great glass cleaner. (But for a short time you will smell vinegar lol)

7. Carol Roberts says

I had bought some cheap dishwasher detergent recently trying to save some pennies. My dishes looked horrible. I put some white vinegar in with the next load and they looked great.

• Becca says

OH! I returned dishwasher gel because it would not remove the coffee/tea from our mugs. I was having to “bleach” them every time they came out. That may have helped. Good info!

8. Heather Johnston says

vinegar rocks my kids left beach towels in the car one day after swimming. I was really sick and didn’t go back to the car for TWO DAYS … the windows up etc, hot hot hot! Mixed a little vinegar with water in a spray bottle, poof, no more nasty smell! I also use it in laundry but love this new suggestion in the DW – frugal girls saves us money once again!

• Lori says

How? Do you use it like a room spray? I need to know, my husband makes an AMAZING fish fry (and has developed quite a hungry following!) and we HATE the inevitable lingering smell in the house from feeding everyone fish fry!

Thanks Frugal Girls, please don’t retire any time soon!

9. Kate says

I love white vinegar! I have done this for years & even passed it on to a friend a few weeks ago! I also use it in my laundry sometimes too, like if I find towels accidentially left on the floor (otherwise I love my downy lol).

10. Heather Simon says

does it leave a vinegar smell? I can’t stand the smell of vinegar, i cant even eat a vinaigrette…I make my own dishwashing det, but all the rinses i see are vinegar. Suggestions?

• Catherine Kutsuris says

Yes, I have been using a water softener, such as WhiteKing powder, it also is a detergent booster for the washing machine. I was told by an appliance repairman that since Phosphates are no longer in dishwasing soaps it has made our dishes cloudy and spotted; even with the use of rinse agents, like Jet-dry. Just sprinkle in about 2Tbs anywhere in your machine…..It works wonders!!

• Emily says

Where do you buy WhiteKing powder from? What some other water softeners i could use? I dont have a space in my dishwasher for a rinse aide. plz help

11. Patti says

I’ve used vinegar for almost everything. Now…I want to try the fabric softener. I am a senior and live alone. Do you have an approximate length of time the fabric softener will hold up/last. I wouldn’t use as quickly as some families w/children for example. Thanks for all the tips you send my way.

12. LaDonna Hopkins says

I have always used vinrgar in my laundry, but had not thought to substitute it for dw rinse agent. Thanks for he tip

13. Gail says

I use white vinegar for the rinse cycle in my washer. Clothes come out so clean with no smell (I’m very sensitive to odors.) The clothes also look whiter and feel softer. The washer repair person says my washer looks great, thanks to the vinegar rinse. I also use vinegar in my dishwasher to remove hard water stains. The dishwasher repairman recommended it.

I did want to ask if anyone knows if you can use white vinegar as a dishwasher liquid, rather than just as a rinse. I would love to use just the vinegar, as it would keep the soap from building up in the dishwasher. Thanks for any help…

• Christina Stewart says

yes, I have been using it for over a year and recently mixed some for my mom. It works great and does not hurt the washer or performance of the device. It’s inexpensive, works, safe for the enviroment, all good things.

14. Samantha says

I researched vinegar and sour smelling towels. Basically they said the dryer sheets will release a wax on your towels, so that traps the scent – good and bad. The vinegar breaks down the wax. Then I still use a dryer sheet because I like the smell.
    Also read not to mix vinegar with baking soda – I swear baking soda boosts my stain fighter. Started adding some baking soda to regular loads of laundry. But I use vinegar in the water with the soap AND in my downy ball when washing sheets and towels and my husbands undershirts with the deodorant stains (any good help there that doesn’t require extra scrubbing time?).
    I’d never put vinegar in the dryer. But it’s fine in HE washer – I got my Mom using it in hers.

15. Marsha says

Thanks for all of the great tips about vinegar. I actually set small containers of it in each room of my house as a deoderize. You can tell when I first change the containers but it does not linger very long.

16. mrsoatee says

I’ve never use vinegar for any of the above things, but I do use it on a sunburn! put it straight into a spray bottle and spray down that sunburn and let dry. Yes, you smell like vinegar till it drys, then you’re fine. A horrible sunburn goes away in a day or so. It will sting a little when first put on butis sooo benifitial!

• Jessie says

It works wonderfully for a SUNBURN!!! We have used it in our family for many years. Shared it with a young man that was beet red… he said, not sure what that does but, WOW that really works :) !!!

17. Jennifer says

Definitely going to try this! Thanks for the tip. Have you noticed it helping with the cloudy look the glasses get. Ours just started doing this.
    Also, I use the white vinegar and hot water on my tile floors. Works great and no residue.

18. Heather says

For those of you with expensive silverware, maybe its worth washing them seperately. And for those with rust problems, maybe don’t use it everytime you use the dishwasher, just a couple times a month or something. Just trying to be helpful. (Our “silver”ware weren’t even $50 for the whole set! So, not something I really thought about! Sorry to hear that…. but vinegar is a great cleaning tool!).
    Thanks for all the tips!

19. Tammy Gilbert says

Vinegar and baking soda is great for cleaning stainless steel sinks. Spray the vingear on the sides and the bottoms and then sprinkle the baking soda. Rub with cloth or nylon sponge, rinse and towel dry. They will really shine!!

• ariel says

I have done this too, the bubbly reaction from the reaction of the bakingsoda and vinegar does all the work. I just dont like the smells.

20. Becca says

I just tried using white vinegar in the rinse aid dispenser in my dishwasher. I had all kinds of things in there, plastic, stoneware, Corelle, glass, and my stainless steel silverware. WOW am I amazed! All shiny, fresh and spotless! I was a bit worried about the silverware as some had posted on one of these pages that it “turned” theirs. No Problem here! I also used vinegar in the washer softener dispenser, great results! Clean and fresh smell from even my hubby’s sweaty stuff! Woohoo!! $$$$$ savings!

21. Pam says

I mix 1 cup of white vinegar with 1 bottle of Suave Hair Conditioner..what ever scent you like. This is a wonderful fabric softener. Had someone tell me the other day that my walk-in closet smelled like sweet clean laundry.
    Fabric softener sheets have sodium talowate (sic) which is animal fat…Yuck!

22. Vijay says

i was reading the comments about pantry organisation..in reply to Bonnie said: “Do NOT let the kids unpack the groceries!”….i think it very important that kids should be involved to unpack, because this way kids would know where is the stuff and it will be easy for them to put it back..

23. Sandra Gonzalez says

I have been using all of your recipes in my home and am so amazed at how well they work. I have saved so much $$$$ not using unsafe store bought products. Thank you so much for caring enough to publish this information.

• Heidi says

Aww ~ you’re very welcome, Sandra! I’m so glad you’re enjoying the DIY cleaning recipes! ;)