Homemade Vanilla Coffee Syrup Recipe!

Homemade Vanilla Coffee Syrup Recipe

Following is a delicious Coffee Recipe and guest
post by Carly at CreateliveBlog.com ~ enjoy!

I love coffee. I’m pretty sure my brain doesn’t turn on until cup 2. There’s also a Starbucks in my building… which is a blessing… and a curse. When I found myself ordering a skinny mocha latte, I often felt disappointed afterwards because it meant I’d just consumed about 115 calories (and it honestly made me just too full if I drank it right after lunch, when I really “need” it). Those liquid calories will sneak up on ya, folks. And if a tall (smallest size) skinny (their lower calorie version) latte is at least 100 calories, I shudder to imagine what their larger, non-”skinny” drinks ring in at.

Then, I discovered this little combination! I’ll grab an iced, unsweetened cup of black coffee from Starbucks (or make it with the lunchroom Keurig) and squirt in a bit of my very own homemade coffee syrup (which I put in a travel size shampoo container from Walgreen’s). Ahh. Refreshment. Deliciousness. Love.

Other skinny recipes: Skinny Egg McMuffins, 25 Calorie 3-ingredient Chips, Skinny Spinach and Asparagus Dip, Grilled Eggplant Nachos, Skinny Fries

Homemade Vanilla Coffee Syrup

Calories: ZERO

Cook Time: 15 Minutes

Notes: This recipe is made with Truvia, a zero-calorie natural sweetener. If you’re not worried about calories, feel free to substitute regular granulated sugar for this recipe. Splenda works too, but I generally choose to avoid it because I prefer not to ingest something so highly chemical in nature, whenever possible.

Ingredients:

• 1 cup Water
  • 1 cup Truvia(or other Stevia product. Sugar and Splenda will both work as well, but the nutritional values will be different).
  • 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
Directions:
  1. Bring water and Truvia to a boil on the stove.
  2. Reduce to a simmer and simmer for 15 minutes.
  3. Stir in Vanilla Extract, then remove from heat and spoon or pour into containers (such as a travel-size shampoo container from Walgreen’s). Refrigerate between uses.

Carly is a young blogger living in Chicago who loves mason jars, healthy cupcakes, oxymorons, and workout music! Check her out on Facebook, Pinterest, or visit her website!

On the hunt for more fun Coffee Recipes + Tips?  Get inspired below…

How to Clean Your Coffee Maker

How to Clean Your Coffee Maker plus more tips at TheFrugalGirls.comHow to Clean Your Keurig!

How to Clean Your Keurig - at TheFrugalGirls.com

The Secret to Perfect Iced Coffee

Perfect Iced Coffee

Easy Pumpkin Spice Coffee

Easy Pumpkin Spice Coffee Recipe at TheFrugalGirls.com

Homemade Cinnamon Coffee

Homemade Cinnamon Coffee Recipe from TheFrugalGirls.com

8 Responses to Homemade Vanilla Coffee Syrup Recipe!

1. Lisa Nash says:

This is a great idea! A classic simple syrup recipe + flavoring… it could be fun to experiment with other extracts, as well (coconut, almond, etc).

2. Bert in Rice, WA says:

I love the idea of making things so you are 100% sure of what you are putting in to your body. Personally I am hooked on hazelnut!) One thing to consider, though, is that a shampoo container is not made of food grade plastic. What about something like a well-cleaned small Tobasco bottle? That would freak people out, and those small glass bottles are rather sturdy.

3. NF says:

How long does this last in the refrigerator?

• Alicia says:

Similar store bought syrups pretty much last forever when stored in the refrigerator because there is so much sugar in them. I made this and it lasted me a few weeks and I had no issues. I did, however, make it a second time in which my husband thought it didn’t belong in the refrigerator so he took it out. I found it and went to use it and it had mold in it. Make sure you refrigerate!

4. Alicia says:

I made this both with Splenda and with regular sugar (just based on what I had on hand.) The Splenda was great and tasted a lot like the store bought vanilla syrup, but the sugar was not actually sweet enough like the Splenda was. It has been my experience that 1 cup of calorie free sugar is not typically equivalent to 1 cup of regular sugar, so I would suggest experimenting with the amount of sugar if you choose to go that direction.

5. Loren says:

I work with a man that is NUTS about flavored coffee’s and flavored soda’s. He has to drink sugar free so this is a BIG PLUS for him. Gonna try it today.

*Just a note for some of you that don’t know. Truvia is a brand name, it is actually extracted from a plant called Stevia. You can get Stevia from your local grocers without paying the brand name cost.

6. KelleyP says:

I suggest adding the vanilla of heat to retain the flavor better.

How does the stevia version behave? Does it get thicker with boiling like a sugar syrup?