How To Prevent Knee-Holes in Jeans and Pants…

I’ve got a budget-friendly tip to share with you today… it’s all about lengthening the life of pants.  Your kids’ pants, your hubby’s pants… any pants that have a way of getting holes in the knees! For me… it’s my boys’ jeans.

Holes are attracted to the knees of their jeans like magnets… we’ve had new jeans one day and “holey” jeans the next!  One day it dawned on me rather than fixing holes… why not prevent them! For the past few years, here’s what I’ve done…

Pick up bondex iron-on patches in the color similar to the pants…

I use denim patches for jeans, and get the 2-packs at Wal-Mart for around $1.15…

First… wash jeans or pants in hot water and dry completely.

Flip the pants inside out, and locate the knee area.

Thinking of where the knee would hit when the pants are on, position the patch to attach to the inside of the front knee area.

Iron on with hot heat {per patch instructions}…

Repeat on other leg as well… after you’ve finished, they will look like this…

Now reverse the pants so they’re no longer inside out, and… voila!

Shh… nobody will know our little secret of the reinforced knees.

Nope… these are no longer ‘regular pants’. These are reinforced-knee, mega-durability, ready for serious wear-and-tear pants! {exactly the right kind of pants for my boys!}

{This ‘Works for Me!‘ ;)  This post is linked to We Are That Family}

BIG List of Homemade Cleaning Solutions
Chic & Crafty: Crafts, DIY Projects + Tasty Recipes!

Photobucket

35 Responses to How To Prevent Knee-Holes in Jeans and Pants…

1. Deana says:

Thanks so much! I have two little boys, ages 5 & 8 and they are always coming home from school with "air-conditioned" pants. :)

2. Nancy says:

My teenage girls wear their pants out in the knee way faster than my son(he's 3 yrs old). I'm assume it's because their pants are so much tighter than his. I'm going to use this trick on their pants!!! Thanks!

3. Stephanie says:

Great idea – we normally patch AFTER there is a hole! Also – did you know that Sears will replace any children's clothes that are damaged (HOLES!) as long as you are replacing it with the same size!!! They are my new favorite place to shop for my boys!

• Meagan says:

They actually just discontinued this promotion as of July 1st! We are so bummed! We would be going back every month getting new jeans!

4. Tracy @ Hall of Fame Moms says:

THank you, I needed this info! Have boys 3 & 5 yrs of age and we've been blowing holes in knees since my oldest was 4. Just had a big knee rip at church Sunday ;)

5. Tanya says:

Thank you! Thank you! I have been so frustrated with this very issue. My boys are not even rowdy and yet they get holes, on at least one knee, the moment we buy them.

6. Jill says:

MAN! That is a good idea! I was just venting about this very problem concerning our seven year old son's jeans. Thank you so much for this idea!

7. Priscilla says:

Thanks for the post! I just happened to look at one of the few pair that fits my son (because he hit a mid season growth spurt)and noticed the knee was starting to wear. With a second closely following him, this is a good way to make sure they last through both boys! Thank you!

8. Anonymous says:

When my mom was growing up (she's 82 now) in the Depression, her father, a tailor, (her mom died when my mom was very young) sewed patches and then a button on the inside of the pants in the knee area so that when her brothers played marbles or knelt down, they would roll up their pant legs so they wouldn't be kneeling on the buttons.

9. dmc says:

Great tip

10. Melissa says:

I have to do that to my own jeans actually. I have a habit of wearing out my favourite jeans super quick, so recently I took the initiative and used iron on patches to save my jeans before I struck again.

11. jeanne @ Inspiring Ideas says:

Terrific tip! I'll have to share this at my next play group! Thanks!

12. Becky says:

My kids don't wear holes in their knees too quickly any more, but we used this trick when they were younger. It really works!!

13. Heather @ Green Baby Green Mama says:

This is also a great tip for crawling babies! Thanks!

14. Raise Them Up says:

I wish I had seen this little trick when my boys were still crawlers! Wow! I could have gotten so much more life out of all those jeans. :)

15. Annikke says:

Ok, how ingenious is this? I am SO doing this. I get so sick of buying my boys jeans. I have a 9 year old and an almost 8 year old…..they go through jeans like crazy. I also have a 5 year old daughter who can wear out her jeans easily too (when she wears them that is , she is more of a dress girl!)

16. phasejumper says:

Great tip! Now if they only made patches for windsuit pants….

17. Jenny says:

AWw but knee-holes are the fun part of jeans xD Personally I like walking the back of the legs off. I used to get in trouble for it all the time but it was nice to have my pants fit better around my feet.

18. SkylarKD says:

Fantastic idea! I should do this for some of our pants. Although in our house, it's often the crotch of the pants that wears through or rips first… how do men DO that?! LOL

19. Sherry says:

I need to do this with my son's pants. He is always wearing holes in the knees. LOL!

20. Alexia says:

thanks!!! I get so tired of making my boys change into 'play pants'.. and the poor things still get so confused! this way they can wear ALL their pants to play!
    thanks!