Homemade Foaming Soap Trick!

DIY Foaming Soap Trick from TheFrugalGirls.com

I. Love. Fluffy Soap! It’s true ~ I love the foaming suds… but not the price.

Homemade Cleaners are a simple way to save BIG, so one day I decided to make Homemade Foaming Soap!   I’ve been doing this trick for years now… and you can too!

• Liquid Hand Soap {Softsoap, Dial, antibacterial or other}  *Don’t use the thick & creamy soaps.  The clear-based soaps foam best!*
  • 1 Empty Foaming Hand Soap Bottle {Bath & Body Works, Dial, etc.}

• Fill the Empty Foaming Soap Bottle with approx. 1 inch of your liquid hand soap
  • Slowly fill the rest of the bottle with tap water.
  • Put lid back on, and gently tip upside down & side to side to mix.
  • Don’t shake {it will get too sudsy ~ just trust me} :)

Now isn’t that easy??

Give it a try ~ making Homemade Foaming Soap is a cinch! Your hands… and wallet will thank you! ;)

While you’re at it… you can make some DIY Foaming Dish Soap, DIY Foaming Tear-Free Shampoo, and Foaming Baby Wash too… because, why not?!?

DIY Foaming Baby Wash

Foaming Baby Wash DIY

DIY Foaming Body Wash

DIY Foaming-Body-Wash

DIY Foaming Tear-Free Shampoo

Foaming Tear Free Shampoo

DIY Foaming Dish Soap

DIY Foaming Dish Soap Recipe

BIG List of Homemade Cleaners!   Thanks for supporting The Frugal Girls!

136 Responses to Homemade Foaming Soap Trick!

1. Christy says:

Wow…now I’m gonna have to try that! Thanks for such a great tip!

2. Alicia says:

I have been doing this for a while with dish soap, but putting even less than a whole inch of soap in. It makes the dish soap last longer because less soap is wasted down the drain. One bottle of good dish soap like Dawn, because it starts out so think, has lasted me 6 months or more.

• crazywoman/Billie says:

I’ve done that too, and I agree, 1″ is using way too much (and wasting) soap!! You don’t need near that much.
      I’m actually still working on the amount to use, but that is way more than you need!

I’m having trouble with some of my foaming pumps tho. (Sometimes even the bottles I’ve bought just to get the bottles & pumps, before that bottle is even empty!) Anyone else having trouble with the pumps. Some seem to work fine, and can be reused several times (my daughter has some she’s been using for years), and and sometimes they don’t even last thru the first bottle.

• Juliet says:

I think the Dial foaming soap pumps are sturdy and have had great luck using a refill to replenish the quantity of just 3 pumps around my house for at least a year. Typically my husband throws one out once empty, no matter how many times I nag him about it. I recently bought an Orla Kiely edition of Method purely for looks, and it seems to work well enough. Fingers crossed!

3. fanniebee says:

Isn’t it amazing …it’s actually LESS soap and yet it costs TONS more at the store.

• Angela says:

It’s funny, I was never a fan of foam soap (I felt it went quicker than regular hand soap). But with this trick, it’s cheaper to do it this way. I’ll give it a try!

4. Carole says:

Thank you so much. I’ve been making my own laundry soap for quite a while now and I love it. I even make it for my sister now and my kids love helping me do it. Can’t wait to try this one!

5. Tiffany M says:

I have been doing this since you posted it over 6 months ago and LOVE IT. I have told everyone I know about this little trick. THANK YOU THANK YOU!

6. Nicole Biggs says:

I’ve refilled the foaming bottles with just plain water before, and have been able to still use it.

7. Gina Tansey says:

ok i need to go get a foaming bottle now…my kid goes thru that softsoap sooooo quickly its ridiculous…sounds like it will last me alot longer this way..thanks

8. Melissa Hancock says:

I do this as well, but you have to watch what soap you use because some will separate no matter how much you mix. (Softsoap Aloe soap always separated for me.) Dish soap does work very well, but it was drying my daughter’s hands out.

• Allison says:

Very true, about the dish soap. But if you purchase the Dawn Plus Hand Renewal Dish Soap, that will be amazing on your hands, even when washing the dishes! If you’re on a tight budget, like me, Walmart came out with their Great Value brand of the hand renewal for only 2 bucks, and it has the same ingredients, and works just the same, if not better. I have the pomegranate scent so it works well in the kitchen and bathroom!!

• MsKat says:

The Softsoap with aloe one separates because it is more creamy…if you get a soap that you can see through in the bottle you won’t have any problems with separation. Can’t say the same for the creamy dish soaps though because I haven’t tried it, has anyone had any separation with the creamy dish soaps?

9. Julie says:

Carole, will you please share your recipe for home made laundry soap? Does it make your clothes just as clean? I hate dingy laundry. Thanks so much for any info!

10. Stephanie says:

I do this too!

11. Olivia says:

I’m excited to try it! I would also like to have the laundry soap recipe, if you wouldn’t mind sharing. I love these tips, thanks!

12. Susan Heim says:

What perfect timing! I just finished up a bottle of foaming soap and tried this with my regular soap. It worked great!

13. Denise says:

I’ve always heard it was one tablespoon per bottle and if I put in too much soap the pump gets gunked up and will get stuck after each press.

Has anyone seen a more decorative, permanent foaming soap dispenser? I’ve been doing this for years and would like something more than just refilling the plastic bottle.

• Kim says:

You can always decorate the bottle with the clear backed stickers, or add silk flowers to the bottle.

• Pam says:

Try Bath and Body works when I was there the other day I got a Stainless steel cover that fits over the foam bottles. It was 5 bucks but not to bad considering you can us it forever. The semi-annul sale just started last week so you could pick up something on sale or another coupon maybe coming out soon the current on ends in a day or so.

• Donna says:

I saw an idea on Pinterest that you can spray paint the soap dispencer in a bronze/ brown spray paint then put a monogram initials on it!

• Jenny says:

Bath and Body had cute covers for the soap dispensers over Christmas.

• Amanda says:

I recently found a super cute craft idea on pinterest on how to make your own soap dispenser out of a mason jar. Now that I know I can still use the foamy pump…. woohoo! I can’t wait to make mine :)

• MsKat says:

I had always added soap to the bottle about 1/4 the way up. I have discovered that sometimes it is too runny and I use more if I don’t add enough, but I plan to try using less next time until I find my perfect amount, now that I know it works with less. On the other hand, if you use too much soap it is hard to pump and comes out thick like Cool Whip and dries your hands out.

• Erin says:

I saw one at Macy’s the other day, an actual foam soap dispenser, no soap, just the dispenser. Might have even had more than one type, I think there was a bamboo one and a stainless steel and black one.
      They weren’t cheap (compared to the plastic bottles that come with the soap in them, like Dial), I think they were like $20-25? Macys often has coupons though, you could prob get it cheaper. And if they’re at Macy’s, I’m sure they can probably be found elsewhere, like Bed, Bath, and Beyond or something.

14. Sme says:

We have done this with the foaming dish soap too. Works wonders.

15. Celia D says:

I do the same type of thing to make detangling spray for my daughters hair. Just put enough conditioner in the bottom of a spray bottle to cover the bottom. Then fill with water and shake

16. I have been doing this for quite a while and love it. I need to get my hands on some more foaming bottles.

• Becca says:

If you can’t locate “foaming bottle donations”, Pampered Chef has a bottle that does the same thing. You can use the hand soap or dish soap, the measurement is on the bottle. I have one for both.
      This isn’t a plug for business, but just a response!

• Ginny frechette says:

I had a Pampered Chef foaming bottle and it didn’t after a short time. Maybe they have improved. It was a number of years ago that I got it.

• Amy says:

Use a vinegar/water mixture in the swiffer as well. It will clean & disenfrct your floors great!!

17. Becky says:

What great ideas!
    I will be trying the leave in conditioner as well ;0)
    thanks!!!!

18. Sherry says:

Sweet! I’m going to have to try that!

Have a great weekend!
    Sherry

19. Katie says:

Wow! What a great money saving tip…I am going to have to try this!

20. My girls just finished a bottle of foaming bath soap last night during their bath. Do you think this will work with body wash? I am going to try it. Thanks