How to Make Handprint {and Footprint} Canvas Art! {tutorial}

How to Make Handprint and Footprint Canvas Art - tutorial at TheFrugalGirls.com

Pin It Post Buttons

On the hunt for another fun decoration or thrifty gift idea??  Call your kiddos on over… it’s time to make some Handprint {and Footprint} Canvas Art! ;)

Following is a fun guest post and project submitted by frugal friend Kim… Enjoy!!

• 12×12 canvases {Kim used a coupon to get them for less than $2 each at Michaels!}
  • Washable paints {various colors}

• Finger paint {or brush on} a solid color of washable paint on the white canvas for a background.
  • After it has dried, have the kids carefully place a painted hand or footprint down in the middle.
  • After the hand print or foot print has dried… you can have fun turning them into animals!  I used a sharpie to draw in the details, and was inspired by some ideas here.
  • After all of the steps above have dried, spray canvases with a few coats of matte clear acrylic sealer, to help seal them, keep the colors sharp, and keep the paint from washing away over time.
  • You can even add googly eyes for some added character, too!
  • Write the kids’ names and ages on the back… then hang!  {or give as a fun, thrifty gift!}

Handprint and Footprint Canvas ArtPin It Post Buttons

Here are a few of the canvases we made:

Elephant Handprint…

Butterfly Footprint…

Bee Footprint…

Fish Handprint…

We also made some as gifts for Grandpa and Grandma!  For our farmer grandparents, I made a basic barn, and each child made a cow and horse handprint.

We saw some horses, cows & pigs as a craft at a local pumpkin patch last fall.  I wasn’t willing to pay someone else to do that with my kids, but I figured I could duplicate it at home… so we did – and my kids LOVED it!

I drew a basic barn (no art skills here!) and with lots of help, let my 3 year old finger paint it red. Then each child put a white and brown handprint down, on either side of the barn. I outlined the animals with a sharpie, then framed it for the grandparents for Christmas!

Here’s the farm, before it was framed…

I don’t consider myself artistic… but these were so easy!   These make fun {and thrifty} artwork ~ we display them in our playroom!  Super easy, cheap, and awesome keepsakes… in my opinion. ;)

I can’t help but smile every time I see them, and the kids adore them too because they loved making them!

Kim is a stay-at-home mom of three kids, living in San Antonio, TX.   Her kids are 3, 22 months, and they’re expecting #3 to arrive at the end of the year!  She’s in love with her Lord Jesus Christ, her husband & kids, and finding creative ways to live well on less money.

Thank you Kim for sharing your fun ideas with us all ~ you did a fabulous job!!

Easy Crafts

So… have you made any fun handprint or footprint art??

Or have you had any creative fun with canvas art?

Leave a comment & share!

16 Responses to How to Make Handprint {and Footprint} Canvas Art! {tutorial}

1. Melissa says:

This is great! We did this earlier in the summer at an amusement park and it cost us $12 per child! I Love it and now we can make more! Thanks so much for the info!

2. Dana says:

These sure seem simple with an extraordinary finished product! NICE!

3. Tracy says:

This is great! You can also do handprint calendars (http://www.cereschildcare.com/calendar.html) or fingerprint characters (http://www.dltk-kids.com/crafts/miscellaneous/fingerprint_characters.htm). You can google those to find different ideas for hand/finger/footprints!

4. Karla says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE these!!

5. Lou Deckard says:

So cute!!! I Love this!!! Will share with our Art Teacher at Tuesday School!!! :) Tks

6. Deanna says:

Related: Michael’s is clearancing artists boards. An 8 pk was 5 bucks. Would be handy for this project. (I bought some to spraypaint and make chalkboard placemats with)

7. artsy_momma says:

Thank you son much for linking back to my blog? I love how they all turned out! WOuld you mind if I featured the horse/cow one in an upcoming Handprint Farm Animals post? Does Kim have her own blog too?

Thanks!
    Amanda

• kim says:

Hey Amanda – This is Kim W from above. I do have a family blog, but it’s private. I love your handprint site – thanks for the inspiration! You’re welcome to use the horse/cow. My email is kim.wuenschel at hotmail dot com.

8. Anabella says:

OMG! This is the cutest crafts I have ever seem, I told my son’s day care this morning about them and I am taking one afternoon off to go show them how to do them! Thank for the great tips! :)

9. Tracy says:

I made these with my daughter yesterday. We had so much fun and they look awesome!!!

10. Heather says:

I did these tonight for my youngest daugther’s room- we’re moving to a new house and she will have her own room so I wanted to decorate it with personalized artwork just for her!

11. Janice says:

I’m wondering what brand of paint you used for this project. I tried doing the bumble bee one on a green background and the yellow failed to show through. Was a little disappointed. Please help… anybody?!?! Thank you!

Janice

12. alexis says:

i love those can a nine year old like myself make one

13. maria from CLOSE TO HOME says:

Featured your prints on a mothers day post today.

14. Charlene says:

What kind of paint did you use for these?

15. Cheryl Manuel says:

What a great idea! Can’t wait to try these!