How to Organize Magazines {+ Creative Uses for Old Magazines}

With all of the great Magazine Freebies & Deals we’ve been scoring, it doesn’t take long for our magazine stacks to start piling up!!

Frugal friend Maegan needs YOUR help, and is on the hunt for tips to organizer her magazines!

After I’ve read my magazines… I love to use them to make Fun Marble Magnets, pass them on to friends, and I even just found a used bookstore nearby that will buy them for 25 cents each!  {which will more than pay for some of these subscriptions!} ;)

{how to make marble magnets}

How do YOU organize your magazines or creatively put them to use after you’ve read them??

Leave a comment & share!

60 Responses to How to Organize Magazines {+ Creative Uses for Old Magazines}

1. Janalee says:

I was just trying to figure out how to organize all the recipes and exercise information in my plethora of magazines!! Ideas?

• Linda says:

I bought a binder at Office Depot with one of my gift cards from all the awesome rebates there, and then bought an A-Z set of dividers for the binder. I then went through all of my collected recipes from online or in magazines, and sorted them by main ingredient, while pitching a bunch of them. Hope this helps!

• barbette says:

I love my family circle and vogue. I have so many.I also have 5 kids who are constantly wareing out binders and throwing them away but the clamps are still good inside.So i cleaned up the outsides and organized my mag.s by date used a hole punch and put my mags inside. I can fit up to 5 in a small binder.So now when i want a recipe or an article i just look them up.They stay neat compact and organised and in good condition.

2. Emily Nelson says:

*I heard that there is an organization that will take old magazines and ship them to troops overseas.

*I tear out parenting articles that I want to keep for reference. Then I put them in a page protector and into a folder. I have a the articles separated by topic: Behavior, Craft / Party Ideas, Health, etc.

*I also tear our pictures I want to use to add t0 my scrapbook or to create a collage of some sort.

3. Jennifer says:

I Tear out articles I want to save and put them in plastic sleeve protectors and store them in 3-ring binders. I buy bigger binders and use dividers to categorize. For smaller articles and recipes that just take up half a page or less – I cut them out and glue them on a piece of printer paper. I then hole punch and again put in binders by category. This saves on having to buy plastic sleeves which can be expensive. A package of those little round reinforcers is a lot cheaper!

4. steff says:

I sell them in batches at the flea market or sometimes on eBay if they are good ones!

5. Trisha says:

I work at a Preschool, so I take all my magazines to work for the kids to use for crafts. Before I do that though I tear out my favorite ideas and keep them in my “idea book”.

• Cheryl says:

I think that is a great way to use them. As a kid we used rolled magazine pages to paste to a coffee can or a larger or smaller can. We would paste the pages longside around the can and made waste baskets, pencil holders. They actually could be very feminine or masculine depending on colours used. I still remember how proud I was to give to Mom. Just a thought.

6. Dani says:

I like to cut things I dream about or would like in the future and recipes (I am a young wife) and put it in a “dream book”. This way I don’t have to keep the magazines forever.

7. Cherie Carr says:

I take them to work for my students to use to make crafts and things! If they are not to old I also donate to the local nursing home, those poor folks never get anything “new” to read!

8. Athena says:

I bring them to my gym :)

9. My sister-in-law used to be the activity director at a local nursing home. She was always asking me for my magazines after I’d read them – even the Cosmopolitans! The residents didn’t really care what they had; they just wanted something – anything! – to read.

10. Erica says:

I take them to half price bookstore and sell them.. What doesnt sell, they take to the local veterans hospital.. Also pass down to my family friends and coworkers..

11. Donna Early says:

I volunteer for an organization called “Books for Soldiers” and as soon as I’ve finished with a magazine, I put it in a collection bin to send to soldiers overseas. A lot of my old magazines appeal to the female soldiers who are deployed right now.

12. June Black says:

I really am a frugal girl. After reading, my magazines go to Half Price Books where I take the cash or my kids get a new book each, just love it !

13. Liz says:

i make them into beads, then glue the beads onto frames to sell or give as gifts!

14. alicia says:

i give the kids a pair of scissors, glue sticks, and let them make collages. they love to decorate their rooms with their “art”

15. Stephanie Sanchez says:

I have a serious magazine addiction. I currently hold 20 subscriptions just for myself and my daughter has her own kid ones. I have certain ones I keep no matter what, ie: Food Network, Cosmo, Taste of Home… The rest I tear out articles I want to keep and then I bring them up to work and leave them in an empty shelf. Any time things are slow or someone needs a distraction at lunch or break they know where to find them.

16. Leanna Morris says:

If it’s a cooking magazine, I tear out the recipes I want to try. Then, all my magazines are passed on to family members, who pass them on to others, or I take them to our local food and clothing bank where they are in a bin for free!

17. Stacey Patterson says:

I donate mine to the local high school. With all the education cuts they are only getting 2 subscriptions this year! So, they LOVE that I donate all my magazines to them.

18. Patti says:

Cut out interesting/ colorful pics & decoupage them onto a wooden chair that you’d like to refinish anyway. Pick glossy, beautiful colors. Match it to what’s already in your sun room, extra/bonus room, etc. or create a “theme” chair. You can always put the finished product (decoupaged chair) into a silent auction with proceeds going to your favorite charity.

19. Patti says:

Ever sit in your doctors’ or dentists’ office thumbing through old, worn out, out of date mags? Most of the mags in their waiting rooms have come from their employees … so … next time you are in a waiting room, leave your mags – just make sure your name/address and any other personal info that might be on the mag is removed first!