They had edible chocolate bowls at my High School prom. I remember my mind being blown. It seemed so gourmet. So fancy. So… difficult to make.
Go figure… it’s not all that difficult. It takes about 15 minutes and a package of balloons! But don’t tell your friends how easy it was. 🙂
For this recipe, I filled the edible white chocolate cups with dark chocolate mousse. Don’t let that box you in! Get creative with this one. Instead of mousse, here are some other fun options for filling:
- berries (or cooled off balsamic honey berries, using this method)
- mint-flavored-whipped cream (use the whipped frosting recipe from this York Peppermint Patty Cupcake Recipe)
- banana ice cream
- pie filling
- whipped cream (and sliced strawberries, a la this post!)
Anyone else have some good ideas for filling consideration?!
Prep time: 15 minutes
- 1 pack Almond Bark (white) or White Chocolate
- 1 pack Balloons
- 1 box Jello Chocolate Mousse Mix
- 1 cup Skim Milk
- Blow up small balloons and set aside.
- Heat almond bark or white chocolate in the microwave for 90 seconds. Stir, then continue to heat in 15 second intervals, stirring in between, until the chocolate seems almost melted. Take it out and stir until it is smooth.
- Carefully, dip balloons in chocolate and slowly move around to get a clean line of chocolate. Remove and set on a sheet of parchment paper. Continue until chocolate has been used up.
- Set chocolate covered balloons aside.
- Combine chocolate mousse mix with 1 cup of skim milk and mix, using an electric mixer, on low for 30 seconds, then on high for 4 minutes.
- Set mousse in the fridge to cool for 2 hours.
- Using a fork or toothpick, pop the balloons. This is the fun part, people! Stab those things! Most of the balloons will lift right out after being popped, but some need a bit more finesse. Be gentle with them!
- Spoon or pipe chocolate mousse into edible chocolate cups.