17 DIY Bug and Mosquito Repellent Tricks!

DIY Bug Repellent

Frugal friend Ashley was on the hunt for some ideas for Homemade Mosquito Repellent or DIY Bug Spray, so I asked away on The Frugal Girls Facebook page!

Check out these tips from your frugal friends on Facebook, with ways to keep those pesky mosquitoes and buggers away this summer…

Carol said: “I put a baggie 1/2 full of water and put 5 shiney pennies in it and tack it beside my screen door.  Flies think it is a predators nest and stay away.  I used to have bad problems with flies… now I don’t.”

Elaine said:  “I have had good results using citronella oil… you dab it on forehead, ankles, elbows, shoulders….it is natural and works great.  If you would rather spray it, use a glass spray bottle filled with distilled water and a few drops of the citronella oil.  Be sure to use a glass spray bottle and only mix what you are going to use that day.”

Citronella OilJamie said:  “Try using citrus essential oil or lavender essential oil, mixed with water in a spray bottle.”

Shaunna said:  “Using ‘Skin So Soft‘ by Avon will help keep the mosquitoes away!”

Erica said: “I currently live in Thailand, where mosquitoes are everywhere year-round. So far the best mosquito repellent I’ve found is eucalyptus oil.  A mosquito found its way into our room one night and was buzzing around waiting for us to fall asleep, so I filled a little spray bottle with water and a little bit of eucalyptus oil, and shook it and sprayed all around our bed (the sides of the bed, the headboard, and the top sheet–not on pillows or anywhere we might touch and get in our eyes).  No bites! We even woke up feeling refreshed and re-energized from the aromatherapy effects.” :)

4 oz. Spray BottlePatti said: “Here’s a recipe for DIY Insect Repellant:
- 3.5 ounces witch hazel

- 1/2 tsp lemongrass oil
- 1/2 tsp eucalyptus oil
- 1/2 tsp citronella oil
Combine all ingredients in a 4-oz. spray bottle, and shake before each use!”

Melissa said:  “I use Coconut Oil as a spider repellent.”

Laura said:  “I know that Listerine will kill mosquitoes.”

ListerineWendy said:  “Make sure to use the “old fashioned” Listerine… the plain yellow Listerine.”

Susan said:  “We have also used the Listerine in a spray bottle and sprayed it around at a family reunion.  It worked great!”

Save on Dryer Sheets

Bonnie said:  Dryer sheets!  You can rub them on your skin or put them in a pocket!  I also put original scent Listerine in a spray bottle, and mist it around our deck and fire pit.  Works GREAT!”

Karen said: “When we went camping, we used Bounce dryer sheets to wipe on our arms and legs for the evening.  It worked great and kept the mosquitoes away!”

Kathleen said:  “I keep a box of dryer sheets in the car for my grandchildren.  If I feel their skin is too sensitive, I just rub the dryer sheet on their clothes and socks.”

Ashley said: “We use pure vanilla extract, and it works great!”

Kim said:  “I take garlic pills and the bugs pretty much leave me alone all summer.  And no, the humans don’t.  You don’t smell like garlic from garlic pills.”

Krista said:  “I use Zote Soap in my Homemade Laundry Detergent… it’s a natural bug repellent.”

{go here for a Homemade Laundry Detergent Recipe… Zote could then be substituted for the Fels-Naptha soap}

Priscilla said:  “No lie, here in Miami it is a Cuban custom to fill a clear bag of water to hang by the area you will be.  I have never had a problem with mosquitoes when I do this.”  ;)

Camping Tips and Tricks

Thanks for supporting The Frugal Girls!

So… how do YOU keep those pesky bugs away?

Got a tip or trick??  Leave a comment & share!

13 Responses to 17 DIY Bug and Mosquito Repellent Tricks!

1. Stephanie says:

Great tips! My oldest son is allergic to mosquito bites, so I’m always on the lookout for good repellants. Thank you! :)

• Lori says:

My daughter is also allergic to Mosquitos .she would get celluites from them. Had many a trip to the Dr’s. And ER before we found absorbin JR. helped to bring the swelling down and stop the etching.

2. Jenni says:

I use Zote in my handmade laundry soap! I’m excited to learn that it naturally repels mosquitoes! Hurray! Hope it works. :)

• Susan says:

Where can you buy Zote soap at? I make my own laundry soap but use Fels Naptha because I haven’t been able to find the Zote. Thank you for your help in advance. Susan

• Mary says:

I order Zote and Fels Naptha from Amazon. I few big grocery stores sell it in the laundry section. It’s usually on the top shelf. Both are great for pretreating stains so I always keep a bar in the camper.

• Jenn says:

I get my zote from Walmart. At mine, its down the same aisle as the fels naptha, but on the laundry soap side. Comes in white and pink bars. An is more cost effective the the feels because its over 14oz for .97.

3. Erica says:

I currently live in Thailand, where mosquitoes are everywhere year-round. So far the best mosquito repellent I’ve found is eucalyptus oil. A mosquito found its way into our room one night and was buzzing around waiting for us to fall asleep, so I filled a little spray bottle with water and a little bit of eucalyptus oil, and shook it and sprayed all around our bed (the sides of the bed, the headboard, and the top sheet–not on pillows or anywhere we might touch and get in our eyes). No bites! We even woke up feeling refreshed and re-energized from the aromatherapy effects :)

4. Darlene Moss says:

What about for fleas? Any suggestions? Our bug man will not go under house(unless he sprays for fleas)to do yearly temite check. Thanks!

5. Kim W says:

I am from the deep south with high humidity and live on wooded acreage. Vanilla extract has worked wonderfully as a bug repellent! No harmful chemicals and you smell great! Easy on children’s skin, nontoxic. Only need to daub on at pulse points. If using on small children.

• amanda says:

I was wondering how little would a little kid be my daughter is ten and I was wondering if it would work on her

6. Jeff says:

I was thinking I read on here a while back about a trap made out of a jar and old hamburger to catch cockroaches. Or if someone has a DIY to rid them.

7. Lisa Coulson says:

As soon as I hear mosquito I have to refer to this amazing solution, citrus and mint…my husband and I wear everyone’s lotion, bought on amazon that is scented citrus and mint. No mosquito bites!

8. ALYSSA says:

I used smashed garlic in a bag and rosemary and I put it on the wall and it kept the vampires away…