Once upon a time, I was in the mood for something spicy. And by spicy, I mean salsa. But I wanted spicy, chunky salsa. And I wanted some color.
So I whipped up this recipe. And then there we sat, a delicious bowl of Salsa in front of us, with no chips. How could I forget the chips?!
My partner in crime said… Darn. I wish we had chips.
My response? Give me ten minutes.
And, true to my word, ten minutes later, I had semi-homemade tortilla chips (thank God we had a bag of “authentic” corn tortillas hanging around!). And the rest, as they say, is history!
…oh, but did I mention the whole bowl is only 206 calories (and with 42% of your daily FIBER intake?!)
Spicy Corn and Black Bean Salsa
Calories Total: 206 (for the salsa recipe only)
Calories Per Serving: 52 (based on 4 servings)
Prep Time: 2 Minutes
- 1/2 Cup Corn (Look for Whole Kernal Corn and try to avoid any corn that says “Sweet,””Sweetened,” etc)
- 2 Tomatoes, diced (or 1 cup Canned Crushed Tomatoes with No Salt Added)
- 1/2 cup Organic Black Beans (if buying a can, look for no added salt or low sodium)
- 2 tsp Sriracha Sauce (or 1 tsp for a more mild salsa)
Ingredients for Homemade Tortilla Chips (Just in case!):
- 8-10 corn tortillas (look for the lowest calorie bag. I’ve found that authentic is actually better in this particular quest!)
Directions for Salsa:
- Combine all ingredients and mix well
- Serve with chips!
Directions for Homemade Tortilla Chips (Just in case!):
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Stack Tortillas on top of each other and then cut them, all at once, into 4 triangle pieces for large chips or 8 for small chips.
- Place on an un-greased cookie sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes or until crispy. Make sure to test a chip before you turn the oven off! If they’re not crispy enough, keep them in for another few minutes.
Craving more delicious Salsa Recipes? Get inspired below…