How To Prevent Knee-Holes in Jeans and Pants…

I’ve got a budget-friendly tip to share with you today… it’s all about lengthening the life of pants.  Your kids’ pants, your hubby’s pants… any pants that have a way of getting holes in the knees! For me… it’s my boys’ jeans.

Holes are attracted to the knees of their jeans like magnets… we’ve had new jeans one day and “holey” jeans the next!  One day it dawned on me rather than fixing holes… why not prevent them! For the past few years, here’s what I’ve done…

Pick up bondex iron-on patches in the color similar to the pants…

I use denim patches for jeans, and get the 2-packs at Wal-Mart for around $1.15…

First… wash jeans or pants in hot water and dry completely.

Flip the pants inside out, and locate the knee area.

Thinking of where the knee would hit when the pants are on, position the patch to attach to the inside of the front knee area.

Iron on with hot heat {per patch instructions}…

Repeat on other leg as well… after you’ve finished, they will look like this…

Now reverse the pants so they’re no longer inside out, and… voila!

Shh… nobody will know our little secret of the reinforced knees.

Nope… these are no longer ‘regular pants’. These are reinforced-knee, mega-durability, ready for serious wear-and-tear pants! {exactly the right kind of pants for my boys!}

Then… check out more fun $$ Saving Tips below…

Fashion Shoes and Clothes

Photobucket

Comments

1. Deana says

Thanks so much! I have two little boys, ages 5 & 8 and they are always coming home from school with "air-conditioned" pants. :)

2. Nancy says

My teenage girls wear their pants out in the knee way faster than my son(he's 3 yrs old). I'm assume it's because their pants are so much tighter than his. I'm going to use this trick on their pants!!! Thanks!

3. Stephanie says

Great idea – we normally patch AFTER there is a hole! Also – did you know that Sears will replace any children's clothes that are damaged (HOLES!) as long as you are replacing it with the same size!!! They are my new favorite place to shop for my boys!

• Meagan says

They actually just discontinued this promotion as of July 1st! We are so bummed! We would be going back every month getting new jeans!

4. Tracy @ Hall of Fame Moms says

THank you, I needed this info! Have boys 3 & 5 yrs of age and we've been blowing holes in knees since my oldest was 4. Just had a big knee rip at church Sunday 😉

5. Tanya says

Thank you! Thank you! I have been so frustrated with this very issue. My boys are not even rowdy and yet they get holes, on at least one knee, the moment we buy them.

6. Jill says

MAN! That is a good idea! I was just venting about this very problem concerning our seven year old son's jeans. Thank you so much for this idea!

7. Priscilla says

Thanks for the post! I just happened to look at one of the few pair that fits my son (because he hit a mid season growth spurt)and noticed the knee was starting to wear. With a second closely following him, this is a good way to make sure they last through both boys! Thank you!

8. Anonymous says

When my mom was growing up (she's 82 now) in the Depression, her father, a tailor, (her mom died when my mom was very young) sewed patches and then a button on the inside of the pants in the knee area so that when her brothers played marbles or knelt down, they would roll up their pant legs so they wouldn't be kneeling on the buttons.

9. Melissa says

I have to do that to my own jeans actually. I have a habit of wearing out my favourite jeans super quick, so recently I took the initiative and used iron on patches to save my jeans before I struck again.

10. Becky says

My kids don't wear holes in their knees too quickly any more, but we used this trick when they were younger. It really works!!

11. Raise Them Up says

I wish I had seen this little trick when my boys were still crawlers! Wow! I could have gotten so much more life out of all those jeans. :)

12. Annikke says

Ok, how ingenious is this? I am SO doing this. I get so sick of buying my boys jeans. I have a 9 year old and an almost 8 year old…..they go through jeans like crazy. I also have a 5 year old daughter who can wear out her jeans easily too (when she wears them that is , she is more of a dress girl!)

13. Jenny says

AWw but knee-holes are the fun part of jeans xD Personally I like walking the back of the legs off. I used to get in trouble for it all the time but it was nice to have my pants fit better around my feet.

14. SkylarKD says

Fantastic idea! I should do this for some of our pants. Although in our house, it's often the crotch of the pants that wears through or rips first… how do men DO that?! LOL

15. Alexia says

thanks!!! I get so tired of making my boys change into 'play pants'.. and the poor things still get so confused! this way they can wear ALL their pants to play!
    thanks!

16. Donna says

Well, this is one of those "why didn't I think of that" moments. I have a stack of about 5 pair of jeans waiting for me to patch them. Now, I know what I'm going to be doing to the new ones I got last week!

17. Anonymous says

I was just at Joanne's fabrics last night looking for something to reinforce my 3 boys' (2, 4 and 5)jeans – it didn't even dawn on me to put the patches on the insed before they wear out!! My google search led me hear. THANK YOU for the idea!

18. julie says

I am so glad that everyone knows about this tip. I have been doing this to my sons pants for years.. I was so tired of having to throw away his jeans because of the holes and i hated the way that patches looked on the outside of his jeans (at least for school) this way only i know that they are there…

19. Kristianna says

You can also use this trick to save your jeans in other “friction” spots. I had a favorite pair of jeans that were wearing out at the corners of the back pockets, and they still had just enough material to keep them from being indecent. In desperation, I went and bought some of those patches. I straightened out the fabric so it was all covered, and then patched them up from the inside and you couldn’t tell a difference!

20. Diana Wagler says

I have used this trick in the past when my boys were small. Works like magic! I still find that wind pants can be a problem after an aggressive game of volleyball! There are self-stick patches for wind pants that work great. They do work best applied to the outside but the colors available have been sufficient for our use. And, they are hardly noticeable at a glance.

21. Melanie says

We do this but have to re-iron the patches on after a couple of washes. It’s pretty annoying, but better than buying new jeans all the time.

22. Margaret Redmond says

I’ve often patched my older son’s jeans and khaki’s (usually after the hole occurs). I’ve discovered that not all iron on patches are equal in quality. Some adhere better over time.

23. Danielle says

My son sits on his knees at his desk all day since he has trouble sitting still. Also he is super skinny and we have a hard time finding jeans that fit him so we buy old navy skinny jeans with the adjustable waist…they look like normal jeans on him. Old navy jeans are not made from quality material so they really don’t last. I will definately be trying this!!