The Easter Story {Craft}… in an Egg!

Easter Story in an Egg - Resurrection Eggs from TheFrugalGirls.com

I love Easter! The bunnies are cute and I’ve honestly got a serious affection for addiction to Cadbury creme eggs!  ;)

But my favorite part of all is Jesus!  Nothing beats sharing the Easter story with your little ones through the ‘Resurrection Eggs‘ ~ like the ones sold at Hobby Lobby, Wal-Mart, bookstores, etc!

Now as a frugal girl… if you haven’t already bought these, here’s a thrifty way to make your own set!

My little guy actually made some as a craft a few years back in school!

What you’ll need:

• Empty egg carton (1 dozen)
  • 12 plastic eggs
  • Various additional supplies mentioned below

Easter Crafts Egg Story

The outside of the carton can be decorated with paper, etc. as well…

Now there are different ways to make the eggs, but here’s how my little guy made his…

Each egg will need to be numbered {1 – 12} … see the picture at the top of this post.

Here’s what you’ll put inside each egg:

• {Egg #1} Put a picture of the world, a cross, and a heart in this egg and the following….on a piece of paper, write or type: World and heart ~ For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son… {John 3:16} God loved us so much that He sent His one and only son to die for our sins.
  • {Egg #2} Put a small leaf or branch in this egg and the following….on a piece of paper, write or type: Palm Leaf ~ On Palm Sunday, they put palm branches and coats on the ground and waved palm branches at Jesus, shouting “Hosanna!”
  • {Egg #3} Put half of a Ritz cracker or other small broken cracker piece in this egg and the following… on a piece of paper, write or type: Bread ~ Jesus was having Passover, and it was called the Last Supper. He said, This is my body that was broken for you.
  • {Egg #4} Put one hershey’s kiss in this egg and the following… on a piece of paper, write or type: Kiss ~ Judas told the soldiers who Jesus was by giving Jesus a kiss.
  • {Egg #5} Put one nickel in this egg and the following… on a piece of paper, write or type: Judas got paid 30 pieces of silver for being bad and betraying Jesus.
  • {Egg #6} Put one toothpick in this egg and the following… on a piece of paper, write or type: Thorns ~ They put a crown made out of thorns on Jesus’s head.
  • {Egg #7} Put one nail in this egg and the following… on a piece of paper, write or type: Nail ~ They nailed Jesus to the cross.
  • {Egg #8} Cut a small piece off of a sponge and put it in this egg with the following… on a piece of paper, write or type: Sponge ~ They gave Jesus “pickle juice” {vinegar} to drink from a sponge.
  • {Egg #9} Cut a small piece of tissue, toilet paper or paper towel and put it in this egg with the following… on a piece of paper, write or type: Wrapping ~ They wrapped Jesus up in cloth and buried him. When he came back alive, the wrapping was left behind.
  • {Egg #10} Put a small rock in this egg and the following… on a piece of paper, write or type: Rock ~ The stone was rolled away on Easter morning because Jesus rose from the dead.
  • {Egg #11} All that goes in this egg is the following… on a piece of paper, write or type: Empty ~ He is not here. He has risen!
  • {Egg #12} Put a penny or a gold dollar {if you have one} in this egg and the following… on a piece of paper, write or type: Gold Coin ~ Because of what Jesus did on the cross, if we believe in him, ask him to forgive us of our sins, and ask him into our hearts, we get to be with Him in heaven some day! Heaven will be so fun, and will even have streets made of gold!! :)

Once you’re done… every day leading up to Easter, open 1 egg and read that part of the story!

I hope you enjoy making these with your kiddos, and the fun family tradition they’ll become!!

Get inspired with more fun Easter Craft ideas here…

A Jelly Bean Prayer

Jelly Bean Prayer Easter Craft from TheFrugalGirls.com

Chalkboard Easter Eggs!

Chalkboard Easter Eggs from TheFrugalGirls.com

Easter Mason Jar Candles

Easter Mason Jar Candles from TheFrugalGirls.com

BIG List of Fun Easter Crafts at TheFrugalGirls.com

27 Responses to The Easter Story {Craft}… in an Egg!

1. Jordyn says:

Thank you so much for sharing this. I’m going to share this with my sister to use in her Wednesday night Bible class.

2. Dulcecupie says:

I love it! Thank you so much for sharing! I would love to share this with my readers over at my blog if you don’t mind.

3. Sharon says:

Glad I found this…..thank you….plan to put it together and share with my grandchildren….Blessings for a wonderful Easter …love your site

4. stacy b says:

I love this! I’m going to do this with my Brownie Troop.

5. I am going to make this for my grand kids! they will love it!

6. Angela says:

Thank you. My daughter was part of the story last year & I loved watching it done w/ the eggs… great idea!

7. Wow! That’s really a neat way to do it. I’m going to have to print this off for next year!

8. Kelly says:

Just made mine!!! Can’t Wait to share it with my 10 and 5 yr olds over the next few evenings. They know the story well, but I think the hands-on lesson is so important.

9. Patti says:

I do this every year at our church with the young kids and they LOVE it, after we make the kits, I have the Pastor come in and tell the story as he opens an egg from a kit. the kids and Parents just take it in all in amazement.. HE IS RISEN!!

10. Julie P says:

That is so cool! I have 2 and a 4 year old that I wondered how I could share this story with them. What a fun way to teach them about Resurrection Day! =D

11. niki says:

I love this idea! I would love to make my own set from scratch. I’ll bet the kids in Sunday school would dig it too.

12. Kathy says:

Thanks so much for the idea. I love to make things like this rather than buy them, my son and I have much more fun making them instead!

13. Saija says:

THANK YOU for sharing this. Can’t wait to do this with my kids this spring.

14. Linda Miller says:

Hi Heidi, your website is truly a blessing and I’m sorry I didn’t check it out sooner! I can see why God has blessed it. We are looking forward to collecting the items with the kids and going through it many times.

Your Friend Linda Miller
    :) can you email me with you latest email…the one I have bounced back…miss you! :)

15. Heidi says:

Hi Linda ~ it’s so great to hear from you! I just emailed you… miss you too! ;)

16. Kelli A says:

Thanks for sharing.I am using this in my Sunday School last for the children this Sunday.

17. awesome! I am making this with my girls and sharing this on my page…thank you guys so much! I actually bought a brand new set of these eggs at the thrift store for 2.00 a couple of weeks ago..amazing find. I would much rather do the craft with my girls :)

18. Terri says:

Beautiful, blessed reminder of the true meaning of Easter. Thank you!

19. Brenda says:

This is fantastic. Now that I have a child, I am really looking for all kinds of traditions to share/start with her. Unfortunately, my family didn’t have any traditions and I want to change that with my daughter! Thanks!

20. Sabrina says:

Thank you for sharing this. We are going to make these at our Easter party tomorrow. I am so excited!