No need to go hunting around trying to find Bubble Gum Ice Cream at your local ice cream parlor, when you can make this delicious Bubble Gum Ice Cream Recipe instead!
Following is a delicious Bubble Gum Ice Cream Recipe and
guest post by Veronica at CookingMorningNooNight… enjoy!!
Bubble Gum Ice Cream Recipe
A Blue Bubble Gum Ice Cream Recipe was IT for me when I was a kid. Rainbow sherbet? No thanks. You can have your Rocky Road… Bubble gum ice cream topped the charts.
And not just any one, the blue kind. Which apparently manufacturers thought was in short supply because they hoarded that stuff. I knew of one location when I was younger and I would beg my parents to take me. Unfortunately, it was a good hour away.
But you know when you are alone and you’re like: “mom, lets get donuts” and she says… “no! eat your carrots” “for breakfast?” “don’t ask questions!!” But if your friends are over she’s like… “Of course honey, what kind!?” psh… I eventually became privy to that game so when my cousin was here, I knew she’d never say no!
To this day my cousin and my favorite ice cream is still blue bubble gum. And when I was pregnant with my second son the craving struck…. I wish I could say I was motivated enough at 7 months to make homemade ice cream but I won’t lie to all of you. I was lucky enough to find it at our local grocery store here and it was fantastic.
This will sound funny though, but I was never keen on those HUGE gumballs sitting there all frozen in my ice cream. I avoid anything that stands in my way of NOT having to chew. But I did love picking them all out and setting them aside and then when everyone was done with their ice cream treat, I still had mine!
Muahahaha…. So for my ice cream recipe I found these awesome little gum “nuggets” that wont hurt if you swallow them (and I refuse to believe they sit in my stomach for 7 years…)
- 2½ cups half and half
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Blue or red extract, depending what color you want
- 12 pieces Double Bubble
- Gum Balls, Nuggets, Chiclets…. the options are endless!
- In a saucepan over medium heat, whisk together all of the ingredients up to the Dubble Bubble. Make sure everything is combined and starting to warm through.
- Add in the pieces of bubble gum and bring to a light boil. Whisk until the gum is practically melted and the base has started to thicken.
- Remove from heat and place in a sturdy container. Cover and place in the fridge until completely cold. A minimum of 6 hours but I think overnight is best.
- You might notice a lot of the gum particles have sunken to the bottom but using a fine mesh strainer pour the base through to remove any remaining.
- Pour your base into an ice cream maker and churn for a good 30 minutes. If you are adding in smaller pieces of gum, pour in during the last 10 minutes of churning. Otherwise if using the bigger gum balls combine with the ice cream once churning process is finished.
- For a “soft serve” feel eat once it’s finished otherwise, I like to freeze mine for a good 2 hours more.
What You’ll Need:
I realize you’re all thinking “What difference in flavor does the food coloring make?” “Why would pink taste any different than blue?”
It wouldn’t…. OK!? But there’s nothing more satisfactory than a blue ring around your mouth! SO it’s still my favorite.
The base has a full bubble gum flavor so gum balls aren’t even necessary! Enjoy this today!
*notice happy blue ring around mouth!!*
Veronica blogs at CookingMorningNooNight.blogspot.com! She has 2 beautiful boys who are her world, and a supportive husband who motivates her every day! She’s a self taught chef and loves to be experimental in the kitchen. She also loves to motivate other people to get in the kitchen and cook for the ones they love!
Now are you in the mood for some more Ice Cream Recipes or what?!? Check out more yummy recipes you need to try…
Score sweet-tooth heaven with these Delicious Dessert Recipes!