How to make Homemade Bookmarks from Cards!

How to make Homemade Bookmarks from Cards

You know all those beautiful Birthday Cards, Christmas Cards, and Note Cards you receive throughout the year?

Don’t throw them away ~ turn them into Homemade Bookmarks!

My sweet Aunt Patty shared this tip with me a few years back, and I must say… we’ve got some pretty cute bookmarks holding places in our books right now!

Now, go gather up some cards you’ve recently received…
Then grab some scissors, a 3-hole punch and ribbons.

Cut out long thin sections of the card, while keeping the picture in tact.

Punch a hole at the top, and loop a ribbon through.

Trim the edges of the ribbon at a slight angle.

Round the corners of the bookmark if desired, using scissors or corner rounder.

There you have it… quick, easy, and adorable bookmarks!
Keep some for yourself and give some as thrifty gifts!
This is a fun & simple craft for the kids, too!

BIG List of Easy Crafts - at TheFrugalGirls.com

54 Responses to How to make Homemade Bookmarks from Cards!

1. Amethyst Moon says:

Wow! Great idea! and simple even us non-crafters can do it :0)

• I have made these for years. However, before I punch the holes for the ribbon I cover both sides of the bookmark with clear contact paper. This makes them sturdier and easier to wipe off when they get dirty. I usually get a big roll of the clear contact paper from Walmart, it is reasonably priced there,

2. Anonymous says:

What a great idea!
    Carol

3. notofthisworld_1973 says:

This is a great idea! I'll have to make some soon.

4. Meg @ Being Resourceful says:

You could even make bookmarks like this using friends' photo cards and give them the bookmarks with a book you've already read… Talk about being resourceful!

5. Heather@ theherberfamily.blogspot.com says:

Very fun & Frugal!

6. mayasmom23 says:

What a great idea! I am definitely going to try this. Thanks.

7. RachelV says:

Great idea!

8. akhmmm says:

I love this idea!! What a great way to use the wonderful cards we get all year and keep the memories of love and friendship close at hand or to give as gifts.

I think that I will do this. You could also laminate them if you have access to a machine.

Elaine H

9. Jessica says:

Very cute!

10. shopannies says:

what a great idea

11. Amy @ Finer Things says:

Great idea! That would sure beat the post it note that I normally use. :)

12. Anonymous says:

Neat idea! Think I'll try this next time I'm looking for a nice gift tag, too.

13. Carli says:

This is a really great idea! Awesome way to re-use!

14. Sonya Shell says:

Wow! I’ve always kept cards, not knowing what to do with them, but not wanting to let them go b/c they’re so pretty!!
    Thanks!

Any ideas for glass baby food jars?

15. Aunt Patty says:

Who would ever of thought????? That was fun to read all the replies. YOU ARE THE BESTEST FRUGAL GAL…KEEP GOING GIRL. Love you and yours, aunty Patty

16. Mary C says:

Thought this was an awesome idea, so I shared it on my FaceBook Profile

17. This is wonderful! I have an Autisitic daughter that keeps and collects all the cards that are given her. She has a shoebox full! She also loves to read, loves crafts and bookmarks! She will enjoy making these for family and friends…thank you!

18. Barbara Johnson says:

That’s a great ideal. Keep up the good work :) Here’s another frugal ideal that I’ve been doing for years. To use up the Christmas cards that you receive from other people cut the front off and use as a post card. My husband use to say I was cheap but as the years rolled on he has changed his mind (to a point).

Thanks, Barbara :)

19. Tina says:

Love it!! Thank you!

20. Lisa })i({ says:

OMG!! This is awesome at my house i had plenty of them, but sadly i threw it all away. But nevermind i’ll have some more, thanks!