How to Make Korker Hair Bows

Korker Hair Bows

Have you been wondering how to make those cute Korker Hair Bows with the curly ribbon??  Well… check out this easy Korker Hair Bow Tutorial!

• Grosgrain Ribbon ~ 3/8″
  • Dowels ~ 1/4″ by 12″
  • Clothespins ~ regular or mini
  • Alligator Hair Clip or Barrette
  • Glue Gun

First, you’ll start by gluing ribbon to an alligator clip ~ go here for step-by-step instructions ~ or you can also just use a barrette!

Now… on to the korkers!  Wrap ribbon around dowel, and secure each end with a clothespin.  {I used mini clothespins}

Place on foil-lined cookie sheet…

Bake at 250 degrees for 20 minutes.  {yep… I know it’s weird, but trust me… it works!} ;)

Allow dowels to cool, then carefully remove super-cute corkscrew ribbons from the dowels ~ you can gently unwind them…

…or just slide them right out…

You can experiment with how many ribbons you’ll use, depending on how full you want your bow.  I used 7 ribbons for this bow.

It’s time to cut your ribbons to your desired length… my corkscrews were around 12″ long, so I cut them into thirds… with each piece ending up around 4″ long…

Angle cut the edges of the ribbon, then quickly run the ends of the ribbons under quick flame to prevent them from fraying.  {no burning your fingers… mm-kay??}

Then start stacking the ribbons, alternating the colors.  Keep them pressed together neatly in the middle….

Once you’re done, you’ll tie the last piece of korker ribbon left around the middle, like this…

Fluff the ribbons… and you’ve got a seriously CUTE korker bow!

Now it’s time to glue them onto the top of your alligator clip or barrette {knot side facing down} ~ and you’re all done!! :)

For more fun 4th of July Hair Clip ideas, check out these…

4th of July Clippies ~ go here for instructions

4th of July Clippie Bows ~ go here for instructions

Pretty Flower Clips ~ go here for instructions

A BIG thanks to frugal friends Danielle & Denon for sharing the tips and tricks to make these adorable korker bows!

Get inspired with more fun Hair Clip Tutorials and Ideas here…

DIY Hair Clippies

Hair Clips

DIY Flower Hair Clips and Headbands

DIY Hair Clips and Headbands

DIY Double Ribbon Hair Bows

Baby Hair Clippies

Fabric Flower Tutorial

Fabric Flower Headbands

Simple Ribbon Organizer

Hair Clip Holder

Fun Ribbon Storage Ideas!

Ribbon Storage

Find more Fun Inspiration with The Frugal Girls here:

Button - The Frugal Girls on Pinterest
Button - The Frugal Girls on Instagram
Button - The Frugal Girls Email Updates
Button - The Frugal Girls on Facebook
Button - The Frugal Girls on Google+

Comments

1. says

Oh these are so cute, I really need to make some for the little girls I know and not just because I never knew you could put ribbon in the oven and am dying to try it. Thanks for the tutorial, soooo cute!

2. Diane says

Those are so adorable! Thank you for posting this! I love to make bows for my daughter and her friends. I have always wondered how to make the ribbon curly. I would have never thought to wrap the ribbon around a dowel and then bake it in the oven!!

3. Sara says

If barrettes don’t work for you (my daughter has very fine hair and barrettes slide out too easily), you can do the same, only add a ponytail holder before you secure the center piece of ribbon.

4. MaryAnn says

Oh my daughter is going to love making these 4th of July hair bows. She’s been making different ones this week as she’s creative. She works at Michael’s part time so buys all her creative merchandise from them to make these bows. They are so cute on the ones she made so far. She told me she rather make her own than pay $5.00 or more for a plain simple from the stores.

5. Shauna Gaskill says

I cannot wait to try this with my girls, they have been bugging me for hair bows, or fancy hair ties, and the $ is just a little nuts. I am not sure how I ended up with a couple of girly girls, but these are right up their alleys

6. Page says

Quick question…I have made these bows before this way and find that the ribbon doesn’t stay curled. They look cute at first, but then end up barely curled after a couple weeks. I even tried spraying them with starch before putting them in the oven. Did you have this problem, or is it just me? Thanks for any input. Love your site!

• Heidi says

Hi Page ~ hmm… I honestly haven’t had any problem with the curls coming out. I wonder if it might have to do with the temperature or amount of time they were in the oven?

• Marie Lindahl says

• says

If the ribbons won’t stay curled… You can try using liquid starch….dip them in it before wrapping or use the spray kind and spray after wrapping them. You can also try using Stiffen Stuff spray. It isn’t cheap, but works to make ribbon stiffer and stay the way it is shaped. The only thing you have to remember is to clean out the spray head with warm water when finished or the spray will clog the nozzle.

• says

i do 275 for 20-25 min i spray with starch before and after. keeps them curled. my new problem is using satin ribbon or ribbon with like glittery designs. they like to bleed or melt. i’m guessing lower temp and less time. ideas?

• Emily says

Could this be a humidity “problem?” I wonder where ya’ll live. I say that because it is pretty humid here in Iowa.

• Page says

Thanks for the replies! I’ve tried both spray and liquid starch. I’ve also left them in longer than 20 minutes and increased the temperature in the oven some. I will see if I can find the Stiffen Stuff. :)

• Daneta says

I have been making hair bows for a few years now (have sold a few) and have learned a few tips along the way…some trial and error and some by searching the internet.
          -Light ribbon takes longer to curl than dark. (don’t know why, but have experienced and found discussions online about it)
          -I find I have to “cook” my ribbon MUCH longer than the instructions (not just these) always say.
          -Some ribbons, depending on their content just take totally different times to curl and some (like some printed ribbon) doesn’t hold curl well.
          Stiffen Stuff is AMAZING! It is pricey, but I always use a 40% off one item Michael’s coupon to get it cheaper…After cooking the ribbon, I spray with stiffen stuff, let dry then spray 1 or 2 more times! makes them extra crunchy and it holds REALLY well!
          -I always use a dowel that is slightly smaller than my ribbon width and make sure to TIGHTLY wrap the ribbon around the dowel! Hope you have better luck!! :-D

7. Laura says

Thanks so much for sharing this! I’ve got an almost five year old daughter who loves anything girly…she’s going to love these! We’ve also got a 15 month old daughter who wants to do everything like her big sister, so we’ll have to make matching bows for the girls :).

8. Noelle says

I have spent so much on bows for my daughter. I am SO excited to start making them on my own. Not that she needs anymore! lol

9. Jenn says

An easy way to seal the edges of the ribbon, use a T-lite candle and hold the ribbon with an alligator clip. No burned fingers and you don’t have to try and hold the lighter!

10. cathi carpenter says

Oh my golly how stinkin cute are those and HEY! Thanks for the tip on makin the bows all curly…never knew how to do that!! So cute!!!

11. Michelle says

I tried once to make a korker but it didn’t go too well but this has some tips that might make it actually turn out right. Can’t wait to try again, thanks!

12. says

I’ve always wondered how to make korkers!

I gave this a go tonight and had trouble getting the ribbons to stay spaced how I liked them when I tied the last ribbon on. Instead, I just used a needle and thread. One quick stitch up and back through secures them really nicely!

13. Kerry says

I love making these and they hold up very well. The satin/soft ribbon does not work well at all for the curls. I found the ribbon must be grosgrain ribbon or it will not work. I have tried the other ribbons as experiments and even with the starch the curl does not hold up. My girls have several different ones we bought and I will usually buy the ribbon on the off season when it is on sale and make the bows for the next year holiday!

14. Jenny D. says

I am literally about to make these right now…so excited. Bought everything I’d need last night at Michael’s (LOVE their $1 ribbon bin!!). Can’t wait to see how these turn out! My Neices and my Cousins Daughters are going to love them!! Oh, and for how cheap these are to make, I will NEVER let anyone I know spend $10-$15 on these ever again!!

15. Richelle Gonelli says

I LOVED these cute little bows. Unfortunately my daughter has outgrown hairbows. HOWEVER – she has NOT outgrown cute flip-flops! Guess what I did? I used your “recipe” for corker hair bows and instead put them on flip-flops. My daughter and I ended up with the CUTEST little flip-flops for 4th of July!! They are so cute, I’m going to make some for every holiday (Well, maybe not Christmas. Actuallly – we live in Texas so I could probably even wear them in December!!) Thanks for the tutorial and great idea!!

16. sue c says

ahhhh, i have been looking for curling ribbon and couldn’t find. now i know how to make curly bows. thanks for the tips!

17. Shannon says

*helpful hint to ease frustration*
    if you spray the ribbon with some NATURAL starch, they will come out stiff, keeping their shape for YEARS to come! Do not use a toxic/flammable starch in your oven though, and increase the oven time to 30-35 min. :-)

18. Shalise says

Thanks I love doing these and I have not done the foil before but I think I will. I also love to spray the ribbon with starch before baking, I found it keeps the curl better.

19. says

Thanks for the help. I’ve been wanting to make these to add to my bows & such on my business page. Thanks a lot for the simple & easy directions. Can’t wait to try them!

20. Susan says

Does Anyone know how you can stop colours running when Korking. Using dark ribbons with white Polka Dots in it the dots never remain pure white?
    Great tips though as I’ve never used tin foil.

21. Kiki says

How do you get it to fluff so nicely/evenly? I couldn’t get mine to look like yours for the life of me! The ribbon keeps bunching together & only going out to the sides, exposing the middle part where the tying ribbon is. I can’t get it to fluff all around & look uniform. Any tips?

22. says

Hi! I love your korker bows and finally got around to making my own, following your tutorial. The tutorial was great! I couldn’t believe how easy they were to make. Here’s a link to my post if you want to check them out: http://allthisforthem.blogspot.com/2012/12/hair-bows.html
    PS: I ended up hot-gluing the layers a little bit to the clip so they wouldn’t get pulled out. I was contemplating sewing a stitch in them next time. Do you have any thoughts on that? Thanks again!! :)