How to Make Marble Magnets {cute + thrifty!}

Like it?  Pin it!

I’ve been seeing the cutest marble picture magnets at the stores, but I haven’t been able to bring myself to pay full price for them!

So…. I started playing around with my Mod Podge {just like we used in the Cute & Crafty Clipboards} , and discovered that Marble Magnets are a cinch to make!

• Mod Podge {I used Glossy}
  • Small, Strong Round Magnets
  • Flat Glass Marbles {I found small ones at Hobby Lobby & larger ones at JoAnn’s ~ near the silk flowers}
  • Sponge applicator brush
  • Hot Glue Gun
  • Small Pictures {cut out from magazines or scrapbook paper}

• Find small pictures that you would like to use for your magnets.  Bright pictures with vivid colors work great!  I used pictures cut out from free and cheap magazines and from scrapbook paper scraps.  {tip: photos printed on photo paper and stickers don’t work well for this project ~ just trust me} ;)
  • Place marble over picture to visualize what it will look like.  Trace around marble, then cut out picture… just a smidge inside the traced line.
  • Apply a small amount of Mod Podge to the back {flat} side of the marble piece…

• Place marble piece on top of the picture, and press down.  Don’t worry ~ the Mod Podge will dry clear.
  • Set aside, and allow to dry.

• Once the picture has dried, attach magnet to the back using hot glue {make sure to use the hot setting on your glue gun}…

• There you have it ~ wasn’t that so easy??
  • Have fun choosing pictures, styles, sizes, and designs!
  • Here are some that I made with large marbles…

• These Marble Magnets were so simple and fun to make, I actually made a bunch!  And yes… that is ‘Jaws’ in the corner there!

• Save some for yourself, and give some as thrifty gifts!!

Easy Crafts

47 Responses to How to Make Marble Magnets {cute + thrifty!}

1. Michele says:

If you want to use an actual photo, I would suggest maybe printing a copy of the photo onto plain paper. That may work better than a real photo on photo paper.

2. Sandra says:

Thank you for these instructions! I love these magnets!

3. Angie says:

This project is soooo stinkin cute!!! Already know who’s getting these for Christmas! :) Thank you so much!!!!

4. Sharon in Cali says:

Very cute!! Thanks :)

5. Vicki Chinn says:

We used rocks and the half marbles to make Father’s Day gifts in my Children’s Church class. I put a coat of the Mod Podge on the rocks and marbles and let the children pick the one they wanted to use then they chose a picture or saying they wanted to put on them and we put the pics on and Mod Podged them about 3 or 4 times. They turned out great. We will have to use them in our Christmas gifts. I also took a clear saucer and printed a picture of my grandson and used the Mod Podge to put it on the bottom of the inter circle of the saucer, I displayed it on a small plate stand. Thanks for the reminders and for ALL you do.

6. Dana says:

My son and I were looking for something unique for his teacher at Christmas. Like she needs another mug or candy item LOL! Thanks a bunch.

7. stefanie lujan says:

You can get a bag of the flat marbles at the dollar store. :)

8. Terry says:

You can also make thumbtacks for your kid’s bulletin board. Glue the back of an ordinary thumbtack on the back instead of a magnet. We saw this in American Girl magazine many years ago.

9. jenn says:

Where do you get the magnets?

10. Heidi says:

Hi Jenn ~ you can find the magnets at most craft stores or home improvement stores. {I’ve purchased them from Lowe’s and Hobby Lobby} ;)

11. Misty says:

You can make these with your regular photos and just use some hot glue instead of Mod Podge. I made a bunch with my daughter’s face a few years back for her grandparent’s x-mas gifts; they loved them!

12. Beautiful!! Thank you so much for the instructions!! These are going to be a HIT for Christmas!!!!

13. Wichita says:

This is a fantastic craft idea! Those would be great for miniature, real life FB “Flair.” :D

Thanks for the idea and the instructions. Can you tell me what these cost in the store? I haven’t seen them before. (Whatever the price, a bottle of ModPodge and a bag of flat marbles is probably pretty cheap in comparison.)

14. Kyla May says:

We’ve made these before and they’re so much fun.

Hobby Center in Nampa has double sided sticky type paper and it is so easy then you don’t have to use the Mod Podge or brushes :)

15. cindy says:

Thanks so much for this project! Its so kewl! You ROCK!!

16. Dana says:

I got a 1 inch hole punch (the exact size of those flat marbles) and punched scrapbook paper. It was much easier than cutting those little circles and much quicker.

17. Tina says:

at JoAnn’s-Marble Accents (by the floral dept)were 2.49 for a bag of 22, magnets were 2.49 for 8 of them, Mod Podge 8oz was 4.99 (and you only use just a swipe of it). If you watch for sales and use coupons these are so inexpensive! My 7 & 9 year olds made some this weekend, piece of cake! You could do food pictures on them for a good teacher gift to accent any kitchen.

18. Sarah says:

I picked up a bunch of supplies today at Hobby Lobby, $6.99 for 50 magnets, and $2.99 for 2lbs (aprox 60) of 1 inch flat marbles, but… I started freaking out, even though they are clear, they are a little bit irridescent, just a twinge of rainbow color in the light…. will the pictures still show well through them or did I just waste my money on those marbles?!?! They were the only ones they had. This is super cute, can’t wait til DH finds my hot glue gun he “borrowed”

19. Anita says:

I make these using diamond glaze (http://www.diamondglaze.com/) and add a silver or gold Aanraku bail to the back. They can be worn as jewelry if they are sealed properly. They are not waterproof, but hold up very well with regular wear.

20. Melissa says:

I made some last weekend with sales flyers I found in the newspaper. I got a smaller bottle of Mod Podge for like $3. They are sooooo cute! With the Halloween ads I got all sorts of good pics like skeletons, spiders, Batman and Spiderman!